Options

challenge 32 rules clarification

lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
edited February 20, 2005 in The Dgrin Challenges
andy wrote:
dgrin challenge 31 is here. it will run from monday, february 7th 2005 at 12:00:01 a.m. nyc time, through monday, february 21st, 2005 at noon nyc time. the guest judge for the challenge will be the winner of challenge 31, as determined by the voters.

remember, in order for everyone to benefit, you should be commenting and critiquing for others as much as you expect to get for yourself. you've got to give to get!

challenge 31 is about predominant color. subject matter and theme is wide open, but your image must have a single predominant color. i don't have a whole bunch of good examples, so i'll try and shoot along with you guys during this challenge :D

this thread, is the one into which you post your challenge entry, and remember, one entry per person, and the photo must be fresh, taken during the challenge period. you must post the date the photograph was taken or it will be deemed ineligible.

all of the rules of the dgrin photo challenges apply, please read them!.

***challenge 32 will close to entries on monday, february 21st, 2005 at 12 noon nyc time***

enjoy (challenge) photography,
Andy is this a no photoshop? or can we go to town...:wink

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2005
    lynnma wrote:
    Andy is this a no photoshop challenge?

yeah. deal.gif
  • Options
    BryanBryan Registered Users Posts: 153 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2005
    andy wrote:
    yeah. deal.gif
    I think that is yeah, no photoshop.
  • Options
    edited February 6, 2005
    Bryan wrote:
    I think that is yeah, no photoshop.

yeah. lol3.gif
  • Options
    T_S__GarpT_S__Garp Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited February 8, 2005
    Call me a rookie, call me a newbie, call me anything, but...I'm sort of new to the whole digital photograghy thing, and don't quite understand whether no photoshop means "no cropping". Since this is so far the only technique I'm using, it's important.

Thank You
    Garp
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited February 8, 2005
    T_S__Garp wrote:
    Call me a rookie, call me a newbie, call me anything, but...I'm sort of new to the whole digital photograghy thing, and don't quite understand whether no photoshop means "no cropping". Since this is so far the only technique I'm using, it's important.

Thank You
    Garp
    Psssst... read everything in here: rules of the dgrin photo challenges apply, please read them!

*** when we have a no-photoshop challenge, the following applies ***
    only basic editing is allowed. this includes minor adjustments in color, contrast, exposure, sharpness. black and white conversion is allowed (including toning for same). that's it - no cloning, filters, special effects, etc.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    T_S__GarpT_S__Garp Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited February 8, 2005
    Pssssssst.....I read it 3 times and my question still isn't answered. I mean if you can fart around with contrast thus removing the integrity of the photo, left to my own assumptions I would figure cropping was OK.
  • Options
    edited February 8, 2005
    T_S__Garp wrote:
    Pssssssst.....I read it 3 times and my question still isn't answered. I mean if you can fart around with contrast thus removing the integrity of the photo, left to my own assumptions I would figure cropping was OK.
    We've had several threads on this topic, and I've probably fueled several of them. Poke around a bit or start up a new thread so we can move this discussion out of the challenge submission thread as not to clutter it up.
    Erik

• Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited February 8, 2005
    I'm equally confused / concerned about this. To my mind "no PS" should mean just that; to the extent that one not be able to PS beyond that which could be done in a darkroom with film. Yes, I know a talented developer can do much in a darkroom however in this age of digital images and PS one can create images without ever holding a camera in their hand. (well, sort of).
    In concert with what we've read here, I would think simple cropping should be allowed.
  • Options
    Ben:::DBen:::D Registered Users Posts: 76 Big grins
    edited February 8, 2005
    Please. Like Erik said, this is NOT the thread to be discussing this. This question has been answered in detail in other threads, and if new discussion NEEDS to happen it can/should happen elsewhere.
  • Options
    edited February 9, 2005
    minor and i do mean minor cropping is allowed.

the one time we didn't allow cropping at all, was when we did "wide angle" and that was for obvious reasons.

in general, when we say "no photoshop" we're trying to adhere to the types of work that would have been done in the wet darkroom, namely, exposure (dodging, burning) minor color adjustments, and yes, some but very little, cropping. the over all idea is to get it right compositionally at shoot, not in post.

in the future, you could always pm me with your question... i've been traveling, so i missed your post.

sorry.
  • Options
    edited February 11, 2005
    there's been some discussion re: what is "predominant color?"

the color dominates but is not a single focal point.
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2005
    andy wrote:
    there's been some discussion re: what is "predominant color?"

the color dominates but is not a single focal point.

I hate to be troublesome, but this is where I have a problem. I think I am illiterate in the photography world. ne_nau.gif

In that sentence above, the definition of "single focal point" is __________

I would appreciate it. And if someone wants to write a book of these terms, I would be sure to buy it, on Amazon, used price, but a lot of people would pay full price. Of course, the meaning of a word or terms can vary with the person/people using it/them.

Andy, do you mean that a photograph with a predominant color can have another color in it?

ginger:)
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    edited February 11, 2005
    Ginger, I'll get right on that book, I could use the extra lunch money :D

Now that we have a thread for this, let's toss out some other questions that have come up a few times already: black and white conversion / toned photos. For this challenge in particular, wouldn't that be kind of unacceptable, if not a waste of time? I know my feelings on this, but am curious to see what other people think.

Q: Even if it was a great photo, would you vote for a monochrome image in a predominant color challenge?
    Erik

• Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited February 11, 2005
    DoctorIt wrote:

Now that we have a thread for this, let's toss out some other questions that have come up a few times already: black and white conversion / toned photos. For this challenge in particular, wouldn't that be kind of unacceptable, if not a waste of time? I know my feelings on this, but am curious to see what other people think.

Q: Even if it was a great photo, would you vote for a monochrome image in a predominant color challenge?
    And you think logic rules.... why? rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited February 11, 2005
    Angelo wrote:
    And you think logic rules.... why? rolleyes1.gif
    I don't get it ne_nau.gif
    Erik

• Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2005
    DoctorIt wrote:

Well, which is it? Black? Or White?

rolleyes1.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited February 11, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    Well, which is it? Black? Or White?

rolleyes1.gif
    exactly! :D
    Erik

• Options
    larklark Registered Users Posts: 155 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2005
    predominate

adj : having superior power and influence; "the predominant mood among policy-makers is optimism" [syn: overriding, paramount, predominant, preponderant, preponderating]
    v 1: be larger in number, quantity, power, status or importance; "Money reigns supreme here"; "Hispanics predominate in this neighborhood" [syn: dominate, rule, reign, prevail] 2: appear very large or occupy a commanding position; "The huge sculpture predominates over the fountain"; "Large shadows loomed on the canyon wall" [syn: loom, tower, hulk]
    Source: WordNet ® 2.0, © 2003 Princeton University

.......maybe it could have any color or many colors in it as long as one is predominate?
    den.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited February 16, 2005
    2 questions by email to me
    are frames/borders/ etc ok? YES

can one perform MINOR clone repairs? normally i'd say yes, but i'm going with NO here for this challenge, in that, it's too hard to limit what is allowed and not, namely, suppose you had a predominately fuschia photo, but one ugly spot of yellow in the pic. one might be tempted to clone that out, and so therefore, my answer is NO cloning.
  • Options
    edited February 16, 2005
    I didn't no we used to be able to do "light" cloning!
    Erik

• Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2005
    Has anyone noticed that there are 41 entries to this Challenge?

Yikes!

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.