Options

Thunderboat Regatta san Diego Mission Bay 2007

rpcrowerpcrowe Registered Users Posts: 733 Major grins
edited September 19, 2007 in Sports
I was at the tryouts of the unlimited hydroplane races at San Diego. Although, the title of the event refers to "Unlimited Hydroplanes" I am not sure if this specific boat was an unlimited hydroplane since there were various types of boats trying out on Friday 9/14/07.

Rooster Tail... I picked my spot on the course where the boats come out of a turn so that the rooster tail would be the background for the image instead of various shore subjects.

Comments

• Options
    leaforteleaforte Registered Users Posts: 1,948 Major grins
    edited September 14, 2007
    The 'rooster tail' in this shot, being a sidelong view, instead of the typical static 'following behind' view make this a cool shot. I love to get to the Seafair races here in Seattle, and try to get to the races on the Columbia River, in the tri-cities every two, or three, years. I've also had the grand pleasure to watch the circuit in Mission Bay once, a few years back. Bill Muncey (62 career wins before his tragic crash 16 years ago) and Chip Hanauer are very respected names here in the Northwest. Thanks for sharing this photo.
    Growing with Dgrin

• Options
    edited September 18, 2007
    Another Thunderboat
    Here is one more...
  • Options
    Typical Thunderboat Shot
    This is a typical shot with the roostertail behind the boat as it crosses the camera position...
  • Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    The Formula boat at the bottom is definitely Unlimited class. The second one is Unlimited Light, compare its proportions to the red Formula boat. The top one looks like it might be Unlimited Light.

They're so cool. What tech geek could resist aerodynamic turbine-powered machines skimming the water at 200MPH?
  • Options
    dbaker1221dbaker1221 Registered Users Posts: 4,482 Major grins
    edited September 19, 2007
    terrific job !!!!clap.gif
    **If I keep shooting, I'm bound to hit something**
    Dave