a wxwaxwing in a bad mood

AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
edited December 27, 2006 in Wildlife
shot today, canon 1Ds Mark II, 70-200 f/2.8L i.s. aboard. clicky on the piccy for the exif-y.

:wxwax he just looked at me this way...

16200330-L.jpg

and here's my 17-year old, enjoying the birds....

16200857-L.jpg

enjoy (boid) photography,

Comments

• CosmicCosmic Registered Users Posts: 219 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2005
    OMG! rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif

I can't believe you captured that expression! How utterly priceless! I could think of so many captions to put under that photo clap.gifthumb.gif
    Lead me not into Temptation. I can find the way myself....

• John MuellerJohn Mueller Registered Users Posts: 2,555 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2005
    Andy,was you eating when you captured this ?rolleyes1.gif
    Very nice capture.Wish it had the geeen bg through out thumb.gif
  • gtcgtc Registered Users Posts: 916 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2005
    excellent
    i really like that shot-it must be spring-birds get a little cranky around nesting time.

i think this is the first bird photo I have seen you post-good to see you branching out yet again
    Latitude: 37° 52'South
    Longitude: 145° 08'East

Canon 20d,EFS-60mm Macro,Canon 85mm/1.8. Pentax Spotmatic SP,Pentax Super Takumars 50/1.4 &135/3.5,Pentax Super-Multi-Coated Takumars 200/4 ,300/4,400/5.6,Sigma 600/8.
  • 4labs4labs Registered Users Posts: 2,089 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2005
    What did ya do to piss him off? Great shot and what is boid?
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2005
    4labs wrote:
    What did ya do to piss him off? Great shot and what is boid?

"boid" is how day tawk in bvooklyn if dey've bin arount noo yawk a lawng toime, youse know whaddeymsayin? if not,

fuhgeddabowdid...
  • AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited February 20, 2005
    great shots Andy. that bird almost seems fake.

and great composition of your son. is that what you call selective color?
  • 4labs4labs Registered Users Posts: 2,089 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2005
    andy wrote:
    "boid" is how day tawk in bvooklyn if dey've bin arount noo yawk a lawng toime, youse know whaddeymsayin? if not,

fuhgeddabowdid...
    ..Damn blonde moment.. Born in Brooklyn I shouldne_nau.gif have known....
  • lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2005
    Blonde moment?? better watch out for Snappy..rolleyes1.gif

Andrew? that boyd is wonderful.. had me yelling "oh my god" and dh came running.. thats a kpotd if ever I saw one...clap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
    Love the second one too.. what are all those red birds??? did you clone them??headscratch.gif
    edited February 20, 2005
    lynnma wrote:
    Love the second one too.. what are all those red birds??? did you clone them??headscratch.gif

thanks lynnie :D the shot of my son oliver is a straight shot, no cloning of boids - i did remove the color, and then paint back just the birds deal.gif

thanks for stopping by, looking, and cheering!
  • GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2005
    Both great shots Andy. The birds expression is priceless and the composition is so simple it's stunning. The shot of your son looking out at the birds is wonderful as well. Great catches.
  • bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2005
    Come on fess up, you put a worm on the end of that Lens :D

Excellent thumb.gifthumb.gif
  • windozewindoze Registered Users Posts: 2,830 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2005
    i like the image of your son watching the "bee-eaters". Did you know that the Bronx Zoo actually raises / grows / breeds or whatever the term is bees to give the birds enrichment. they will let bees live out for the bee-eaters to catch. the are quite aerobatic and its something to see or so ive heard.....
    once again great images!!!!

troy

andy wrote:
    shot today, canon 1Ds Mark II, 70-200 f/2.8L i.s. aboard. clicky on the piccy for the exif-y.

umph.gif he just looked at me this way...

16200330-L.jpg

and here's my 17-year old, enjoying the birds....

