Options

Skippy and I visit Elk Island

Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
edited September 22, 2007 in Journeys
On Sunday, Maxine and I headed off to Beaverhill Lake, hoping to find lots of migrating birds and then to Elk Island in search of large mammals.

Beaverhill is about 25% of its former size and the pathway runs along a marshy bog rather than a lake. Lots of cattails, not any open water access.

196815278-M.jpg

We followed butterflies and dragonflies and caterpillars, bees and wasps and other flying critters. Skippy used her macro set up and I just followed along hoping for a bird to fly by! or to come to a point where the remnants of the lake were visible.

We had a picnic lunch and headed off to Elk Island. All the while at Beaverhill, skippy was unable to find a cooperative dragonfly. At Elk Island on the other hand:
196815359-M.jpg

Well, so it wasn't cooperating for her, but it does make a pretty brooch.

Our path took us through the woods

196815368-M.jpg

196815390-M.jpg

The second half of the trail had buffalo patties about every 10 feet! Felt a bit like Hansel and Gretel.

I asked skippy to indulge me by going back over the first third of the trail to see if there was better light at the slough
196815497-M.jpg

196815514-M.jpg

On the way out of the park, bison were moving from one side of the road to the other. We parked and watched this couple for a bit

196815539-M.jpg

He let us know he wanted us gone, first by snorting, and then by moving closer to us, head down. Finally, he put on this display sequence:

196815545-M.jpg

Notice that he is urinating.

196815676-M.jpg

196815694-M.jpg

We then looked behind us and realized that the others were in much better light!

196815709-M.jpg

Happy Trails!

ann

Comments

• Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited September 18, 2007
    rolleyes1.gif at that rolling bison! Oh, to be a shameless animal...

It looks absolutely beautiful up by you - the light, the flora/fauna, the changing leaves. Hope you guys continue to get good shots to warm up before Glacier!!
  • Options
    edited September 18, 2007
    Thanks, Schmoo. We are about to finish loading the van. It is very autumnal today (down right cold).

See you next week.

ann & Maxine
    schmooo wrote:
    rolleyes1.gif at that rolling bison! Oh, to be a shameless animal...

It looks absolutely beautiful up by you - the light, the flora/fauna, the changing leaves. Hope you guys continue to get good shots to warm up before Glacier!!
  • Options
    DJTHEMACDJTHEMAC Registered Users Posts: 70 Big grins
    edited September 19, 2007
    LMAO the urinating bison really takes the cake.

Well done on all the shots! thumb.gif
  • Options
    saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    Great series, Ann! I guess that bison told you..lol. The lighting is so beautiful...just love autumn. Really like the lighting in #6. Sounds like you're having fun and look forward to more posts from Glacier.
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    Great trip
    Dragonfly on shirteek7.gif you are brave mwink.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited September 20, 2007
    It looks like you two are having fun.
    The bison around here have been really lazy. I'll get another crack at them tomorrow though.
    See you in a few days.
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.
  • Options
    SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited September 20, 2007
    davev wrote:
    The bison around here have been really lazy.
    When your that big. Who do you need to move fast for?
  • Options
    edited September 22, 2007
    Hey everybody

Thanks for stopping by. We are now just outside of Lake Louise, had two great days in Jasper and a very overcast, and wet day today to get here. So far we've added elk, big horn, deer, moose and mountain goat to the species list, along with fresh snow for skippy.

See you all soon.

ann