Options

Thread removal

~Jan~~Jan~ Registered Users Posts: 966 Major grins
edited September 1, 2007 in Dgrin Forum Support

Comments

• Options
    devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited August 30, 2007
    Typically we don't delete threads, especially stuff in our SmugMug support forums...as information in such threads can be very useful to other people.

What search term are you googling ? If I google Jan Scott Photography, I see your SmugMug site as #1 with no sight of a dgrin post.

Cheers,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    ~Jan~~Jan~ Registered Users Posts: 966 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2007
  • Options
    cabbeycabbey Registered Users Posts: 1,053 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2007
    ~Jan~ wrote:
    Why they enter www.etc. on Google is beyond me, but they do.

It's kinda scary to watch the older generation use computers, and I mean folks in their 70s and up. Often once they figure out one way to find something they use it to find everything. I've watched great-grandmothers showing their bridge pals pictures of their grandkids and they launch a new Mozilla window which comes up with that big google search box, then they type in the full url on the search box and hit "search". If they've learned a web address from the radio, or tv, or by word of mouth... same thing... they type it in that all knowing google box and hit enter. My father is no different, and he's no where near that age group.

Heck, I've even done it a time or two lately when I've been holding the baby and typing one handed... apple-t to open a new tab, focus is already in the google box, type the url I want and hit enter. As long as it gets you to the right place, folks will continue to do it... no matter how much it makes computer people's heads hurt to think about it.
    SmugMug Sorcerer - Engineering Team Champion for Commerce, Finance, Security, and Data Support
    http://wall-art.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    thebigskythebigsky Registered Users Posts: 1,052 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2007
    Yes, I've experienced the same thing with my in-laws, I set up a site with pictures of our daughter, made it as simple as possible, daughtersname.com.

Anyway, they kept ringing me up and saying it didn't work, I'd try it and it would be fine, this went on for some time and then of course I discovered they were typing it into Google, doh!

Charlie