Options

Anyone use a reflector?

rosselliotrosselliot Registered Users Posts: 702 Major grins
edited September 22, 2007 in Accessories
I'm looking into getting one, I'm having a hard time choosing a good size or color. I've read that it's hard to handle squinting with a pure shiny gold or silver because it actually reflects TOO much light...so what is http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/42096-REG/Photoflex_DL1542ZZ_42_Reflector_Soft.html like? it's a "soft gold" anyone have experience with that?

If anyone would like to go over some etiquette or things to remember when using a reflector, I'd love to hear it!

Thanks in advance!

- Ross
www.rossfrazier.com
www.rossfrazier.com/blog

My Equipment:
Canon EOS 5D w/ battery grip
Backup Canon EOS 30D | Canon 28 f/1.8 | Canon 24 f/1.4L Canon 50mm f/1.4 | Sigma 50mm f/2.8 EX DI Macro | Canon 70-200 F/2.8 L | Canon 580 EX II Flash and Canon 550 EX Flash
Apple MacBook Pro with dual 24" monitors
Domke F-802 bag and a Shootsac by Jessica Claire
Infiniti QX4

Comments

• Options
    wesleytwesleyt Registered Users Posts: 112 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2007
    I've got a 42" Westcott 6-in-1 Kit:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/279427-REG/Westcott_1032_Illuminator_Reflector_Kit_6_in_1.html

and love it. It's great for fill light in outdoor portraits. The versatility is excellent and it folds up neatly so it's quite portable.
  • Options
    wesleytwesleyt Registered Users Posts: 112 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2007
    I use the gold or "sunlight" reflectors when I need a bit more warmth, like in the shade. I use the white when I need more light, and the silver when I need a lot more light.

My subjects indeed do squint at times with the silver or gold reflectors, especially when they're reflecting the sun. I switch to the white reflectors to avoid this.
  • Options
    Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2007
    I have a 12", 24" and a 54" foldable silver/gold reflector.

The 12" is great for flowers/macros and the 24" just right
    for portrait work. The 50" is the way to go for full body
    portraits. The only thing I really miss is a white reflector
    because gold can be too warm and silver too harsh
    at times.

I recommend you to pick the size depending on your
    shooting style and get one that has a gold, silver and
    white surface. The later can also be used as a diffusor
    to make bright sunlight softer - very handy sometimes.

You can get good quality reflectors for almost half the
    price mentioned in your link on ebay btw.
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited August 26, 2007
    rosselliot wrote:
    I'm looking into getting one, I'm having a hard time choosing a good size or color. I've read that it's hard to handle squinting with a pure shiny gold or silver because it actually reflects TOO much light...so what is http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/42096-REG/Photoflex_DL1542ZZ_42_Reflector_Soft.html like? it's a "soft gold" anyone have experience with that?

If anyone would like to go over some etiquette or things to remember when using a reflector, I'd love to hear it!

Thanks in advance!

- Ross

Impact makes a nice one with a stand to hold it as well, Ross. I think I paid about $139 at B&H

White, silver, gold, white silk scrim, and black all for the same 42 inch ring. The Black is a lot of help to create a shadow at times.

Without a stand, you have to have an accomplice who can follow directions. Or hire someone and pay them. A stand sounds better and better doesn't it?
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2007
    Having had no hands on experience with a reflector, I bought an impact
    5-in-1 (I think it's 52 or 62 inch) and later a 22 inch. I have the impact reflector stand similar to this setup:
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/283648-REG/Impact__42_5_in_1_Reflector_with.html

For the few people I've used it with, gold and silver can be too harsh a reflection in mid day sun so I'll use solid white to reflect the sun or I'll use the translucent white for the sun to shine through and it creates a shade. The first day I tried it outside was with my wife. Silver, gold, silver+gold made her squint and also radiated heat. She loved when I used the translucent white to create shade! In this 2 it was 90+ degrees exif says 3 pm, lol:

191748295-M.jpg

191747502-L.jpg

This shot, sun to her right and slightly behind, silver reflector was too bright and would have made her hot so I switched to white. You can see it in her eyes.
    190657144-L.jpg

10 minutes later sun was lower and more red so I switched to the silver reflector because it bounces back more light.

