Options

LPS: Talkin' 'Bout What We've Learned!!!

HoofClixHoofClix Registered Users Posts: 1,156 Major grins
edited September 19, 2007 in The Dgrin Challenges
So let's now "focus" on some specific things that we've learned and put into practice in this LPS game, and possibly some things we recognize that we need to spend some more time learning about. Maybe others will see they need to learn that too...........
:marlin
Mark
www.HoofClix.com / Personal Facebook / Facebook Page
and I do believe its true.. that there are roads left in both of our shoes..

Comments

• Options
    edited August 27, 2007
    For me, it's crop, crop, crop... Got to learn to look for the image within the capture.... Helped my "Surf or Turf" entry be a meaningful image rather than just another snapshot..

Then now I know I need to learn more about layering images. I actually got myself into a class here locally, with an experienced interior photographer who I know and respect....
    Mark
  • Options
    LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2007
    When I decided to start shooting for LPS (back in the oooooold days of LPS#1) I decided to treat it as a year long course in photography. My first goal was to learn how to use light more effectively. In one way or another I have tried to make the light part of the story in most of my entries. So far, I think the effort is paying off. I find my approach to light is considerably more sophisticated than it was 6 months ago. That said, there is much more to learn and I don't ever expect to feel like I am done studying light.
  • Options
    pemmettpemmett Registered Users Posts: 507 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2007
    LiquidAir wrote:
    ...I decided to treat it as a year long course in photography...

That's exactly what I've decided as well.
    LiquidAir wrote:
    ...My first goal was to learn how to use light more effectively. In one way or another I have tried to make the light part of the story in most of my entries...

I wish I could be writing the same thing, but I'll probably start doing this later in the year, more likely in next year LPS

Most of all I've decided to have fun leanring and not take myself so seriously anymore. Best thing is that I enjoy photography and I like the shots that I'm starting to take - even hung a few up on my wall :-)
    "Take a moment to capture a memory that will last forever"
    My images | My blog | My free course
  • Options
    TentacionTentacion Registered Users Posts: 940 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2007
    Tough question Mark...REAL Tough...

I don't know what I've learned, but I will say I'm having fun, enjoying the debates and banter, like sharing ideas. I like variety, and I like my personality, which is diverser, so that is how it shows in my photos...Diverse. I never stick to one particular area.

I will say, that I don't think I ever want to stop learning it is an ongoing process, and once I stop learning or expanding my horizons..then I need to change my passion, cuz it will no longer be a passion for me, but a burden. (did this make sense..Laughing.gif).
    You're only as good as your next photo....
    One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote
  • Options
    indiegirlindiegirl Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2007
    I'm focusing on the following:
    • Context
    • Post Processing
    • Lighting
    I, too, am treating the LPS as a photography course.

Jesse
  • Options
    BistiArtBistiArt Registered Users Posts: 307 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2007
    What have I learned from LPS?
    Between some of the award-winning individuals in our camera club, LPS, and the recent State fair shots, I've learned there are some outstanding photographers who willingly give their time and energy in mentorship and to extend the betterment of their own knowledge through a variety of approaches to photography. I think the biggest difference is where some people will go to get that shot in their minds eye, dress it, then present it for critique, before putting it 'all' on line.
    I learned from each of those critiques...

I've learned that there are 'anonymous' photographers out in the smugmug world who will unselfishly give of their time and concern, who do have a good eye, and who simply make the life of everyone around them somewhat better.

I’ve learned that this smugmug internet community is full of very interesting people, each of whom leads not only a busy life, but is a serious LPS contributor. Although a camera club member, I do not hear of other groups similar to our contingent on smugmug; of course, that may be a limitation of the camera club members.

I've also learned some of my own learning is benefiting others when I offer cogent comments about some of the images submitted LPS.

What have I NOT learned from LPS?

Clearly, I've learned I need to be more imaginative. It took awhile for me to become active in our discussions. And, it's been awhile since I submitted; in this last case, there have been other tedious things on my plate.
    Nevertheless, probably the biggest thing between LPS and the State fair was to try to broaden out what I will shoot, the techniques required for such shooting, et cetera.

Of course, during all this, I've been trying to master intricate subtleties of CS3, download podcasts and learn at that level, conduct informal discussions with others, and just try to get to be a better photographer!

Joe

[FONT=&quot]As You Think, So Shall You BE... Rumi, 13th Century Persian Poet

Award-Winning Photography, Workshop Instructor, Storyteller, Writer

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Blog: [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Pathways of Light[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] Workshops: Creating Fine Art Magic[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    Book: Paths of Light [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Workshops: 2011 Lightroom 3 Workshops
    [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Galleries, Bisti Art
    [/FONT]
  • Options
    RobertRobert Registered Users Posts: 148 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2007
    I’ve learned that:
    - I’m no use in forums. My brain doesn’t function in that way and I am a very slow typist. By the time I’ve written my reply there are ten more posts already.
    - Too many people talking at the same time. Too many having monologs.
    - Some times I just can’t keep my mouth shut.

