Tripod Recommendations? (10D+BG-ED3+70-200)

MarcMarc Registered Users Posts: 37 Big grins
edited January 16, 2004 in Accessories
Photogs,

I need your help here. I've got a Canon EOS-10D with the "Big Ed" grip that usually has a 70-200 f/2.8 IS lens mounted on it. Over the Christmas vacation, I tried to use my old, wimpy tripod and the darn thing nearly buckled. Not only can't it support the weight of the camera and lens, but the head doesn't rotate so tripod portrait shots are out of the question. So, here's the question for you: what tripod would you recommend that would support the aforementioned gear, give me the flexibility I'm looking for, doesn't weight a ton, has decent quality, and (last but not least) won't break the bank?

Any thoughts on the matter would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Marc

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2004
    a tripod recommendation
    hey marc - i use a manfrotto/bogen.. it's really sweet. here are the details:

bogen 3001B Pro Legs:
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/... ...A=details&Q=&sku=222612&is=REG
    and

bogen 329 RC4 low-profile pan & tilt head:
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/... ...A=details&Q=&sku=253613&is=REG

one cool thing about this is that when i put my camera on it, it balances on my shoulder - as one might parade with a rifle - so i can walk around nyc with it and i don't even need to keep my hands on it. pretty cool when it's 10 degrees :D

you cannot beat this bad boy as far as strenght and usability. i really love the tilt/pan head. it has a bunch of bubble levels, so getting a level shot is easy. it also works great in studio, the shaft comes out and goes horizontal. it's beefy, but worth it. of course, you can spend double and get the carbon legs deal.gif

oh, here's a pic of it:

1659712-M.jpg
    Marc wrote:
    Photogs,

I need your help here. I've got a Canon EOS-10D with the "Big Ed" grip that usually has a 70-200 f/2.8 IS lens mounted on it. Over the Christmas vacation, I tried to use my old, wimpy tripod and the darn thing nearly buckled. Not only can't it support the weight of the camera and lens, but the head doesn't rotate so tripod portrait shots are out of the question. So, here's the question for you: what tripod would you recommend that would support the aforementioned gear, give me the flexibility I'm looking for, doesn't weight a ton, has decent quality, and (last but not least) won't break the bank?

Any thoughts on the matter would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Marc
  • john gomesjohn gomes Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited January 9, 2004
    Ref. your tripod question and being able to do portraits. Doesn't the 70/200 have a rotation collar on it? Just change your orientation using it rather than trying to move the head
  • fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2004
    I've got the Bogen 3021 w/ 3262QR ballhead. Good mix of stability and portability (but it's not a small tripod). Can't go wrong with Bogen.
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • gypsy77360gypsy77360 Registered Users Posts: 65 Big grins
    edited January 12, 2004
    Bogen
    Bogen 3221W Tripod
    Bogen 3047 Head

Works great w/ heavy stuff
    Head has 2 way levels built in. Holds 80-200 AF-D zoom steady.
  • TugrikTugrik Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited January 14, 2004
    I spent about $420+tx total; caught a good sale:

Bogen 3021 tripod
    Bogen 3265 quick-position ball-head
    Bogen 410 geared head
    Tripod-case (textile)
    Extra quick-release plates for each head

The quick-ball tripod is something I had never seen until I bought it. It's just so dang functional it's insane. A quick grab and you can reposition it; let it go and it stays in any orientation. If you half-grab the lever it will only unlock rotationally, so if your tripod is levelled it will scan the horizon well. For holding your camera at any angle quickly, it's really solid. But if you want precise control over horizontal/vertical angles, you still need an X/Y/Z head.

file0000933.gif

For XYZ, I got the geared head. It's much better than the twist-friction-lock types. It takes a little getting used to but is so much faster/more accurate once you do.

file0001293.gif

I keep the two heads in a smal pelican case and the tripod itself in a textile carrier. Easy to lash to the bike or throw in the car on the way to a shoot.
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2004
    Tug, those knobs are turning gears?
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • TugrikTugrik Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited January 15, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    Tug, those knobs are turning gears?

Yup. The bigger flanges behind the knobs are springloaded releases... turn them 1/3rd turn and the axis spins freely; let go and it locks down into the gear teeth. Then turn the knobs to turn along the gearings at a nicely measured pace. Once you get used to the unlatch/turn/letgo/crank patterning it's one of those things you wondered how you did without.
  • John RJohn R Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited January 16, 2004
    My needs are small . . . .
    I recently purchased a Canon s400 and would like a recommendation on a tripod upon which to use the camera. I have looked around the internet a little, but I do not have enough experience to know (a) what I need, or (b) which tripod might best suit my needs.

I think I would like something under $100, fairly lightweight, easy-to-use, that will be useful for at least a fair amount of outdoor use. Do I need a bubble? Is there a difference between SunPak and Slik (model numbers seem very similar)? If I upgrade from the s400 I anticipate it will be to either a Canon or Nikon SLR, but that will be @ one year down the road.

Thank you for your anticipated courtesies in response.

John R
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2004
    You're right, you can get a tripod that will support that size camera for under $100. I have a Sunpak but don't use it anymore, replaced it. I found that it wouldn't hold the camera where I wanted - I'd tighten the controls and it would "adjust" a little.

You could do worse than browse the selection that B+H Photo has - it's pretty extensive. Then just do a Google search for the tripod name + "review", see what you can find. ne_nau.gif

I ride a motorcycle, so I'm very picky about the tripod I buy - it must fit into a saddle bag or topbox. I pay a lot of attention to folded length. Perhaps there are things that you prize: a level, ball head, quick release plate... that will help narrow the field for you.

Or you could go upmarket and buy a sturdier tripod, in anticipation of your new camera and its additional weight.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2004
    Tripods...it's almost as hard recommending a tripod as it is a camera. Not that tripods are super expensive, but you don't want to waste money on something you don't need or won't use. Either one too lightweight that it won't hold the camera steady or support a larger camera down the road, or one that's way too large and heavy that you never take it with you.

I have to admit, my Bogen is heavy and large. I don't strap it to my motorcycle (or haven't yet, anyway), but I've got a bag for it and can throw it in the back of the Jeep when I drive it.

Slik makes some good tripods, but their cheaper models are kinda flimsy, IMHO.

I currently own two tripods...the Bogen I mentioned a few posts up and a itty bitty teeny tiny Bogen/Manfrotto that I bought to take to Disneyland a few weeks ago:

277899.jpg

This little guy is very portable, but not cheap plastic like most of the minitripods. It will also support 5.5 pounds...which is a big dSLR and lens.

What you need is probably something in between. My recommendation is that you go down to your local camera shop and test drive some. Consider the amount of portability you desire and future equipt. needs down the road. Any tripod is better than non, but some are much better than others. You can get a good tripod w/ head for well under $200.

Good luck!
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson