Options

What do you do with a long lens while not in use?

jwwjww Registered Users Posts: 449 Major grins
edited September 21, 2007 in Cameras
Greetings everyone,

Up until now, the biggest lens I have used has been my 70 - 200mm 2.8 VR. I recently purchased a Nikon 200-400mm f4 VR (well.. heck yeah I love it!) and I use them on the 2 D2Hs bodies I have.

I mostly shoot auto racing and autoX and normally have an assistant (my girlfriend) nearby that holds one or the other. This past weekend she couldn't make it to an event and so I decided to just lay down one or the other on top or in my lowerpro nature trekker AW II backpack which seemed to work ok.

My question.. what do others do with their longer lens and body while not in use? I have shot races and saw other shooters just lean them here or there still attached to the monopod, but just seems like there might be something else that might work better.

I had thought of possibly getting a lowerpro lens trekker 600 and seeing how that worked, but decided to ask the dgrin community what any of you might use or any suggestions.

Thanks!!

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,852 moderator
    edited September 20, 2007
    When i shot HS foorball I preferred a hard case, moulded plastic, with a formed "boat bottom". That is, a case which could sit flat on the wet ground. I kept the case latched except when I changed lenses, like around the half-time events.

I sometimes carry a fairly deep camera "holster", like this:

http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/I/21PZGAEQE2L._AA160_.jpg

It comes in handy for stuff like a graduation where I need to be as inconspicuous as possible but still have that spare lens handy. The one I have has a velcro flap in addition to zippers, so I just velcro shut when I need quick access, or zipper if I have to run.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    RhuarcRhuarc Registered Users Posts: 1,464 Major grins
    Is that the 75AW you posted Ziggy?
  • Options
    sirsloopsirsloop Registered Users Posts: 866 Major grins
    I use a vanguard hard case on my shoots. I'm usually using my cameras and 70-200's... but if my wife isnt shooting my spare body and 70-200/4L sits in the hard case. I also have a backpack, but thats better for storage while you walk around. The hard case can be set down and popped open at a moments notice.
  • Options
    Rhuarc wrote:
    Is that the 75AW you posted Ziggy?

Not sure. Mine is a no-name and seems a little smaller, but still large enough for the Canon EF 70-200mm, f2.8L (non-IS). I couldn't find the one I have online. (It's pretty old, given to me by a friend.)

Here's mine:
    ziggy53
  • Options
    ziggy53 wrote:
    When i shot HS foorball I preferred a hard case, moulded plastic, with a formed "boat bottom". That is, a case which could sit flat on the wet ground. I kept the case latched except when I changed lenses, like around the half-time events.

I sometimes carry a fairly deep camera "holster", like this:

http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/I/21PZGAEQE2L._AA160_.jpg

It comes in handy for stuff like a graduation where I need to be as inconspicuous as possible but still have that spare lens handy. The one I have has a velcro flap in addition to zippers, so I just velcro shut when I need quick access, or zipper if I have to run.

Hmmm... the 70-200 VR isn't the problem as much as what do do with the 200-400 still attached to the body. However, it sounds like you are using a smaller version of the lens trekker 600, so I may give that a shot.

As sirsloop and you both suggested, I also have a pelican hard case I use, but would need one about 20 inches wide as it won't fit in my current one with the body attached... I think it is like a 1650? ..it is about 18.5 inches wide internal. I had though of getting a larger one, but I am not quite sure yet...

Appreciate the suggestions!!
  • Options
    sigh... you're gonna make me find the vanguard model number now right? rolleyes1.gif

lemmie see....
  • Options
    http://www.amazon.com/VANGUARD-VGC-13-Mid-Size-Photo-Video/dp/B00006JQLJ/ref=sr_1_2/104-8250632-3663107?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&qid=1190314837&sr=8-2

I'm pretty sure thats the one I use. Its got the pull apart foam stuff inside... i have it setup so I can fit two bodies with 70-200/2.8L's attached... and there's enough room for a 35/2, 10-22, hoods, business cards, CF, a charger, and a couple batteries.

