Options

Perth, Broome and Darwin (Australia)

Chris_SChris_S Registered Users Posts: 48 Big grins
edited September 21, 2007 in Journeys
Hi, I was on a recent trip where I went to Perth, Broome and Darwin. These are some of the photos I took.

Cable Beach is in Broome Western Australia and has amazing warm turquoise waters. It's one of the better beaches I have ever been to. Broome was very laid back and relaxing I totally lost track of time while I was there.

I walked the ~7km from the old lighthouse to the flagged swimming area and I got to see tracks from a big crocodile heading into the sand hills. The beach was also closed for about 1 hour due to a hammer head shark. I guess that's what you get for being in the Kimberleys!

197228119-M.jpg

You can ride a camel on the beach at Sunset. I preferred taking a photo of them than paying $50 for the privilege :)

197968313-M.jpg

The textures in the sand really come out when the sun in low

197234364-M.jpg

197235179-M.jpg

James Price Point is a beach about 30-40km north of Broome. The red cliffs against the blue sky and the yellow sand and turquoise waters were breathtaking. On this day I did a 4wd photography tour with a local professional http://www.reddirtphoto.com.au/ I learn a lot and it's well worth it if you are in the area.
197232487-M.jpg

197233043-M.jpg

197231860-M.jpg

Gantheaume Point Broome is where you find 130 million year old dinosaur footprints. These are the cement casts, the real ones can only be seen on a very low tide.
197236081-M.jpg

The rest are here http://photosbychris.smugmug.com/Australia

Comments

• Options
    edited September 20, 2007
    The highlights for Perth were the Kings Park Botanical Gardens overlooking Perth. Northbridge just outside the CBD is where you find all the pubs, bars, cafes and restaurants. Fremantle had amazing architecture.

Perth Swan river and skyline at sunset
    197108134-M.jpg

197111590-M.jpg
  • Options
    Darwin
    I was surprised how modern Darwin was. There was new construction everywhere. The weather was a touch warmer than Broome. Both places were in the low to mid 30's C with blue skies every day!

This is Mindil Beach in Darwin at Sunset. Coming from the East coast I loved the sunsets over water in this part of the world.
    197248780-M.jpg

Oil Storage Tunnels under Darwin were built during WWII to prevent bombing by the Japanese.
    197251787-M.jpg

Darwin City streets at dusk. Plenty of Cafes and Bars on Mitchell St.
    197245252-S.jpg

197245595-S.jpg

The rest are here http://photosbychris.smugmug.com/Australia
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    Chris_S wrote:
    Oil Storage Tunnels under Darwin were built during WWII to prevent bombing by the Japanese.
    But they still bombed the %$#@ out of the place..60 or 70 times. They even bombed Townsville. Hard to believe they got as far as attacking Sydney. I used to eat my smoko & lunch inside a jap sub that was on display out side my workshop on Garden Island when i was a young seaman. It was the only shade avail.

Great colour there mate...love the camel & the dino footprints thumb.gif . I am still yet to photograph the red of the centre & west but am getting close to making a date & keeping it.
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,912 moderator
    Very nice. Some great shots.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    gus wrote:
    But they still bombed the %$#@ out of the place..60 or 70 times. They even bombed Townsville. Hard to believe they got as far as attacking Sydney. I used to eat my smoko & lunch inside a jap sub that was on display out side my workshop on Garden Island when i was a young seaman. It was the only shade avail.

Great colour there mate...love the camel & the dino footprints thumb.gif . I am still yet to photograph the red of the centre & west but am getting close to making a date & keeping it.

I guess one of the reasons Darwin is so modern as it's been [FONT=&quot]effectively[/FONT] been rebuilt 3 times due to cyclones and WWII. There must be a massive boom happening there at the moment as I saw lots of new building going up.
    An example is this http://www.darwinconvention.com.au/ and the Marina at Cullen Bay.

I particularly really recommend WA. Even for an Australian the distances are huge but it's well worth checking out our own back yard.

Thanks for your comments.
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited September 21, 2007
    Chris_S wrote:
    I particularly really recommend WA. Even for an Australian the distances are huge but it's well worth checking out our own back yard.
    I fully intend to check out the west in my 2 years down here. nod.gif

thanks for giving me yet more travel ideas, and some really great photos to look at!
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]