Options

Help with shooting a partially floodlit building

henchcliffehenchcliffe Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
edited September 7, 2007 in Other Cool Shots
Hi,
I want to re-shoot this picture, maybe at a wider angle (stepping back isn't an option because it's at the end of a pier).
One of the things that's bothering me about this picture is the floodlit areas, not only are they way bright but they also completely flatten the texture. I tried some dodging in PS but, of course, that didn't help the loss of texture on the building.
I'm a PS novice, so if there's some other technique I could employ, let me know. Also, if if there is something I should try in the field for when I'm back at this location that would be most helpful too.

Thanks in advance.

182727981-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,697 moderator
    edited August 31, 2007
    You might try shooting a few minutes earlier in twilight, when the tungsten lighting will have a much lower contrast ratio with the ambient lighting.

The timeing will be important, as you will probably have only few minutes of time as a window when the ambient vs tungsten is what you need.

The other alternative would be to add flash to the dark areas, but that would be more challenging to pull off.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited August 31, 2007
    Thanks for the much appreciated advice.

I wasn't really paying attention to losing the twilight as I was busy shooting the bridge and ferry building in the area and my back was against this building most of the time; I turned around and liked the lighting for the most part but once I uploaded them was disappointed with the floodlit areas.

It's amazing how quickly you lose ambient light after the sun goes down. I'll try to time it a little better and, if the lights don't go on soon enough, I'll just have to tap on the window and tell them to turn them on for me. rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2007
    I liked it no problems for me mwink.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    edited September 7, 2007
    Thank you Awais.
  • Options
    rgbivensrgbivens Registered Users Posts: 163 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2007
    I don't know much (if anything) on the subject (actually I just read an article in PopPhoto) but you might want to try doing a HDR image.

It's basically where you take 2 or more images (using a tripod and not changing anything except the sutter speed) and combining them in photoshop. It is supposed to give you super dynamic control over your image. You could 'level out' the lighting on the building to equalize it with the sky/ambiant surroundings.

Just a thought.

-Grant
    Cameras: Nikon D200 w/grip, Nikon D70, Samsung NV11
    Lenses: Nikkor 50mm f/1.8, Nikkor 17-80mm f/3.5-4, Nikkor 70-300mm f/3.5-5.6, Lensbaby 2.0
    Accessories: Nikon SB-800, (2X) Old Flash Units, (4X) Poverty Wizards, GF Lightsphere, (3X) Lightstand and umbrella, Sandisk Extreme III 4.0 GB, Sandisk Ultra II 2.0 GB, Transcend 1.0 GB