Options

Question for Andy about custom hostname

Mr.SkullMr.Skull Registered Users Posts: 32 Big grins
edited October 3, 2007 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
A question for Andy. Since your site is the "example" site of Smugmug, I have been checking it out. I noticed that if I go to your site using your "real" Smugmug address of williams.smugmug.com, it will switch to moonriverphotography.com in the address bar! I have a custom hostname for my smugmug site, and it does not do that. Mine stays on the smugmug address if I type that in. I presume you are using some code to force the address bar to switch to your custom name? What is the secret method for this?
Thanks,
Joel

Comments

• Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited September 15, 2007
    I'm not Andy, but I can help you out here :D

Try our Advanced FAQ, #62 thumb.gif
  • Options
    Mr.SkullMr.Skull Registered Users Posts: 32 Big grins
    edited September 16, 2007
    Of course, the Automagic nickname.smugmug to custom domain swapper. Thanks for the tip, it works great!
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited September 16, 2007
    Mr.Skull wrote:
    Of course, the Automagic nickname.smugmug to custom domain swapper. Thanks for the tip, it works great!
    thumb.gif
  • Options
    Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    edited September 18, 2007
    Tip 62..changed domain name..can't get to page
    Andy,

I cut and pasted the following to the JS in my control panel...now I can't get to my web site at SmugMug. It redirects and www.ENHPhotography comes up, but no page....so I'm sure that I forgot something. But the tip wasn't very specific.

I would appreciate your help...

Thanks, Ed

function redirectPath() {
    re = /(ed911.smugmug.com)/;
    tmp = window.location.href;
    if (re.test(tmp)) {
    tmp = tmp.replace(re, 'www.ENHPhotography.com');
    window.location.href = tmp;
    }
    }
    redirectPath();
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed
  • Options
    photobanksphotobanks Registered Users Posts: 182 Major grins
    Ed911 wrote:
    Andy,

I cut and pasted the following to the JS in my control panel...now I can't get to my web site at SmugMug. It redirects and www.ENHPhotography comes up, but no page....so I'm sure that I forgot something. But the tip wasn't very specific.

I would appreciate your help...

Thanks, Ed

re = /(ed911.smugmug.com)/;
    if (re.test(tmp)) {
    tmp = tmp.replace(re, 'www.ENHPhotography.com');
    }
    }
    redirectPath();

Ed,

Try this...

re = /((www.)?ed911.smugmug.com)/;
    if (re.test(tmp)) {
    tmp = tmp.replace(re, 'http://www.ENHPhotography.com');
    }
    }
    redirectPath();

Michael
    Michael Banks

www.banksy.me.uk - main website
    http://galleries.banksy.me.uk - smugmug site
  • Options
    Thanks Michael,

I would love to, but I can't get to my web page to change anything. If I use the old address, it redirects to the new address, which in turn generates an error message...like cannot find page...leaving me with no option to change anything. ne_nau.gif

I will be sure to try your solution as soon as I can get back to my web page so that I can edit the JS. If you know how to do this, get my page to open, I would sure appreciate it.

photobanks wrote:
    Ed,

Try this...

re = /((www.)?ed911.smugmug.com)/;
    if (re.test(tmp)) {
    tmp = tmp.replace(re, 'http://www.ENHPhotography.com');
    }
    }
    redirectPath();

Michael

Ed
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    I removed the code from your site.

You must have your domain CNAMEd to SmugMug first, for this to actually work :)

More, here
    http://www.smugmug.com/help/professional-accounts
  • Options
    Andy wrote:
    I removed the code from your site.

You must have your domain CNAMEd to SmugMug first, for this to actually work :)

More, here
    http://www.smugmug.com/help/professional-accounts

Thanks, Andy. Question...this will end up with my smugmug account having a custom web address, right. (so I need to register a domain name that I want to use for my smugmug website, and then Cname that domain so that it can be redirected to my now custom named smugmug site...have I got that?)

Thanks again,

Ed
  • Options
    edited September 24, 2007
    Using Domain name without WWW...problems
    I have my account at SmugMug setup so I can use my domain name instead of XXX.SmugMug.

Problem: When typing in my domain name, if I use WWW it works fine. But if I just type in my domain name sans the WWW, I find myself redirected to the SmugMug home page and not my SmugMug page.

Have any idea how to fix this?

I have the option to use my domain name w/o using the WWW enabled at my Godaddy account. I would like for this option to work, because a lot of people enter site names without using the WWW.

Thanks,

Ed
  • Options
    RogersDARogersDA Registered Users Posts: 3,502 Major grins
    Ed911 wrote:
    I have my account at SmugMug setup so I can use my domain name instead of XXX.SmugMug.

Problem: When typing in my domain name, if I use WWW it works fine. But if I just type in my domain name sans the WWW, I find myself redirected to the SmugMug home page and not my SmugMug page.

I have the option to use my domain name w/o using the WWW enabled at my Godaddy account. I would like for this option to work, because a lot of people enter site names without using the WWW.

Thanks,

Assuming at godaddy you change the A record for the domain.

How long ago? It can take 1 to 2 days, sometimes, for the changes to propogate around the net.
  • Options
    Ed911 wrote:

Thanks,
    Can you give me your domain name so I can run a test and see if everything is set up correctly? ear.gif
  • Options
    Domain name...A record
    ivar wrote:
    Can you give me your domain name so I can run a test and see if everything is set up correctly? ear.gif

My domain name is www.pumpkinriver.com (currently in use for SmugMug) Just tried it again...and w/o the www, it takes me to the SM homepage.

Thanks for your responses...you help is greatly appreciated. This is all new to me.

Ed
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,012 Major grins
    Ed911 wrote:
    My domain name is www.pumpkinriver.com (currently in use for SmugMug) Just tried it again...and w/o the www, it takes me to the SM homepage.

Thanks for your responses...you help is greatly appreciated. This is all new to me.
    Did you read this on this page?

I don't want my visitors to have to type www...

If you just want your web address to be http://yourdomain.com instead of something like http://www.yourdomain.com, you can use the @ symbol instead of inserting the subdomain when setting it up. (A subdomain is the part the proceeds yourdomain.com — www is a common subdomain.) Registrars use the @ symbol to indicate the lack of a domain (rather than just leaving it blank).

Some registrars don't allow CNAMEs with @ symbols. They force you to use an A record instead. The basic principle is the same, but instead of pointing to www.smugmug.com it points to our IP address.

Gotcha: Our IP address might change in the future, causing an A record to break. For this reason we suggest trying a CNAME record first.
    Our current IP address is 63.81.134.23
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    Setting an A record...
    RogersDA wrote:
    Assuming at Godaddy you change the A record for the domain.

How long ago? It can take 1 to 2 days, sometimes, for the changes to propagate around the net.

I have an A record for the domain. I set it when I Cnamed my domain. (about 24 hours ago. The Cname already propagated...so i thought the A record must have also.)

Isn't that why I can access the domain w/o typing www when I enter the site address? Just wondering...new to this sort of stuff...it is my first time.ne_nau.gif

Thanks,

Ed
  • Options
    Allen wrote:
    Did you read this on this page?
    • Yes...and the instructions were a bit daunting to say the least...for a novice anyway.
    I don't want my visitors to have to type www...

If you just want your web address to be http://yourdomain.com instead of something like http://www.yourdomain.com, you can use the @ symbol instead of inserting the subdomain when setting it up. (A subdomain is the part the proceeds yourdomain.com — www is a common subdomain.) Registrars use the @ symbol to indicate the lack of a domain (rather than just leaving it blank).
    • I did that when I set up my A record. @ and the IP address.
    • You know that might be the problem...pointing to the IP address instead of www.smugmug.com. That could be the reason that I'm seeing the home page...instead of my page...hmmmmm...food for thought, for sure.
    Some registrars don't allow CNAMEs with @ symbols. They force you to use an A record instead. The basic principle is the same, but instead of pointing to www.smugmug.com it points to our IP address.

Gotcha: Our IP address might change in the future, causing an A record to break. For this reason we suggest trying a CNAME record first.
    Our current IP address is 63.81.134.23

Thanks for your help.

Ed
  • Options
    Ed911 wrote:
    I have an A record for the domain. I set it when I Cnamed my domain. (about 24 hours ago. The Cname already propagated...so i thought the A record must have also.)

Isn't that why I can access the domain w/o typing www when I enter the site address? Just wondering...new to this sort of stuff...it is my first time.ne_nau.gif

Thanks,

For whatever reason my A record was very slow to take. My guess is by tomorrow all should be well (asuming that it was set up correctly on godady).
  • Options
    GJMPhotoGJMPhoto Registered Users Posts: 372 Major grins
    Trying this technique with login and logout
    I had a problem when I first joined remaining logged in unless I logged in and out of my .smugmug.com ID. So, from that point on (as recommended), I only logged in from the .smugmug.com address.

Now that I've implemented this auto-routing code, I never see my .smugmug.com address.

What are the reprocussions with using this? Does it throw off the cookies?

- Gary.
  • Options
    edited September 26, 2007
    Ed911 wrote:

Thanks,

Looks like its all working now.
  • Options
    edited September 30, 2007
    It does seem to throw off logon - logout
    GJMPhoto wrote:
    I had a problem when I first joined remaining logged in unless I logged in and out of my .smugmug.com ID. So, from that point on (as recommended), I only logged in from the .smugmug.com address.

Now that I've implemented this auto-routing code, I never see my .smugmug.com address.

What are the reprocussions with using this? Does it throw off the cookies?

- Gary.

TO followup on my own question:
    It DOES in fact seem to throw off the login / logout processing...in particular, I find it hard to log out. Again...it was recommended to me when I first joined to always log in and log out on my .smugmug. URL - which fixed the problem - now I never see my .smugmug. URL and the processing is definitely screwed up.

Any ideas?

- Gary.
  • Options
    scwalterscwalter Registered Users Posts: 417 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2007
    GJMPhoto wrote:
    TO followup on my own question:
    It DOES in fact seem to throw off the login / logout processing...in particular, I find it hard to log out. Again...it was recommended to me when I first joined to always log in and log out on my .smugmug. URL - which fixed the problem - now I never see my .smugmug. URL and the processing is definitely screwed up.

Any ideas?

- Gary.

You don't have to login from your exact smugmug page, you can do it from the homepage as well.

http://www.smugmug.com/

Look near the top for the login button.

-Scott
    Scott Walter Photography
    scwalter.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited October 1, 2007
    scwalter wrote:
    You don't have to login from your exact smugmug page, you can do it from the homepage as well.

http://www.smugmug.com/

Look near the top for the login button.

-Scott
    You can actually log in on any SmugMug page with a login link thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2, 2007
    Ah Ha
    Ah ha...thanks! Will do...
  • Options
    edited October 3, 2007
    Still doesn't work
    GJMPhoto wrote:
    Ah ha...thanks! Will do...

I went to www.smugmug.com - according to that page, I was already logged on (the logout button was available).

I went to my page, I was not logged in.

I logged in on my page...

Went to www.smugmug.com - logged out

Returned to my page - I was still logged in.

This 'fix' doesn't seem to be working.