Which flash for Lumix DMC-FZ50 ?

gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
edited September 3, 2007 in Accessories
A friend has asked me to get him a flash for this camera, i have no possible idea...the only one i could see googling was the one that was over $500 :huh ..the DMW range. Actually it appears that is the only one avail for it.

Anyone able to point me towards a flash (nothing that cooks breakfast please..just an external flash) that works well with the camera.

Ta Gus

Comments

• Mr. 2H2OMr. 2H2O Registered Users Posts: 427 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2007
    gus wrote:
    A friend has asked me to get him a flash for this camera, i have no possible idea...the only one i could see googling was the one that was over $500 eek7.gif ..the DMW range. Actually it appears that is the only one avail for it.

Anyone able to point me towards a flash (nothing that cooks breakfast please..just an external flash) that works well with the camera.

Ta Gus

Gus,
    I have a FZ50 and guys who own them use the Olympus FL-36 and FL-50 and they both allow full TTL control.

- Mike
    Olympus E-30
    IR Modified Sony F717
    http://2H2OPhoto.smugmug.com
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2007
    Gus

How about one of the sigmas or Sunpak shoe maounts......for that matter a great flash that appeared back on the market a year or so ago is the VIVATAR 285.......Have found it on the internet for under$100 or locally for almost 250usd.............the Vivatar 285 was the flash of chiuce for many pro in the early days of compact shoemount flashes.......reliable and powerful with auto and manual settings.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Mr. 2H2OMr. 2H2O Registered Users Posts: 427 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2007
    Art Scott wrote:
    Gus

How about one of the sigmas or Sunpak shoe maounts......for that matter a great flash that appeared back on the market a year or so ago is the VIVATAR 285.......Have found it on the internet for under$100 or locally for almost 250usd.............the Vivatar 285 was the flash of chiuce for many pro in the early days of compact shoemount flashes.......reliable and powerful with auto and manual settings.

Art,
    You are right that there are great shoe flashes out there - I personally use an old Nikon SB-20. Panasonic has a really great exposure routine and the TTL algorithm using the on-board flash is really good. If someone wants to use those TTL routines for an external flash, the only options right now are Olympus and Panasonic flashes.

- Mike
    Olympus E-30
    IR Modified Sony F717
    http://2H2OPhoto.smugmug.com
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2007
    Tks fellas...thumb.gif