This one actually looks pretty nice... I may upgrade!

http://www.amazon.com/Vanguard-TREK-40-All-terrain-Photo-video/dp/B000FL9YNI/ref=sr_1_12/104-8250632-3663107?ie=UTF8&s=photo&qid=1190314871&sr=1-12
  • Options
    sirsloop wrote:
    sigh... you're gonna make me find the vanguard model number now right? rolleyes1.gif

lemmie see....

well... I wasn't going to force you! Heck.. I was almost considering a big pillow, sleeping bag, or some thick padding to lay it down on.. mwink.gif
  • Options
    If its wet out you aren't going to want to be walking around with pillows. It offers absolutely no protection from the sun either. At least with the hard cases the rig is inside a relatively sealed box with a cover protecting it from dust, water, sunlight, crazy dogs looking for a pee pillow, kids looking to play jump on the pillow at the races rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    sirsloop wrote:
    If its wet out you aren't going to want to be walking around with pillows. It offers absolutely no protection from the sun either. At least with the hard cases the rig is inside a relatively sealed box with a cover protecting it from dust, water, sunlight, crazy dogs looking for a pee pillow, kids looking to play jump on the pillow at the races rolleyes1.gif

...true.. it was just a joke. ...and thankfully dogs and small children don't have photo credentials at the races. mwink.gif

appreciate the help!
  • Options
    Last year a car door fell off a super stock car at etown at about the 60' line and almost took out one of the photographers. IDK if it landed on any gear, but a hard case would go a long ways towards protecting your gear from track debris.... car parts, dirt, rocks, rubber. I'm sure every track photographer has been hit by something at some point or another. If not you need to put the 600mm down and get in the trenches rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    sirsloop wrote:
    Last year a car door fell off a super stock car at etown at about the 60' line and almost took out one of the photographers. IDK if it landed on any gear, but a hard case would go a long ways towards protecting your gear from track debris.... car parts, dirt, rocks, rubber. I'm sure every track photographer has been hit by something at some point or another. If not you need to put the 600mm down and get in the trenches rolleyes1.gif

Wow... Well the racing I shoot is mostly road racing and yeah, I have had a few things come my way. Cars, wheel assemblies, and quite a bit of kitty litter (aka large rocks). So far I have escaped permanant damage, but you bring up a good point.. I might have to go ahead and look into another hard case that can fit this rig.
  • Options
    Look also at general purpose equipment cases. Here is one that has a 25" interior dimension:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/427865-REG/SKB_9P251701BE_9P2517_01BE_LS_Case.html

You need to buy the foam seperately. A reasonable source for that (others have used, not me personally):

http://www.efoamstore.com/shopcart2/default.asp?id=13
    ziggy53
  • Options
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Look also at general purpose equipment cases. Here is one that has a 25" interior dimension:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/427865-REG/SKB_9P251701BE_9P2517_01BE_LS_Case.html

You need to buy the foam seperately. A reasonable source for that (others have used, not me personally):

http://www.efoamstore.com/shopcart2/default.asp?id=13

..thanks ziggy!
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    Here's what I do with my long lenses when I'm not using them.
  • Options
    lmfao.... nice....
  • Options
    kdog wrote:

Too much!!! You have to send this to Canon Corporate. rolleyes1.gif

Is that a "stabilized" table, or what?
    ziggy53
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Too much!!! You have to send this to Canon Corporate. rolleyes1.gif

Is that a "stabilized" table, or what?

Thanks. In terms of full disclosure, that's a pretty popular gag image running around in camera forums, and not mine.

Cheers,
    -joel
  • Options
    edited September 21, 2007
    kdog wrote:

rolleyes1.gif

...nice! Glass under glass!

..but how do you take a pic without spilling the wine? mwink.gif

Drink it all first?!!