I use dgrin for learning to keep the momentum going and for variety, not for reaching my goal. When you get too much training you can loose your creativity and definitely the fun. For those of us that are in it for the fun, it’s very easy to forget, when competitiveness takes over.

I’ve decided to stick to ‘the challenge’ when I can manage timewise…
    …and hopefully get myself a smugmug account for Christmas ;)
    Robert
  • Options
    DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2007
    I'm not sure what I've learned except most people prefer the work of other photographers rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif

And, that most people seem to LIKE and perhaps expect a lot of photoshop and composite work. Take SHatch for example, compositing over the top... yet people love his efforts.

I've learned other photographers put a whole lot more effort and time and travel into their shots than I do.

I've learned some photographers get up before dawn (such a concept) :D

And a lot of photographers will go to elaborate lengths for their photos (dry ice anyone?) (And I don't mean to single out LiquidAir, either, who graciously answered my questions about dry ice, but many other photographers who used dry ice very effectively. I'm anxious to buy some and try it myself.)

And a lot of photographers will use very artful studio set ups and lighting for their photos.

And a lot of photographers come up with really good ideas and concepts.

It's become more about the "styling" of photos, than just waiting for nature to light up a beautiful landscape, or so it appears to me in this LPS challenge.

The more I write about this the more out of my league I feel. Sigh...:D

Oh, and a lot of photographers hate color, preferring black and white and tones of sepia, and the judges and voters agree.

So as a "see it, shoot it, and move on" type of photographer, with no specialty, if it grabs my eye, I shoot it... although nature is my first love... I'm beginning to think there's not much chance for me in contests of this type.

I must confess here, that I've been known to spend mega hours on taking studio type shots, and post processing them, I just don't enter those in challenges, as they are taken for other purposes.

I do use photoshop, but mostly using raw adjustments to enhance the photo (most of the time) and to make it look like how I remembered the scene. I'll clone out stuff, fix stuff, push up the contrast and colors, take two exposures and blend them, but I'm no where near Shay's or shatch's area of comfort at all when it comes to their post processing methods.

So I've learned the Challenge is not only about photography, but how photography and photoshop creates an art piece. Not saying that is bad, just an observation. A straight photo is rarely "good enough" it seems to me. Now I know there are exceptions for sure... and granted, any dSLR image straight out of the camera just has to be "developed."

But I'm seeing more and more of pieces of images being composited together, different skies, different clouds, blur filters, color adjustment actions, etc.

I really feel for the beginning digital photographer who has so much to learn, not only about their camera, how to see, how to capture, but also about post processing.

I watched a Lynda.com movie where this guy actually enlarged the model's eyes about 103 - 104% to make the eyes stand out more, so I guess this is way more common than I think. Never mind the other retouching he did as a standard practice.

I've also learned I have no idea what will grab the "popular" vote, either of judges or voters, I only manage to guess 1/3 to 1/2 most of the time.

I'll shut up now rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited August 31, 2007
    Dee wrote:
    So as a "see it, shoot it, and move on" type of photographer, with no specialty, if it grabs my eye, I shoot it... although nature is my first love... I'm beginning to think there's not much chance for me in contests of this type....
    .....a straight photo is rarely "good enough" it seems to me...
    This is what I had to learn to overcome when I got on this train... There's at least some self respect to be had in taking the challenge of getting as much of your image right there in the camera, before the file is even transferred...
    Robert wrote:
    ....too many having monologues...
    That would be me, of course.
    Mark
  • Options
    indiegirlindiegirl Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2007
    I've learned that I sure miss you all when "real life" takes over. I've learned that I have a lot to learn about being a good photographer.
  • Options
    sherstonesherstone Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,356 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2007
    Ppp
    Three main things I have had to continually remind myself of throughout this contest.

1. Patience
    2. Perseverance
    3. Prosper

The third 'Prosper' is a combination of the richness of shared knowledege and participation of all of you and my other peers who I associate with, along with the never ending opportunity to learn something new and exciting each day.
  • Options
    RobertRobert Registered Users Posts: 148 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2007
    HoofClix wrote:
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robert
    ....too many having monologues...

That would be me, of course.
    Wouldn’t dream of pointing the finger at anyone.
    (See, I’ve learned to keep my mouth shut :D )
    Robert
  • Options
    dlscott56dlscott56 Registered Users Posts: 1,324 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2007
    I learn something new every time I come to the forums at Digital Grin. Not just LPS. Looking at all of your photography, entries, and following the discussions prior to LPS deadlines has been invaluable to me. So many incredible photographers here. Even if I'm not participating in the discussion or entering into the contest, I love to read every post and every reply, and study every image. I learn from reading the discussions on which photo to post and why, everyones opinion about how a photo could be improved or just why they like/dislike it. I've learned soooooo much. Mostly I've learned that I really have tons to learn still. For every one thing I 'get', I find 10 more that I didn't even realize were there to learn about photography.

