Options

Challenge 32 Lynnma

lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
edited February 21, 2005 in The Dgrin Challenges
Took this in NY inside the Marriott in Time Sqaure during Gin Quaffing (we were treated, you need to take out a mortgage for drinks in there)
Predominent color - yellow..
USM - slight curve - no crop.. comments good bad and all please :D

15717351-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited February 11, 2005
  • Options
    rt88rt88 Registered Users Posts: 31 Big grins
    edited February 11, 2005
    Interesting photo. A bit unbalanced.
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2005
    I like it, Lynn. I know I am supposed to say more, but I am exhausted. I don't know why I like it. The yellow, the lines, maybe the elevators?........

I like it.

g (am glad you enjoyed New York)
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    edited February 12, 2005
    ginger_55 wrote:
    I like it, Lynn. I know I am supposed to say more, but I am exhausted. I don't know why I like it. The yellow, the lines, maybe the elevators?........

I like it.

g (am glad you enjoyed New York)
    Thanks ginger, I don't know if I like it either.. but it's there, and it's yellow rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2005
    I like the shot but find the tilt just a bit bothersome. Nice colors.
  • Options
    edited February 12, 2005
    GREAPER wrote:
    I like the shot but find the tilt just a bit bothersome. Nice colors.
    cudda bin the gin...rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2005
    LMAO, I guess it could.
  • Options
    digital faeriedigital faerie Registered Users Posts: 667 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2005
    lynnma wrote:
    Took this in NY inside the Marriott in Time Sqaure during Gin Quaffing (we were treated, you need to take out a mortgage for drinks in there)
    wow, I like anything that makes me feel like I might fall over backward if I look at it too long. I love the movement of this pic. Definitely fits the challenge well. The only thing that bothered me just a teeny bit was the top right corner, I keep wanting to move that piece of architecture out of the way so I can see. Does that make sense?

I like the tilt because I think the triangular shapes on the sides juxtapose well with the roundness of the column, and the perpindicular vs. horizontal lines do the same. This really is a great shot! clap.gifclap.gif
  • Options
    4labs4labs Registered Users Posts: 2,089 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2005
    Lyn maybe sipping Gin while taking pictures is a good thing.I like the angle also. I have been to that hotel a zillion times and never thought of anything to take a picture of..
  • Options
    PhotosbychuckPhotosbychuck Registered Users Posts: 1,239 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2005
    Hi, Lynn
    I like it reminds me of the Stradusppear out in Los Vegas.
    We don't any thing that big in the Marriott in Asheville, NC Laughing.gif.
    I don't think it would fit inside of the building.
    I have been trying to find something for the contest but, it is hard to decide on a subject.

Good Luck,
    Chuck,
    clap.gif
    lynnma wrote:

15717351-L.jpg
    D300S, 18-200mm VR, 70-300mm VR

Aperture Focus Photography
    http://aperturefocus.com
  • Options
    snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2005
    lynnma wrote:

15717351-S.jpg

I like it Lynn. I like the way the background makes inverted triangles on each side of the tower. It's got a good dominant color and nice strong lines. I think the slight angle gives it interest. Very nice.
    thumb.gif
    "A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
    Susan Appel Photography My Blog
  • Options
    edited February 17, 2005
    snapapple wrote:
    I like it Lynn. I like the way the background makes inverted triangles on each side of the tower. It's got a good dominant color and nice strong lines. I think the slight angle gives it interest. Very nice.
    thumb.gif
    thanks snap.. I just don't know about it.. gives me the willies a bit. Please comment on the Unmellow Yellow shot I've entered and also is this shot of Escalator terrible? it could be.. if it is please say so. :D
    16042281-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 17, 2005
    Lynn, I like the one you submitted best. It has a mood and a feel, the angle helps show it, too. I would vote for that one, I think.

The elevator is good, could make the finals, but it wouldn't win. Heck, I shouldn't have said any of that, don't know what the other one would do, either. I just like it a whole lot!

Good On You!

ginger
  • Options
    edited February 17, 2005
    Ginger thanks.. you can say what you want.. I love it when you speak your mind:D
  • Options
    edited February 17, 2005
    Terrific!
    OH YEAH! Love the Unmellow Yellow shot. Way cool. Don't love the escalator shot. Forget it. Unmellow Yellow is taken from such a great perspective. It gives such a feeling of the action. thumb.gif

Shoot, now I put your thread ahead of mine. I hope people notice that I posted a new shot. Lynn, will you take a look please?
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2005
    I think your official entry is the best of the bunch, Lynn. It's a neat idea, the yellow of the cabs, the McD's and the theater poster.

The elevator shot, to me, is OK but is lacking anything that makes it special. ne_nau.gif And I've always had trouble with the all-blurry shots. My brain doesn't get them, so I'm not a good judge of them, I'm afraid.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited February 20, 2005
    I took this yesterday and wondered if it was better or worse than my Unmellow Yellow..

comments would be most welcome.. and boy was it cold in Portsmouth NH..
    16182834-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 20, 2005
    I really like that shot Lynn. Don't think it is as good an entry as unmellow yellow where the color yellow is more obviously predominate, IMO.

