>>> LPS#11 Feedback Thread

DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
edited September 26, 2007 in The Dgrin Challenges
Here are the judges critiques/comments which I received via PM. I'm sure Shay will be posting his sometime this week, and I'll do my best to give some of my own comments as well.

From Seymore:
Seymore wrote:
#1 - post#13 - Vandana - "The Daily Show"
(Sharp! And usually the first tool a man uses in a day. Good shot!)

#2 - post#20 - VisualXpressions - Hone
(Good colors and use of long exposure.)

#3 - post#16 - cmurph - The Harvester
(A man @ work, with the machine of his trade. Sepia adds to the look of an aged machine)

#4 - post#5 - Greensquared - The Swheat Life
(Good rendering. Almost looks like a painting could be made of this from this location or from this print. To bad the branch is in front of the wheel on the right.)

#5 - post#2 - Povertybarn - Hail Mary
(Good use of DOF to focus on the padded subject)

#6 - post#66 - thebigsky - All pumped out and nowhere to go...
(Vivid colors and good layout)

#7 - post#22 - Nathang - Both
(I liked the layout and shows both aspects in one shot)

#8 - post#62 - eoren1 - Hold On Tight
(good rule of 3rds)

#9 - post#69 - JillG - Left To Rust
(Soft yet sharp. This may have worked better as as a square crop)

#10 - post#82 - McGyver - Very A-peel-ing
(Almost to narrow DOF, but I'm drawn to the mechincs of it)

DARN... too many entries!!! (o;|- But that's a good thing I guess. :thumb
Erik
moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

Comments

• DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited September 9, 2007
    From digismile...

digismile wrote:
    01: #29 - sherstone - Metal Strategy
    02: #23 - LiquidAir - Pulse
    03: #30 - shatch - Bionic
    04: #16 - cmurph - the Harvester
    05: #20 - Visualexpressions - Hone
    06: #37 - richtersl - Super Shiny Super Sidewinder
    07: #22 - nathang - Both
    08: #48 - davev - Fog Lights
    09 #64 - paullop - Nonstop Havana!
    10: #05 - Greensquared - The Swheat Life

Notes to the above:
    01 - This photo moved me on many levels. First, it makes me think of man's ongoing struggle to create a machine that can beat a man at chess. It really makes me think of the differences between man and machine. You definitely hit a home run on theme, creativity, and technique.

02 - I absolutely love this photo. I could see the face in the blender the first time I saw it. This photo is luck/creativity/technique all rolled into one. It takes both a great imagination and high level of skill to even make this happen.

03 - This is a marvelous collage requiring superb technique and great creativity. Your lighting/shadows are perfect and transitions between elements pretty much flawless. It just didn't grab me as much, but a fantastic job, none the less.

04 - I very much like the candid quality of this photo and the farmer's expression. The sepia coloring gives the image an old timeless quality. The vignetting helps draw the viewer's attention towards him. For me, I think the image could have benefited from a bit more sharpness to your key elements and it would have definitely moved up in my ranking.

05 - Great concept and execution. I had no hesitation in choosing this for the final 10. In the end, my only distraction was the large spark on the bottom left. Simply my subjective opinion that it could have been cropped out.

06 - I think this is a great photo for its attention to detail, great lighting and exposure, and an interesting theme.

07 - the elements in this photo are superb. The texture and colour of the rock, the S-curve of the shoreline, the playful boys and the old bike all create a striking image. It made me laugh and smile the first time I saw it. My only distraction is the slight distortion of the rear wheel. Otherwise, a simply marvelous photo.

08 - I love the lines in this photo! I really love train photos and I think this composition is perfect. I simply wished there was a bit more sharpness to the front of the train. I know, it's hard to do with all that fog!

09 - I like this photo in how it combines the old transportation machine (the boat) with the new one (the plane). The dramatic color of the sky and the offset curve of the boat are very appealing. A very fine job.

10 - a beautiful setting with a great theme. The elegance and curve of the wheel is offset by the vertical lines of the building and trees. I can almost hear the creak of the wheel and the sound of running water. My only wish would be for a bit more dramatic lighting and a bit more overall sharpness. Also, having the wheel in motion would have made this photo outstanding.
    Erik

edited September 9, 2007
    BTW, a very hearty thank you to our volunteer dgrinner judges! nod.gif
    Erik

• RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,893 moderator
    edited September 16, 2007
    DoctorIt wrote:
    I'm sure Shay will be posting his sometime this week, and I'll do my best to give some of my own comments as well.

ear.gif
  • sherstonesherstone Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,356 Major grins
    edited September 18, 2007
    digismile
    01: #29 - sherstone - Metal Strategy

Notes to the above:
    01 - This photo moved me on many levels. First, it makes me think of man's ongoing struggle to create a machine that can beat a man at chess. It really makes me think of the differences between man and machine. You definitely hit a home run on theme, creativity, and technique.

