Options

Rocky Mountain High aka How I spent my summer vacation

PezpixPezpix Registered Users Posts: 391 Major grins
edited September 12, 2007 in Journeys
For some reason, I kept thinking of Sister Mary Elephant from Cheech and Chong for that title :rofl

Anyway, spent the better part of the summer exploring the Rockies again this year. Last year I spent the better part of my trip searching for my favorite beer - Fat Tire Amber Ale with limited success in the San Juan Mountains. Well, on this trip, I decided to bring my own suds and save myself the hassle. Armed with a bevy of lenses, my trusty camera and plenty of ice in the cooler, it was time to explore...

...However, without a central distinguishable goal for this year's adventure, I chose to make my focal point the beautiful high mountain wildflowers themselves. Colorado had a record year for snow along the front range and I decided that this could be a banner year to capture the color along the Rockies.
My goal... to find the most outrageous colors that Mother Nature offered high in the Colorado Rockies!

My first mission was to capture the late spring bloom along the Front Range foothills themselves at 5500 feet. Onto Boulder, Co we go!

Nestled along the edge of the Flatirons, sitting with a spectacular view of Boulder, Chautauqua Mountain Park offers some of the most dramatic views of pristine landscape preserved as open space along the entire Front Range of Colorado.
Although the flowers themselves were not as prolific as I had hoped for, the grasses and colors led to some serious promise as the season began

155801811-M-1.jpg

The next stop was on top of Vail Pass at 10,000 feet high.
It was a bit early for wildflowers as most were just barely beginning to bud when I arrived.
Fortunately the trip up was not in vain as I managed to get some great alpenglow color on my way back down to Denver as I planned my strategy for my next visit to the pass later in the month.

179020658-M-1.jpg

The next stop on the tour was at my old stomping grounds, at the backbone of Rocky Mountain National Park on top of Trail Ridge Road. The summer tourist season was in full swing, and cars, road construction and tourists were all over the lower valley. What better way to escape the crowds? Take a hike to 12,500 feet high into the alpine tundra!

Up there, the signs of summer were truly around as the buttercup flowers were all over. The fragile life above timberline is never more apparant than here. Flowers have a lifespan of a few weeks and then its back to 10 months of solitary confinment back in the ice-laden tundra. So, making the most of their life, the flowers here put on a very brief but fantastic show.

167807013-L.jpg

Of course, at that altitude, the views themselves are spectacular on their own.

Longs Peak dominates the East side of RMNP
178991632-L.jpg

Solitude
167860477-L-1.jpg

The sunsets above treeline, high in the Rockies can be spectacular!
190199538-L.jpg

After a breathtaking (literally) day above 12,000 feet, it was time to truly test my stamina. What better place to do that then on a 14,000 foot mountain? Onto 14,264 feet altitide at Mount Evans outside of Denver, CO we go!

The famed Mount Evans mountain goats are here, as is the worlds highest paved road which reaches above 14,000 feet.

Speaking of those goats, it seems that July is a fine time to see them! Interestingly enough, the goats apparently are not native to the area. They were introduced sometime between 1948 and 1972. They are quite adjusted to the environment as they have thrived ever since. In fact, most of the time, you dont even need a telephoto lens to view them as they get very close most of the time.

Here's a view of two juviniles having a carefree day above timberline.
169494314-M.jpg

After an exhausting day along Mount Evans, it was time to descend back to an altitude that wouldnt cause me to get sick. So it was back to the "lowlands" of Vail Pass 4000 feet lower.

To be continued!
Professional Ancient Smugmug Shutter Geek
Master Of Sushi Noms
Amateur CSS Dork

Comments

• Options
    edited September 7, 2007
    So apparantly, drinking beer at altitude is not the smartest venture a low-lander can do. In between photo sessions I discovered this as I found myself quite on the inebriated side of things after only a couple of those tasty Fat Tire beers. Needless to say, my morning hike was now in jeopardy if I could not sober up before bed. -Note to self, if ever I wanted to become an alcoholic, move to Vail. :D

The next morning (and several asprin later) it was time to hit the road and go back to the summit of Vail Pass to see how those lovely flower buds had progressed. Much to my dismay, the sunrise was much earlier than I anticipated. Drats! Looks like I would have to make an additional trip the following day to catch sunrise.

So, how to kill some time since my best light had gone for the morning already? Macro shots! Armed with the trusty 180mm lens, it was time to capture some sunflowers.

186959795-M-1.jpg

After having some macro fun, it was time to finally hit the road and explore the pass. When I arrived, I was met with one of the more extrodinary displays of wildflowers I'd seen so far this year.
    188606416-M-1.jpg

Feeling giddy at the prospects of a successful discovery of wildflowers, I made my way onto the high mountain fields and began shooting as much as I could.

188599155-L.jpg

188602807-L.jpg

188600722-L.jpg

Unfortunately, within the next half hour after arriving, the winds began to overtake the wildflower fields. So much for large apertures! And of course, with the wind, brought the storms. Ack!

