Options

Maine coast trip

aerialphotoaerialphoto Registered Users Posts: 299 Major grins
edited September 4, 2007 in Journeys
My girlfriend and I just got back from a few days in Maine. We drove from NYC with a detour to Cape Cod along the way.

For larger versions of many of these images, see my smugmug page.

Our Maine coast sight-seeing tour started with clouds and rain in Rockland, on US-1 east of Brunswick. Still, it was our first stop so we got out for a few minutes to look around and take a few snapshots:

Rockland, ME
164240694-M.jpg

Then just 20 minutes further a quick stop to stretch our legs in Lincolnville, where you can take a ferry to Islesboro, 3 miles away in the Penobscot Bay...of course there are always plenty of Lobster, seafood, and ice cream places along to way too.

Lincolnville, ME
164665847-M.jpg

164240794-M.jpg

Another 20 minutes along US-1 brought us to Belfast with some interesting buildings, art galleries, restaurants, and the oldest shoe store in the country :Crunk:.

Belfast, ME
164240897-M.jpg

164241117-M.jpg

164240991-M.jpg

164241242-M.jpg

164248730-M.jpg

Ten miles after Belfast I noticed a sign inviting tourists to see a "town and lighthouse", so we scrambled to get off US-1 and explored some of the back roads trying to find it. Eventually we found Fort Point State Park, located on Penobscot Bay just a few miles south-east of Stockton Springs, Maine. The park has a $2 entrance fee (you slide $2 into a collection box at the entrance, strictly an honor-system thing) and offers picnic areas with grills, Fort Point itself, "Fort Point Lighthouse", and a long stretch of rocky beach. The weather was improving, so we went exploring.

Fort Point, built by the British in 1759
164241486-M.jpg

Fort Point Lighthouse, built in 1857
164267395-M.jpg

Fort Point Lighthouse's "fog bell", forerunner to the modern fog-horn - built in 1890
164247532-M.jpg

Part of the beach, rocks, and seaweed
164276795-M.jpg

Just north of Stockton Springs US-1 crosses the Penobscot River to Verona, then Bucksport. The new Penobscot Narrows Bridge opened in May to replace an older steel suspension bridge. The new bridge offers an observation tower on the west side (seen here):

164281409-M.jpg

Finally, after another 40 miles of driving through picturesque landscape and a few nice small towns we arrived at Bar Harbor.

Bar Harbor is full of gift shops, restaurants, inns, ice cream shops, and thrives on tourism to the town and nearby Acadia National Park. The town has lots of affordable inns "in town", for the most part the going rates go up as you get closer to the pier. There are a couple of higher-end resort hotels on the water, and several lower-priced motels out of town. We stayed on Cottage Street with a comfortable 12 minute walk to the restaurants and park.

Cottage St, approaching Main St in Bar Harbor
164666358-M.jpg

Cottage St shops
164287190-M.jpg

164579854-M.jpg

...Turning left onto Main Street toward more shops, the park, and waterfront
164399561-M.jpg

Water Fountain in the park, overlooking the pier
164663114-M.jpg

In front of one of the many ice cream shops
164663095-M.jpg

view from the pier
164415761-M.jpg

"Moose Tracks", one of the shops. Hint: Many of the shops sell the same 'tourist-oriented' items. Most of the prices are the same, but there are a few differences. One shop was selling stickers for $2.98 while the same was available across the street for $1.50. Most places carry the same Bar Harbor badged clothing, if one shop doesn't have the color or size you want just look around for it somewhere else.
164383759-M.jpg

We ate at several places, but I think our favorite was "Geddy's" on Main Street. Friendly fast service and good food, with a laid back atmosphere. Just look for the Moose on the roof!
Geddy's
164662782-M.jpg

164310655-M.jpg

164663107-M.jpg

...and don't forget the gift shop under the restauarant, right under the license plates
164304927-M.jpg

A trip back to Cottage Street and you'll find the town movie "palace". Opened in 1932, it's a classic working theater.
164393694-M.jpg

We were strolling around after dinner one evening and happened to get to the pier around sunset. There was quite a crowd around the park and pier, we thought maybe there was something going on in town - but it turns out a lot of people go to the waterfront area just for sunset.

Sunset at Bar Harbor
164537316-M.jpg

164539001-M.jpg

164544697-M.jpg

164567370-M.jpg

164556610-M.jpg

One of my main reasons to go to Bar Harbor was Acadia National Park. The weather wasn't the best, and it was fairly chilly with a strong wind, next time I'll spend more time.

Views along Park Loop Road
164050267-M.jpg

164190312-M.jpg

Acadia Coastline
164026735-M.jpg

164190273-M.jpg

164024597-M.jpg

Views of Little Hunters Beach
164040425-M.jpg

164667399-M-0.jpg

164035633-M.jpg

Bubble Pond
164141034-M.jpg

View from the top of a very windy and cool Cadillac Mountain
164144692-M.jpg

Close-up of Bar Harbor from Cadillac Mountain
164662720-M.jpg

Comments

• Options
    saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2007
    Beautiful scenery....very picturesque! I've never been there. The photo I keep going back to is Bubble Pond. So serene and peaceful. Thanks for sharing your journey, looks like a neat place to travel to.
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,246 moderator
    edited June 19, 2007
    Uh oh! Your photos are feeding my desire for a return trip to Acadia; I think I'm addicted to the place!

I love the shot of the deer, and the Bubble Pond photo is wonderful.
    Thanks for sharing.