I must have missed this thread - and it seems many others have as well

Just wanted to voice my thanks to all the judges and digismile for choosing my entry as one of your top 10 choices.

thumb.gif

Sean
  • HoofClixHoofClix Registered Users Posts: 1,156 Major grins
    sherstone wrote:
    I must have missed this thread - and it seems many others have as well

Just wanted to voice my thanks to all the judges and digismile for choosing my entry as one of your top 10 choices.

thumb.gif

Sean

Sean, thanks to the LPS11 judges for their part in deciding upon the winners are certainly in order!! Many of those thanks were given in the LPS11 Semifinalists thread. BUT, I don't think anyone has missed this thread at all. I think that many of us have been checking in on it looking for feedback on the round. If I've missed something, please someone let me know. As far as I can tell, the only critical comments from the judges of LPS11 are for the top 10 of Seymore and digismile. I think Shay may also have put some comments in a different thread. I'm sure I'm not the only one wondering, whatever the comments may be.
    Mark
    www.HoofClix.com / Personal Facebook / Facebook Page
    and I do believe its true.. that there are roads left in both of our shoes..
    HoofClix wrote:
    I think that many of us have been checking in on it looking for feedback on the round.

This makes a lot of sense -
    With Shay being so busy I am not at all surprised that he has not had a chance to express his thoughts on this round.

After a week of nail biting, I'm just thankful that we were able to see the results. mwink.gif
    edited September 19, 2007
    sherstone wrote:
    This makes a lot of sense -
    With Shay being so busy I am not at all surprised that he has not had a chance to express his thoughts on this round.

After a week of nail biting, I'm just thankful that we were able to see the results. mwink.gif

It's not just Shay's comments, but no comment at all from any of the 5 judges of LPS11, other than those comments here from two of them, and then only on their top 10!

Please though, I'm not pressing. I know everyone's very busy indeed. Just my teeny self esteem still wondering!!!!
    Mark
    HoofClix wrote:
    Just my teeny self esteem still wondering!!!!
    Keep wondering. nod.gif

See above, LPS11 was a cut and run affair. I think we did marvelously pulling it off as well as we did. I, for one, will not have time to revisit the past and comment on this challenge as a judge. Just don't have the time (still no home internet, extra mod duties thanks to Dgrin shootout "disappearances").
    Erik

Well there ya' have it!

(witty reply deleted, but you can laugh anyway)

Truly, Erik, no problem........Everyone else has better things to do as well.thumb.gif
    Mark
  • Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited September 22, 2007
    Firstly, a big thank you to the Good Doctor for getting LPS11 finished at the last moment and the judges. Thank you very much! I have been basically out of touch for a month, and this contest was one I just couldn't handle on time. My apologies to everyone. And now on to the feedback :D

2 - Povertybarn - Hail Mary
    I love the angle you shot this at. The hint of a ball makes it feel like the viewer is a part of the action and actually there! The vignette helps draw the eye to the face too, a little strong, but it still works. It might be the youthful nature of the subject, but I don't have a strong impression of "man" though everything fits otherwise.

3 - jwear - M&M Poorly
    When good machines go bad, next time on FOX! hehehe. I would suggest cropping off the left and keeping the central action. Especially like the police car in the reflection. The cool color cast is also effective in conveying a mood. Consider cropping to make the story stand out better for the viewer.

4 - f00sion - Mechanical Eyes
    Wonderful abstract! I don't know what it is, but I can imagine the guts of some super robot or something. Excellent! Looks very futuristic.

5 - Greensquared - The Swheat Life
    Wonderful scene. For me there seems to be too much emphasis on the building and the wheel is an accessory. I know the action of the machine happens inside the building, but the "front man" if you will, is the wheel. I don't know how or even if you would have been able to change the angle to get more of the wheel, but that might have helped for the theme development.

6 - fashiznitsngrins - Spiritual Soul
    Magnificent! You could crop in a little more into the top of the feathers too which would help the existing crop look more intentional. Beautiful!

7 - nelsonstuff - Traction Tires
    The crop is very complimentary to the horizontal nature of the subject, well done. And a bit more visibility of the tread above and less of the machinery below might make the treads command more attention.

8 - Harleycowgirl - As One
    What a hood ornament! Very clever composition. Do watch for cutting off peoples feet, or in this case, the bikes tire. Get it all or crop in enough to make it look intentional. The processing looks like this was bad focus originally and processed to hide it. So do be careful about your processing if the focus was good. If it wasn't good, then work on that focus technique :-)

9 - hamster - Time Traveler
    I like this as is, but you also have an opportunity to have an effective 10:4 pano crop too! The best of both worlds. Beautiful time of day and I like the lights on in the distance.

10 - Tentacion - Dumb Bell
    Great expression on the face, the effort can be felt! The background does seem to distract from the action though, it seems like this is taking place so close to that weave that the dumbbell would snag it at some point. Make the background look farther away and maybe even something that might be seen in a gym for it to have more impact and believability for the viewer.

11 - JohnC - 1979 L.b. Edgin
    I like the boat, but maybe the scene is just too small, I find myself wanting to see where this boat is coming from or look above at the hint of dock but I want to see more. I want to see more context to place this boat and the action within a frame of reference I can imagine a story.

12 - hurricanesteve - The Beginning?
    Very cool! The dark nature even hints at "beginning" for me too. Well done.