16200857-L.jpg

• Yuri PautovYuri Pautov Registered Users Posts: 1,918 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2005
    Super photos, Andy!
    Esp. I like the second (you know my taste)
    Spasibo,
    Yuri
    edited February 21, 2005
    Cosmic wrote:
    OMG! rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif

I can't believe you captured that expression! How utterly priceless! I could think of so many captions to put under that photo clap.gifthumb.gif

thanks so much cosmic!
    edited February 21, 2005
    MHJS wrote:
    Andy,was you eating when you captured this ?rolleyes1.gif
    Very nice capture.Wish it had the geeen bg through out thumb.gif

john, this was a non-food shoot i assure you deal.giflol3.gif

thanks for stopping by and the comment.
  • fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2005
    what kind of bird is that, andy?
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2005
    fish wrote:
    what kind of bird is that, andy?
    I don't know what kind of bird that it was but knowing Andy its probably medium rare by now. rolleyes1.gif :eat
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2005
    Those red things in the next photo, they are probably peppers in disguise.rolleyes1.gif

g

Harry, I just looked at that bird again, do you think even Andy would tackle something that was looking at him like that.
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2005
    ginger_55 wrote:
    Those red things in the next photo, they are probably peppers in disguise.rolleyes1.gif

g

Harry, I just looked at that bird again, do you think even Andy would tackle something that was looking at him like that.
    Hey Ginger,

Why do you think the bird was looking at him that way? He probably had just tried to put some BBQ sauce on it.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
    edited February 21, 2005
    I think it's a fake bird, superglued to the stick. nod.gif
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2005
    lynnma wrote:
    Blonde moment?? better watch out for Snappy..rolleyes1.gif

You betcha! What about a redhead moment? Or a brunette moment? mwink.gif
    lynnma wrote:
    Andrew? that boyd is wonderful.. had me yelling "oh my god" and dh came running.. thats a kpotd if ever I saw one...clap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

Ditto here! dh came running. And ditto the kpotd too!
    clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

Good going Andy. (Lusting after the long lens here) iloveyou.gif
    "A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
    Susan Appel Photography My Blog
  • lynnesitelynnesite Registered Users Posts: 747 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2005
    andy wrote:

umph.gif he just looked at me this way...

16200330-S.jpg

If you had a stick in the aft area like that your expression might be a little perturbed too. Great shot! Hard to get bird expressions. thumb.gif
  • Trish323Trish323 Registered Users Posts: 908 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2005
    andy wrote:

Great Shots Andy. A bird and a 17 yr. old....your theme must have been shooting " 'tudes" that day! Great captures!
    edited February 21, 2005
    lynnesite wrote:
    If you had a stick in the aft area like that your expression might be a little perturbed too.

:lol

:oogle
    edited February 21, 2005
    gtc
    gtc wrote:
    i really like that shot-it must be spring-birds get a little cranky around nesting time.

i think this is the first bird photo I have seen you post-good to see you branching out yet again

hehe "branching" out - love the subtle humor there! thanks so much for looking, and commenting :D
  • Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited February 22, 2005
    Alllll Reet!!
    We've finally embarassed Andy into taking bird pics :lol4

You can keep shooting them as long as you don't post anything too good rolleyes1.gif You already do so many other types of photos, so well. You have to leave us hacks something that we can feel proud of and call our own......lol So yes, that means no sports shooting either :lol

Seriously, very nice shots. The color on the waxwing shot is awesome. As is his expression (you didn't steal any of his worms by chance, did you?) Although there's not much color in it, I think the 2nd shot is even better thumb.gif

Good work Andy clap.gif

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
    edited February 22, 2005
    At the risk of repeating myself, what kind of bird is this? ear.gif
    edited February 22, 2005
    fish wrote:
    At the risk of repeating myself, what kind of bird is this? ear.gif

its a wxwaxwing umph.gif didn't you read that umph.gif can't you see the absolute similarity umph.gif ?
    edited February 22, 2005
    andy wrote:
    its a wxwaxwing umph.gif didn't you read that umph.gif can't you see the absolute similarity umph.gif ?
    I couldn't find that in either my Audubon or Sibley books. headscratch.gif

But I guess there is a bit of a similarity, with waxy's clown makeup on. rolleyes1.gif
    edited February 22, 2005
    fish, does this help you at all?
    fish wrote:
    I couldn't find that in either my Audubon or Sibley books. headscratch.gif

But I guess there is a bit of a similarity, with waxy's clown makeup on. rolleyes1.gif

i always say, a picture is worth a sherpa's nickel!

16328319-L.jpg