Options

Central/Southern SoCal - another sleepless night!

OffTopicOffTopic Registered Users Posts: 521 Major grins
edited September 10, 2007 in Location, Location, Location!
A Delta II rocket launch is scheduled for September 18th from Vandenberg AFB. Tentative launch time is for an 11:35-11:49 pm window right now.

You don't need to be close to Vandenberg to get good shots. I'm in far south Orange County, and here's a shot I got of a Minotaur rocket with a streak payload in 2005 from my backyard (launches right after sunset get the best colors!). A friend in San Diego said that he had a view this good as well.

192508945-M.jpg

Here are some good links if you haven't tried this before:

Tips for photographing Vandenberg rocket and missile launches here and viewing tips here.

Comments

• Options
    claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited September 10, 2007
    Thanks for the heads-up...I think...aw, who needs sleep anyway?
  • Options
    scottVscottV Registered Users Posts: 354 Major grins
    awesome! I love seeing these trails in the sky but never had my camera handy.. Is there a website somewhere that lists the launch dates?
  • Options
    Hey f00sion, if you go to the site I linked - www.spacearchive.info - you can get on the mailing list for the latest launch information. Launch times for these rockets are very flexible due to so many variables, so it's always subject to change at the last minute. That site also gives a hotline number you can call for the latest info.
  • Options
    scottVscottV Registered Users Posts: 354 Major grins
    awesome, I am on the list.
    In the photo you posted was the launch this late at night?.. I remember always seeing them in the early evening, wondering if the later launches affect the spectacular-ness?
  • Options
    That one was taken shortly after sunset and shows what is called the Twilight Effect. The way I remember it explained, when the sun is just below the horizon and the trail is in just the right position, the ice crystals reflect (refract?) the light to create those gorgeous colors.

We won't be able to capture a twilight effect for this launch, but the site shows some other effects (fireball effect, flame detail, exhaust plume, missile trajectory, etc.) and the best way to photograph each of those. I would think down here our best chances on this launch would be for the fireball effect and missile trajectory, but I honestly don't know what I'm doing and just have fun giving it a try. :D That first link I posted has a wealth of information if you scroll down to the bottom.