Both good shots.

ginger

Did you see 41 entries?
  • Options
    edited February 20, 2005
    thanks ginger.. and this one??
    16184161-L.jpg
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited February 20, 2005
    Lynn:
    I like this photo better but not as a replacement for the entry.
  • Options
    edited February 20, 2005
    Angelo wrote:
    Lynn:
    I like this photo better but not as a replacement for the entry.
    thanks Angelo..appreciate you commenting..:D
  • Options
    edited February 20, 2005
    Oh, Lynn, you are making things difficult. And it does look like it was cold!

I am not as crazy about the rocks in front as I am the silhouette of the man there.

Also it reminds me a lot of another one on the challenge.

I would PM a lot of people. I think I would be more apt to vote for mellow yellow, but I don't know about others. That last one is especially good.

They all are. Good gosh, Lynn, who said equipment doesn't make a difference?
    You are not good for people walking around with the same stuff. Which lenses are you using. I am really feeling that gap, between 40 and 300, so basically, the gap probably best filled with the 28-70, or whatever you are using. NO MONEY! Just looked it up, that baby is not cheap!

May be going to a blues bash today. An overcast sky, the bash is in a bldg, but outside, I mean it is not heated that I know of. I have only been in late spring. Totally open to the outside and inland waterway. Around 50 here right now, I think.

ginger

Which would you vote for? I know how one thing goes. I always like my last one best...............but which would you vote for?
  • Options
    edited February 20, 2005
    ginger_55 wrote:
    Oh, Lynn, you are making things difficult. And it does look like it was cold!

I am not as crazy about the rocks in front as I am the silhouette of the man there.

Also it reminds me a lot of another one on the challenge.

I would PM a lot of people. I think I would be more apt to vote for mellow yellow, but I don't know about others. That last one is especially good.

They all are. Good gosh, Lynn, who said equipment doesn't make a difference?
    You are not good for people walking around with the same stuff. Which lenses are you using. I am really feeling that gap, between 40 and 300, so basically, the gap probably best filled with the 28-70, or whatever you are using. NO MONEY! Just looked it up, that baby is not cheap!

May be going to a blues bash today. An overcast sky, the bash is in a bldg, but outside, I mean it is not heated that I know of. I have only been in late spring. Totally open to the outside and inland waterway. Around 50 here right now, I think.

ginger

Which would you vote for? I know how one thing goes. I always like my last one best...............but which would you vote for?
    For you?? I love the pelicans that are in the challenge now..
    for me.. probably the Unmellow Yellow..
    I think I used my 50mm 1.4 Canon for the boats and the surf.. I really love that lens but I also love my sigma 24 - 70 mm.
  • Options
    edited February 20, 2005
    uh, Lynn, why would you put the 50mm on, unless you were inside, as the Sigma includes 50mm?

ginger (maybe if I understood this, I would use a 50 someday)
  • Options
    edited February 20, 2005
    ginger_55 wrote:
    uh, Lynn, why would you put the 50mm on, unless you were inside, as the Sigma includes 50mm?

ginger (maybe if I understood this, I would use a 50 someday)
    Couple of reasons.. I have it in my head that my original Canon 50mm is sharper, crisper (and better) than the sigma.. I don't really know this for sure as I havent tested it enough yet, but it feels like it. 2. The canon is much lighter and fits in my handbag (big bag) for sauntering about.

3. don't know what 3 is.

I just love that 50mm and use it whenever I want a wide angle.. tend to use the sigma more for closer up shots of people, trains, and stuff. For a wide angle? I don't think I would ever part with the Canon.. even tho I'm now "duplicated" in some ways.
    Ginger.. feels like the canon can't do anything wrong.. has a little life of it's own.
    :D
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2005
    Lynn, I reckon I still prefer the yellow one - it slyly introduces and sustains the yellow motif. Clever.

The boats is soooo close, to my eye. The blue water and the blue boat on the left are great - they really complement each other. If there were a way to make the blue boat more dominant, I reckon you'd really have something. Not sure what's distracting - maybe the shadow, maybe the white dock, maybe the overall composition. headscratch.gif If there was a way to shoot that blue boat and blue water so they took over the shot, it would be a terrific shot.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited February 21, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    Lynn, I reckon I still prefer the yellow one - it slyly introduces and sustains the yellow motif. Clever.

The boats is soooo close, to my eye. The blue water and the blue boat on the left are great - they really complement each other. If there were a way to make the blue boat more dominant, I reckon you'd really have something. Not sure what's distracting - maybe the shadow, maybe the white dock, maybe the overall composition. headscratch.gif If there was a way to shoot that blue boat and blue water so they took over the shot, it would be a terrific shot.
    thanks sid.. I know you are up to your eye balls in work right now.. appreciated you taking the time..:):
  • Options
    edited February 21, 2005
    Hey there Lynn...
    Sorry I missed this last night. I guess I was in hurry to get off to bed.

I like the shot of the boats and of the beach. Both good shots. But, for the challenge, I still prefer Mellow Yellow. It just says more to me.

I am paying attention to what you are saying about your lenses. I am reading the reviews on the new Rebel XT too. I've got to get a better camera. Not that mine is bad. It takes great 5mpx pictures and has lots of other features, but it has a fixed lens. I guess I have lens envy. That has to be it. As Ginger said though, better equipment does make for better pictures. I'll bet a 20D takes better pictures that my camera. Sigh. (Green with envy.)