190664538-L.jpg

no reflector:
    190669630-M-1.jpg

with silver reflector
    190670433-M-1.jpg

playing with it some more I eventually got this:

190671477-M-1.jpg
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • Options
    rosselliotrosselliot Registered Users Posts: 702 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2007
    thank you all for such great information!!!!
    www.rossfrazier.com
    www.rossfrazier.com/blog

My Equipment:
    Canon EOS 5D w/ battery grip
    Backup Canon EOS 30D | Canon 28 f/1.8 | Canon 24 f/1.4L Canon 50mm f/1.4 | Sigma 50mm f/2.8 EX DI Macro | Canon 70-200 F/2.8 L | Canon 580 EX II Flash and Canon 550 EX Flash
    Apple MacBook Pro with dual 24" monitors
    Domke F-802 bag and a Shootsac by Jessica Claire
    Infiniti QX4
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited September 4, 2007
    You can shoot flash THROUGH the white translucent screen to create a huge windowlight/softbox also.

The gold or silver reflectors do not have to reflect the sunlight - they can reflect skylight, or if the sun drops behind a handy cloud, also.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2007
    I like the silver/gold surface of my Photoflex 5 in 1 as a main light when shooting outdoors. As for fill, I find all of the shiny surfaces too bright, so for that I use white.
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,913 moderator
    edited September 5, 2007
    You can find them in both oval and round. The ovals are really more
    rectangular.

I bought one of the Photoflex kits. That and a stand with arm to hold it.
    Of course the stand is really only useful inside or with a heavy sand/shot
    bag to hold it outdoors. Actually something to hold down any stand isn't
    such a bad idea.

The gold reflector is nice if you want to warm up the light a bit. Same with
    the white and toning down the sun light.

Good luck with your choice.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    TristanPTristanP Registered Users Posts: 1,107 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2007
    I have several Amvona reflectors. One came with a hefty stand and arm (I think the 42" one). Something like this is what you're looking for. Just wait for the right auction and you're golden.
    panekfamily.smugmug.com (personal)
    tristansphotography.com (motorsports)

Canon 20D | 10-22 | 17-85 IS | 50/1.4 | 70-300 IS | 100/2.8 macro
    Sony F717 | Hoya R72
  • Options
    melissa6631melissa6631 Registered Users Posts: 158 Major grins
    edited September 16, 2007
    TristanP wrote:
    I have several Amvona reflectors. One came with a hefty stand and arm (I think the 42" one). Something like this is what you're looking for. Just wait for the right auction and you're golden.

I have never used a reflector but was told it is a good tool to have for the class I am taking. I just purchased one off of ebay but it doesn't come with a stand. Do I buy a stand or clamps? Also, how do I learn how to use them? Trial and error?

Which is better to use? The brogden clamps? Or an umbrella stand? Man I'm lost! Too much to learn and know!
    Missy Ü
  • Options
    evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    evoryware wrote:

boom stand comes with clamps. What's the class for?
    I'm learning trial and error.
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • Options
    windozewindoze Registered Users Posts: 2,830 Major grins
    I have never used a reflector but was told it is a good tool to have for the class I am taking. I just purchased one off of ebay but it doesn't come with a stand. Do I buy a stand or clamps? Also, how do I learn how to use them? Trial and error?

Which is better to use? The brogden clamps? Or an umbrella stand? Man I'm lost! Too much to learn and know!

whoa..... slow down nelly ( I mean melly! )

here is the exact reflector Bryan will recommend but you will only use it in class for backlit portraits.......
    http://www.adorama.com/LTPR5122.html?searchinfo=5%20in%201%20reflector

troy
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,913 moderator
    edited September 22, 2007

You don't really need a stand. You can have an assistant hold it for you.

If you want a stand, a regular lighting stand and an arm to hold the
    reflector is all you need.

As far as using it, you will need to learn through a little trial and error but
    it's not that tough.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?