--- Denise
  • Options
    bsvirginianbsvirginian Registered Users Posts: 241 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2007
    clap.gif I haven't been to that area since 1980. Your travelscape makes me want to go back.
    bsvirginian
  • Options
    GP ImagesGP Images Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2007
    Great photos! I like the colors, nice shots. Thanks for sharing.
  • Options
    edited June 20, 2007
    Thanks for the comments - I can't wait to go back up that way. After stepping off the airplane into 90° heat (and humidity) I wanted to turn around get right back on :)
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2007
    thumb.gif Thanks for this thread, Scott. Maine is on the list of possibilities this summer. You have some beautiful shots.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,912 moderator
    edited June 20, 2007
    Thank you so very much for this!
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    k2butterk2butter Registered Users Posts: 259 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2007
    Really beautiful shots! I don't think I appreciate this place as much as I should! ;) (I live in Maine, about 40min from Rockland....)
  • Options
    timnosenzotimnosenzo Registered Users Posts: 405 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2007
    GREAT shots! I have been going up to the Downeast Maine area with my family for the past 7 years or so (my sister and her husband have a house in Hancock)--we really love it. You've done a great job of photographing it, I really enjoyed the gallery! thumb.gif
  • Options
    digdon1digdon1 Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited June 25, 2007
    Maine, You gotta love it!!
    Looking at your pics from Maine brought back many memories. My wife and I made numerous trips there when our daughter worked in Cutler and then in Bethel. We saw Bubble Pond and Bar Harbor Harbor from exactly the same spot as your posted pics. Thanks for the memories. rolleyes1.gif

Don
  • Options
    GinnyGinny Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited June 26, 2007
    Your Bubble Pond photo is beautiful!
  • Options
    edited June 26, 2007
    I hope it's a little clearer next time I go. I need to spend more time in a lot of those areas, and I need to pack a tripod!
  • Options
    navigator72navigator72 Banned Posts: 96 Big grins
    edited August 28, 2007
    been there
    having spent 3 years as a scenic tour pilot over Acadia national park, I can say the beauty in Acadia is amazing and your photos definitely bring the beauty out.
  • Options
    edited August 28, 2007
    having spent 3 years as a scenic tour pilot over Acadia national park, I can say the beauty in Acadia is amazing and your photos definitely bring the beauty out.

Well shucks, thanks... can't wait to get up there again, you've got a beautiful area to fly in. More interesting than these here parts :)
  • Options
    edited August 28, 2007
    Are
    Are you an aerial photographer?
  • Options
    edited August 29, 2007
    Are you an aerial photographer?

Yep. Used to have a Navajo and '206 in the stable, now just an older 310 and a 152 for fun.
  • Options
    TommyboyTommyboy Registered Users Posts: 590 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2007
    Remarkable photography. Beautifully saturated, well-lit, expertly composed shots. Really nice stuff.
    "Press the shutter when you are sure of success." —Kim Jong-il

NEW Smugmug Site
  • Options
    DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2007
    I enjoyed all the photos, especially of the towns and shops...
  • Options
    edited August 29, 2007
    Where do you shoot aerials?
    I run a small aerial photo business in Maine. Where do you do your photos?
  • Options
    edited August 29, 2007
    I run a small aerial photo business in Maine. Where do you do your photos?

east-central Florida. I fly projects from southern Georgia to the Keys, primarily. Are you shooting large format stuff, or??
  • Options
    edited August 29, 2007
    Digital
    I only shoot digital, mostly for engineering and construction companies. I have done quite a bit of work for real estate companies but they tend to be very finicky.
  • Options
    edited August 30, 2007
    Neat... we were going to try something like that years ago but never got around to it. It's hard enough getting our regular work. I use all large format (film) equipment, mostly for mapping type work for everything from engineering companies and real estate work, to DOT/Government stuff.

I posted one of my pet projects here, and some out-the-window stuff here.
  • Options
    Tessa HDTessa HD Registered Users Posts: 852 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2007
    wow - bubble pond is incredible! and the shot before it too!

Enjoyed your pics...
    Tessa
    Love to dream, and dream in color.

www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com
    www.printandportfolio.com
    This summer's wilderness photography project: www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com/gallery/3172341
  • Options
    ob_3ob_3 Registered Users Posts: 91 Big grins
    edited September 4, 2007
    Beautiful
    First i see the Nova Scotia thread, now this one !!!
    I wish my wife wanted to head north this past week instead of heading to Baltimore Inner Harbor/Annapolis/DC like we did. I doubt our truck would have been broken into and trashed in Ogunquit or Kennebunkport :-/

Love Bubble Lake
    -say cheese !

Nikon d200w/ grip, 18-70 Nikkor , 85mm 1.8 , 50mm 1.8, tokina 12-24
    Nikon n80 w/grip, 28-200 Tamron
    Fuji z6900
    old school Olympus OMG-1
    Sony DSC-H3 point and shoot
  • Options
    edited September 4, 2007
    ob_3 wrote:
    First i see the Nova Scotia thread, now this one !!!
    I wish my wife wanted to head north this past week instead of heading to Baltimore Inner Harbor/Annapolis/DC like we did. I doubt our truck would have been broken into and trashed in Ogunquit or Kennebunkport :-/

Heck, nothing would surprise me anymore!
  • Options
    jayegirljayegirl Registered Users Posts: 276 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2007
    Very nice!
    Jaye