Options

Fish

KiloKilo Registered Users Posts: 210 Major grins
edited September 14, 2007 in Other Cool Shots
Just wondering if anyone here has photos of home aquariums with either tropical or saltwater fishI enjoy photography, but also this hobby.

Thanks!:D
ʞ1└0

Comments

• Options
    Chrissiebeez_NLChrissiebeez_NL Registered Users Posts: 1,295 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2007
    well this hardly counts as a shot of a aquarium but since noone has posted yet i'll give my 0,02 contribution.

175714610-L-1.jpg

This shot was actually quite difficult because of the distortions the round bowl gave to the fish. I love shooting animals iloveyou.gif

Good luck with combining your two hobby's :D
    Visit my website at christopherroos.smugmug.com
  • Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2007
    Kilo wrote:
    Just wondering if anyone here has photos of home aquariums with either tropical or saltwater fishI enjoy photography, but also this hobby.

Thanks!:D

Hi there Kilo, and welcome to the Dgrin Forum.

So your hobby is Fish and Tanks I see, how bout posting some of your shots :D what sort of fish do you have?

We had a tank when we were kids, and I remember catching a Yabby and putting it in with the Gold Fish, but the Yabby grabbed one and killed it eek7.gif

Didn't take long for us kids to figure out (Crawfish) ... Yabbies and GoldFish dont mix rolleyes1.gif

Enjoy the Forum thumb.gif .......... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    Pixel PopperPixel Popper Registered Users Posts: 280 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2007
    I never realy gave any thought to posting these pictures, but since you asked, here are a few from the home aquarium.

DSC_0051.JPG

These are some Gold Peppered Barbs...
    DSC_0051-1.JPG

Here we have some Clown Loaches...
    DSC_0027.JPG

And finally, Hoover, the gold fish...
    DSC_0135.JPG
  • Options
    edited September 8, 2007
    Skippy wrote:
    Hi there Kilo, and welcome to the Dgrin Forum.

So your hobby is Fish and Tanks I see, how bout posting some of your shots :D what sort of fish do you have?

We had a tank when we were kids, and I remember catching a Yabby and putting it in with the Gold Fish, but the Yabby grabbed one and killed it eek7.gif

Didn't take long for us kids to figure out (Crawfish) ... Yabbies and GoldFish dont mix rolleyes1.gif

Enjoy the Forum thumb.gif .......... Skippy :D

Thank you!

I don't have a good picture of my aquarium yet, but am working on taking the time to get a decent shot. I can already see that none of mine came out near as clear and vivid as the ones you see in here on this thread.

I have 22 tropical fish...

4 Black Neon Tetras
    2 Red-eyed Tetras
    2 Glo-lite Tetras
    2 Long-finned Blue Danios
    4 Madagascar Rainbows
    2 Von Rio Flame Tetras
    3 White Clouds Minnows
    2 Leopard Sailfin or Hi-Fin Spotted Plecos
    1 Striped Peacock Eel
    2 Snails: White Mystery & Black Mystery

Yeah, I wouldn't think crawfish and Goldfish mixlike Jack Demseys and Neon Tetras.rolleyes1.gif
    ʞ1└0
  • Options
    edited September 8, 2007
    Thanks Chris and Pixel—those are really nice pictures and fish. :)

I'll try to get mine in this thread asap.

Thanks!
    ʞ1└0
  • Options
    Pixel PopperPixel Popper Registered Users Posts: 280 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2007
    Kilo wrote:
    Thank you!

I don't have a good picture of my aquarium yet, but am working on taking the time to get a decent shot. I can already see that none of mine came out near as clear and vivid as the ones you see in here on this thread.

I'm certainly no expert at shooting this subject matter, but the one thing I can tell you for sure is that flash is your worst enemy, unless you are shooting from an EXTREME angle, otherwise all you see is the flash reflected right back at you.

I had to experiment quite a lot to get the shots you see here. Ultimately, the thing that worked best for me was an ISO setting of 1600 or higher at f/5.6, and exposures anywhere from 1/10 to 1/60 of a second depending on the lighting level. A shutter speed any slower than those would invariably result in blur because of the fish's movement.

Maybe trying that will help you out. Good luck, and I look forward to seeing your shots!

-Howard a.k.a Pixel Popper
  • Options
    edited September 8, 2007
    Welcome to Celtica
    DSC_0135.jpg

This is my second attempt of my aquarium. It has a Celtic theme to it. The first picture was taken when the tank didn't have
    this much stuff in it. The flash didn't do too bad when it hit the glass. When I try it without a flash, colors are way off and dark.
    The 2 fish you see by the Hornwort plant on the left (one at the top left, and one at the bottom right) are 2 of my Madagascar Rainbows,
    and there's another by the heater, just above the bridge. The orange fish in the center is one of my Von Rios. I know, I don't have a
    backround yet. Haven't had much time to get back there and cut and tape one on the back.

DSC_0134.jpg

This is one of my snails upside down on a not so visible flat rock on the left side of the first picturehe or she is called a Black Mystery.
    Nothing black about this snail. It's from dark brown to caramel. The not so visible flat rock it was under is under the visible flat rock
    you see on the left side of the first picture. Tell me what ya think about these 2 shots. :) I know the top one isn't all that good, and not a
    close up of the fish.

Thanks!
    ʞ1└0
  • Options
    edited September 11, 2007
    Snake Bridge
    Eel.jpg
    Here's a shot of my lake snakea Striped Peacock eel. He (or she) is still young. I saw it hovering over the rock early Sunday
    afternoon, and so I couldn't resist. It always hides, so that was my chance to get a picture. Now it's inside the bridge. If it doesn't
    come out soon, I'll have to probably crack the bridge open to get it out. There's a hole at the top of the bridge where it worked its
    way through. I'll give it until Thursday to get itself out of there.

BabyMystery.jpg
    And here's one of at least six baby Black Mysteries that I found today. These stowaways came along with the short Hornwort
    plant you see on the right of the aquarium. I'll be selling them in my area when they get a bit bigger to those who like snails
    such as myself. :) But I don't care to have more than seven of them and no less than three.
    ʞ1└0
  • Options
    Chrissiebeez_NLChrissiebeez_NL Registered Users Posts: 1,295 Major grins
    edited September 11, 2007
    hey kilo!

fun to see your photos! keep posting them i would love to see your fishie world clap.gif
    Visit my website at christopherroos.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited September 12, 2007
    hey kilo!

fun to see your photos! keep posting them i would love to see your fishie world clap.gif

Thank you! I will every now and then. I'm eventually gonna get a couple of Kribensis and a couple of German Blue Rams. They're colorful and peaceful cichlids. :)
    ʞ1└0
  • Options
    edited September 14, 2007
    Latest Fish Pic
    MadagascarRainbow-1.jpg

This is my latest that I took this late afternoon. As some of you may already know from my other recent thread that I started last
    nightI had problems with my camera. I'm not 100% sure what was wrong, but I'm thinking the powergrip is messed up; but the
    camera seems to work now, now that I've put its factory rechargable battery back in.

Anyway, here's a shot of one of my Madasgascar Rainbows. It's nothing to even get a brownie for, but I'm not good at getting pictures
    of fish who won't stay still, and the water was cloudy, too,`cos I had just finished doing a 25% water change. And yeah, I have a
    back-flash on the glass. Sorry!
    rolleyes1.gif
    ʞ1└0