Options

Would love some help..

4labs4labs Registered Users Posts: 2,089 Major grins
edited February 20, 2005 in Technique
I want to give this picture to my friend as a gift but I would love to know a way to sharpen it up a bit. For all you editing gurus I'd love some help.. I have PS CS but would try anything. It was shot with a 3.5-4.5 28-105mm Nikor lens 800 ISo F5 ,1/60 @ 105mm. Thnxs in advance16150939-M.jpg

Comments

• Options
    lr1811lr1811 Registered Users Posts: 363 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2005
    picture?!
    4labs wrote:
    I want to give this picture to my friend as a gift but I would love to know a way to sharpen it up a bit. For all you editing gurus I'd love some help.. I have PS CS but would try anything. It was shot with a 3.5-4.5 28-105mm Nikor lens 800 ISo F5 ,1/60 @ 105mm. Thnxs in advance16150939-M.jpg

no picture is displayed
  • Options
    edited February 19, 2005
    16157406-M-0.jpg

I think it should work now
  • Options
    KhaosKhaos Registered Users Posts: 2,435 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2005
  • Options
    lr1811lr1811 Registered Users Posts: 363 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2005
    I by no means no what I am doing in Photoshop, but I like to play around anyway...
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2005
    4labs, not an expert, but here are some suggestions.

Overall you need to raise the saturation. Also, over most of the baby's face, you need more light. And it looks a little noisy, so you might play with a discreet amount of Guassian blur to sweeten the shot and remove the noise.

First step, IMHO, would be a Curves layer to raise the brightness and contrast. Then mask off the left side of the baby's face, which is fine. Then another Adjustment Layer for Saturation. Then collapse your layers. Make a duplicate copy of the image. Put a mild Gaussian Blur on it, then play with the Opacity slider to see how much you need.

Lots of folks here at better at this than me, and may have better suggestions.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    GerryDavidGerryDavid Registered Users Posts: 439 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    Then collapse your layers. Make a duplicate copy of the image. Put a mild Gaussian Blur on it, then play with the Opacity slider to see how much you need.
    Im a fan of leaving the previous layers in tact. Instead of merging/collapsing them, you can select the top layer *not sure if thats important to this*, select all *ctrl a* and ctrl+shift+c, then ctrl v. The ctrl shift c thing copies all the layers as if they were merged. And the ctrl v pastes it as a new layer.

By leaving the layers in tact, and never touching the background layer *duplicate if you have to, ctrl + j*, you dont loose anything, and you can go back and change something if you have to. But this does result in huge files.
  • Options
    edited February 20, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    4labs, not an expert, but here are some suggestions.

Overall you need to raise the saturation. Also, over most of the baby's face, you need more light. And it looks a little noisy, so you might play with a discreet amount of Guassian blur to sweeten the shot and remove the noise.

First step, IMHO, would be a Curves layer to raise the brightness and contrast. Then mask off the left side of the baby's face, which is fine. Then another Adjustment Layer for Saturation. Then collapse your layers. Make a duplicate copy of the image. Put a mild Gaussian Blur on it, then play with the Opacity slider to see how much you need.

Lots of folks here at better at this than me, and may have better suggestions.
    Thnxs for taking the time.. I have no idea how to mask off one side but everything I tried.. Still needs work but I'll get it..
  • Options
    edited February 20, 2005
    lr1811 wrote:
    I by no means no what I am doing in Photoshop, but I like to play around anyway...
    Thnxs for teh big improvement... I think the edges are a bit too blurry for me but it is still much better than mine..
  • Options
    edited February 20, 2005
    This is what I got so far16171468-M.jpg
  • Options
    bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2005
    That looks better, smooth out the complextion like the one "Khoas" posted, and I think you'll be golden. thumb.gif
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited February 20, 2005
    I can't advise on PS but it is a great shot worthy of attention. Good luck with it.