Probably one of the biggest things I've improved on is post processing. It's also one of the areas that I still need the most work on. Learned to keep shooting and keep trying.
  • Options
    SunsetSailorSunsetSailor Registered Users Posts: 39 Big grins
    edited September 1, 2007
    Defining the questions...
    The photographers who compete here have already mastered the mechanics of camera use and the skill of capturing the photo they want. So what takes them and hopefully the rest of us to the next level are the skills, imagination and artistry of being able to make each image stand out from the rest of good to excellent photos in each competition. That takes creativity, confidence and courage because each time you deviate from the acceptable and proven, you will have to risk your own ego and that image’s rejection. The subject of your entry must be more than good, it must border on exceptional and then you must be willing to make it your own in some special way. That decisive moment is where I teeter ne_nau.gif, needing so much to stay with the sure and nicely acceptable and not willing to expose the unique parts of me to the entire world here on LPS. So I must ask this question, do I like this image because it goes into new and unexplored areas within me or because it will please most of its viewers?
    What I am beginning to trust here is that most of the photographers who are participating in the contests or are just lurking, are grappling with this same issue and actively support the efforts of each competitor. What a wonderful and generous environment in which to grow creatively!clap.gif
    Laura
    [FONT=georgia, bookman old style, palatino linotype, book antiqua, palatino, trebuchet ms, helvetica, garamond, sans-serif, arial, verdana, avante garde, century gothic, comic sans ms, times, times new roman, serif] The goal is not to change your subjects, but for the subject to change the photographer. ~Author Unknown

Olympus EVolt 500
    [/FONT]
    http://sunsetsailor.smugmug.com
  • Options
    FeliciaFelicia Registered Users Posts: 385 Major grins
    edited September 19, 2007
    I had to sit on this question for a while to figure what exactly I have learned... This is what I've come with:

- It's important to start with an image in your head and aim to create it in a photo

- Great photos "tell a story" or invite the viewer to "create a story"

- Great photos stir emotions in the viewer and make them want to linger on the photo to absorb additional nuances.

- Photoediting/compositing software is a really cool tool to "flesh out" your internal image

- People have so many differing "personal filters" that's it's impossible to please everyone - hence stick to creating your image and making it as great as you can

- When I'm most frustrated and feel like giving up, I'm actually on the verge of a creative breakthrough if I just keep pushing on.
    "Just because no one understands you doesn't mean you're an artist."

www.feliciabphotography.com
  • Options
    TentacionTentacion Registered Users Posts: 940 Major grins
    I love this "Quote by Truman Capote"

"One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote, Famous Author

Then I realized, I am not a writer so I changed that verbage to "Photograher" and it fits...cuz...

To suffer the rejections, the never ending criticisms, to delight in the one day highs, and anquish over the 6 day lows, to want to throw your hands up, all the while questioning ..."Is it worth it?" Fully knowing in the end, that reason, and logic, go out the window, as you grab your faithful companion in hopes of getting that next great photo.

To be a photographer requires dedication, love of art, commitment, a form of armadillo skin and guts. This is my passion, this is my madness, and hence....This is MY WHIP!!

And, this is what I have learned..That No Matter What, a Photographer is What I Want To Be !!!

wings.gif Donnnnnnnnnnnaaaaaaaaaaaa
    You're only as good as your next photo....
    One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote
  • Options
    Pat664422Pat664422 Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    I didn’t respond to this thread initially because it’s taken me a while to understand exactly what I have learned from this contest.

I think the thing I have focused on the most is separating my attachment from my own photos and trying to see them from someone else’s eyes, to determine if the picture really communicates the theme to a first time viewer.

Another thing I have really focused on is trying to be creative with the theme. My job is computer programming and while that provides opportunities for “creative solutions” I don’t know that the right side of the brain gets enough work. So I’ve thought that photography along with the inspiration of this contest will hopefully balance me out a bit more.

I have learned that telling a story with the elements of my pictures is important – I probably wouldn’t have thought to have the cookies in the hands half-eaten and crumbs on the table in my gluttony picture before.

I gained the most in working on my freedom picture. With this forum’s help I discovered that cropping can really make a difference and also some basic photoshop techniques. I processed a raw image, mainly by mistake, for the first time when it mattered. But what I appreciate most from making that picture is that I learned to look up at the sky more often to see if I can find that beautiful contrast of the white puffy clouds and dark blue sky that only seems to happen at certain times in the day – a little bit more of an appreciation for this world around us that provides so many great photo opportunities.