188592140-L.jpg
    Master Of Sushi Noms
    Amateur CSS Dork
  • Options
    edited September 7, 2007
    So, after an evening of storms, the next morning I made sure I got an earlier start. From there, I made my way back to the pass, and discovered an explosion of colors that I hadnt seen yet. The colors here were even more incredible than before! Indian Paintbrush, Lupine, buttercups et al were everywhere.
    Composing shots proved to be tricky as the area was literally covered all over leaving very little that would make for and ending frame to each photo.

188596406-M-1.jpg

186957526-L.jpg

190096895-L.jpg

190096126-L.jpg

188591077-M-1.jpg

188590383-M-1.jpg

188605137-M-1.jpg

190098190-M-1.jpg

190098928-L.jpg

190103253-L.jpg

190104248-L.jpg

And then came the winds and storms... again
    Master Of Sushi Noms
    Amateur CSS Dork
  • Options
    edited September 7, 2007
    By the end of the morning the blasted storms were on their way back along with the wind. Knowing that I would never get a good photo at ISO 100 at f16, I decided to shoot some long-exposure shots to make up for the increasing winds.

I threw on a 3 stop ND filter on the front of my 70-200 lens and did some zooming with some interesting results.

188593192-M-1.jpg

188595856-M-1.jpg

And some double-exposures
    188597520-M-1.jpg

The last day of the Vail Pass adventure took me to the very top of the pass itself on a hike to Shrine Pass.
    The hike itself isnt very tough for as short as it is, but try telling that to this flatlander!

On the summit, I was once again stunned at what I discovered. It was a veritable explosion of color. One person described it appropriately as "Where Shattered Rainbows Come To Rest". I couldnt possibly describe it better myself.

189877034-M-1.jpg

189877696-M-1.jpg

189880487-L.jpg

189405948-L.jpg

189447030-L.jpg

189878097-L.jpg

189102422-L.jpg

After an incredible day amongst the best wildflower display I had ever seen, how could I possibly top that? Only one way... Onto the San Juans and the legendary wildflowers that I visited the previous year thumb.gif
    Master Of Sushi Noms
    Amateur CSS Dork
  • Options
    edited September 7, 2007
    The trip to the San Juans was going to be a very epic one. Last summer, I had the fortune of going with a group who had access to 4x4 wheel vehicles. This summer, I was on my own and only had access to a passenger car. Uh oh!

While I pondered my lack of good transportation in the rugged San Juans, I took a day to explore my home base back at Rocky Mountain National Park. By this point, dealing with crowds was the last thing I wanted to deal with. Solution? Evening and last light photography again!

167731242-M-1.jpg

178988549-L.jpg

IR storm clouds

179027079-L.jpg

After some photoshop, I really felt the mood in the following two photos were much more in key with what I wanted the shot to be.
    189918103-L.jpg

190101579-L.jpg

Coming soon... Rocky Mountain High - Part Two - Electric Bugaloo
    Master Of Sushi Noms
    Amateur CSS Dork
  • Options
    ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2007
    Wow! What a stunning set! clap.gif You should make your own calendar with these! GREAT job!
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,912 moderator
    edited September 8, 2007
    Thanks for taking me back to one of my favorite states.

Speaking of faves. RMNP is one of the nicest places too. Lots to see and do
    in the park thumb.gif
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2007
    These are really spectacular. You have done very well with your goal. Thanks for sharing.

ann
  • Options
    edited September 10, 2007
    Thanks for the comments guys! I'm still post-processing quite a few shots from the second part of the trip and will try to finish the journey soon.

Ian, like I said last year... tell the friends and family that you are taking a major vacation and we'll get you back to the high altitude paradise :D

189026137-M.jpg
    Master Of Sushi Noms
    Amateur CSS Dork
  • Options
    Tessa HDTessa HD Registered Users Posts: 852 Major grins
    edited September 12, 2007
    breathtaking! i had no idea there are fields of wildflowers like that - incredible! i love the one with the queen anne's lace and the stream in the b/g. thumb.gif
    Love to dream, and dream in color.

www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com
    www.printandportfolio.com
    This summer's wilderness photography project: www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com/gallery/3172341
  • Options
    ArnicaArnica Registered Users Posts: 171 Major grins
    Great set ! I love # 2 the best thumb.gif
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    clap.gifclap.gif

Giant%20Oatmeal%20&%20Raisin%20Cookie.jpgGiant%20Oatmeal%20&%20Raisin%20Cookie.jpg
    Giant%20Oatmeal%20&%20Raisin%20Cookie.jpgGiant%20Oatmeal%20&%20Raisin%20Cookie.jpg
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    eek7.gif

Shattered rainbows, for real! I have never seen wildflowers like that, not even in a garden store.

I don't know what to say. These are gorgeous. Keep posting them. Pleeze! bowdown.gif