Options

Canon miniDV camcorders

fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
edited February 18, 2005 in The Big Picture
I dropped by SJ Camera today to pick up my 580EX that was sent in for warranty repair (something rattling inside), and while I was waiting for the dude to bring it out from the back, I glanced over at the camcorder counter. Wow...those Canon's are small and sexy. There must have been a dozen of them that all were about the same size and form factor.

Our current camcorder is a Sony miniDV, but it's been sucking hind tit lately...quite obsolete, the viewfinder is broken, and for a compact camera, it's pretty hefty. So, I'm thinking of getting one of the new Canons for wifeypoo to shoot our little darlings beating on eachother.

About all I know is that there is the Elura line and the Optura line. I'm assuming (based on price) that the Optura is higher-end than the Elura.

Any recommendations? I'd like IS, and I don't need still photo capability.

:ear
"Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
"The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson

Comments

• Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2005
  • Options
    edited February 18, 2005
    Seymore wrote:
    wifeypoo? headscratch.gif I thought you were... Ummm... But you said... errrrrrr... OK, whatever! :D
    yeah, so I'm a bearded lesbian.
    There are a couple good places I found when looking for mine a year ago...

AbbysGuide.com
    Camcorderinfo.com

HTH...
    Thanks for the links. I'm thinking the new Optura 50 or 60 would be about what I'm looking for. Apparently available next month? So I've got some time to do my research.

For some reason, I keep upgrading to Sony and I'm on my fourth Sony camcorder. They always break. This one went in a couple of years ago for a flatrate repair, and now it's not worth even that flatrate anymore, so it's time to get something new. I've become enamored with Canon digiphoto gear, so I'm inclined to go that way with video as well.
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    edited February 18, 2005
    DavidTO wrote:
    groovy! they're firewire! ylsuper.gif