Options

Sony cat out of the bag? A700 dSLR

W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
edited September 10, 2007 in Cameras
There's a really strange, part-formed reference to a Sony A700 at dpreview here, and pictures here, which look like they might have been posted by mistake. Or is this old news?

Comments

• Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,199 moderator
    edited September 6, 2007
    There's a really strange, part-formed reference to a Sony A700 at dpreview here, and pictures here, which look like they might have been posted by mistake. Or is this old news?

No, it's real. Curious thing is that Phil's site has the A700's review passworded right now for some strange reason. Lots of people can't get to it and it crashes their browsers.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    edited September 6, 2007
    David_S85 wrote:
    No, it's real. Curious thing is that Phil's site has the A700's review passworded right now for some strange reason. Lots of people can't get to it and it crashes their browsers.
    I click 'cancel' twice under Safari to get past the password, and I'm straight in! thumb.gif

Curious!
  • Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2007
    page loads fine and without a password for me.... ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    BigAlBigAl Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2007
    loads fine for me too.

Looks like an impressive bit of machinery on "paper".
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2007
    to me there is no "Man" factor in design in other words i don't liked the design of this one
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    kmlkml Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
    edited September 6, 2007
    Can't wait to see the images produced by this model. Interested to see how they handled the noise problems of the A100 with this new sensor in the A700.

Thanks for posting the link!
  • Options
    claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2007
    Pages loaded fine for me. I'm with Awais here, it's a big "meh" to me. Nothing compelling really. No top LCD, so it depend entrirely upon the rear screen for shooting info, kind of like a Rebel. The sensor could be pretty darn good if the assumption that it's the same one as in the D300 (new 12MP APS-C CMOS)--but we still need some reliable test shots.
  • Options
    hgernhardtjrhgernhardtjr Registered Users Posts: 417 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2007
    The new Sony dSLR has the informative screen I've wanted and the single-item control buttons strategically located so you don't have to fumble or use glasses to see the little top-mount LCD with multiple-function buttons. The rest is fairly standard fare. But I've invested too much in Canon ... oh well!

Watch this video to see what I mean about the screen info. Also, note it goes to 6400 ISO. And, of course, potentially less costly lenses (including Zeiss) since the stabilization is built into the body, not the lens. I also like the ability to use both CF and/or Memory Stick media ala my Sony F828.

http://www.dphotojournal.com/sony-alpha-a700-dslr-reviews-sample-photos/
    — Henry —
    Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
  • Options
    edited September 6, 2007
    I see dprewiew has tidied up this item now, including the missing press release and images, and there are no longer any access problems. The original post was obviously a cock-up - Sony would not be too pleased! eek7.gif
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,199 moderator
    edited September 7, 2007
    DPR A700 access no longer denied for me too. Looks like a decent camera. More cool stuff to push design & specs even higher for every manufacturer.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited September 7, 2007
    Our first impressions of the Sony Alpha 700 here:

http://www.e-fotografija.si/templates/?a=1108&z=93

Any feedback would be very welcome.
  • Options
    claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited September 10, 2007
    Looks like a contender. I personally don't care for the menus, and the grip looks like all the joke Canon PS jobs with all those controls on it--can't say whether it's good or bad without holding one.

I agree with the assessment on the sample images--some look ok, but there's a few that look a bit soft and the high-ISO processing is about what you said. Bleh!