13 - vandana - "The Daily Show"
    Love the texture! The photo relation to the theme is also almost universally understood too. The foam looks a little over processed, so maybe a bit more of a softer hand there, but the processing on the rest of the face has drawn out the texture very well.

14 - Pat664422 - Thrill Ride
    Fun! Scarry! My toes are tingling! The cropping could use a little fine tuning, but happily it looks like you have room to do so. Play with a crop that accentuates the action, see if you can make those butterflies flutter even stronger in the viewers stomach hehehe. Great shot!

15 - Llywellyn - Soul Possession
    Pure magic! Emotional, ethereal, and hypnotic.

16 - cmurph - The Harvester
    Beautiful! Love the old time feel with the sepia treatment. The face looking back and the subtle vignette draws the viewers attention to that face despite the tangle of pipes and machinery. Being able to see the face in this photo solidifies the "man" theme for me, since it is all about him and his work.

17 - SunsetSailor - Tomorrow
    I like the time of day you shot this. The problem I am having though is that there is so much sunset that it is taking attention away from the shadowed machine, and the machine looks to be in the way of the sunset. Instead of the sunset complimenting the shot, it has stolen the show. To fix that you might consider a tighter vertical crop to downplay the surroundings and highlight the tall vertical nature of the crane.

18 - menebo - Chuck Taylor... You Da Man!
    Cute shoes. I must admit I don't understand the refence made in the title. So if it was important I am afraid I missed it.
    As a side note, in the future, don't repeat the theme's words in your title, choose a unique title that compliments the photo, not just parroting the theme, we already know the theme is "Man or Machine" so including either word in your title adds nothing new to the viewer.

19 - pemmett - Digital Photographer's Nightmare
    I laughed, which is a good thing. With the right audience visual jokes like this can be very effective. But if the photo also included, visually, the textual setup in the title, it might be more universally understood. Maybe a bit of the screen with an image editor visible and maybe some frustrated hands might round it out.

20 - VisualXpressions - Hone
    A machine in action is a beautiful thing, and adding sparks to it is gorgeous!!! Love it!

21 - Tessa HD - Keep Your GM All GM
    Even though both themes are present, the idea of man is the stronger in this photo. The active work being done and the intensity coming through with the hands is great. Hands can be as expressive and telling as a face, and your portrayal here is wonderful.

22 - nathang - Both...
    Beautiful context shot! Here the boys are playing, and you can see where but also how they got there and how they plan to leave. I have a full story there. And for me at least, the emphasis is on "man" and not so much "machine". But the balance between the two is very well done even though I usually don't recommend combining the two themes, you have done so very effectively and beautifully!

23 - LiquidAir - Pulse
    I canna blend any faster cap'n or she's gonna blow! hehehe. The vapor looks great and the red contents suggest something volatile. The blender is off according to the switch, so that kind of spoils it a little. But maybe it finished blending, but then where is the liquid going to be poured?

24 - tobers - Combine harvester
    Very nice, the angle is complimentary to the machine, and obscuring the cab deemphasizes the "man" aspect of the machine.The photo is all about the machine. Very good.

25 - Strikeslip - Pursuit of Happiness
    Look at that kid down in the lower right. That brings it home more than anything else. If I were to suggest anything it would be two things, first crop the left away to bring more emphasis on the action and reaction happening, and second, instead of a hard B&W, maybe a 50%-75% B&W would blend better and still let the fire and guy stand out while making the scene as a whole look less contrived. But maybe the colors in the background are too riotous, so take that last one as a potential ;-)

26 - MrsCue - Point and Shoot
    I like the look, but the "machine" concept is diminished by the person holding it. The look is so stylized that the person stands out more for me than the camera. Same image but loose the camera and give the hand or hands something else to do and you might have something that really screams.

27 - adpace - Revolution
    An image caught between multiple ideas I am afraid, at least for me. The art effect does not seem to compliment the image in any particular way, the crop/composition are kind of like an abstract, but there is too much detail for me to get it, and yet not enough context to make it work as a non abstract. The asymmetrical vignette I feel is effective in drawing attention where you want it, but the mix of synthetic texture and lack of it feels odd.

28 - pyroPrints.com - Old Workhorse
    Cool photo! One suggestion, 10:4 pano crop just below the top of the windshield and just below the bumper. See if that doesn't add another level of moxie.

29 - sherstone - Metal Strategy
    I would normally award this with the "holy macaroni" award, but I have to add more. A traditionally human pursuit that is in truth being overtaken by computers, chess is the end all test. What you have added here is the motive power of robotics to that. I can feel the computerized intellect plotting against some unseen foe (human or otherwise). You took both themes and merged them masterfully. It could be the cover of Time magazine.

30 - shatch - Bionic
    Also a very masterful blending of the two themes. The machine parts look slightly cartoonish which spoils the "suspension of disbelief" a little, but the concept is wonderful. I love it.

31 - snapapple - Behind the Wheel
    I love the very human expressions and excitement. It could be heightened by having the smashee visible in the frame too (at least a little) so the story is complete.

32 - SaltFork - American Icons
    Love the contrast of the black and orange, as an abstract it looks pretty cool. But as a theme combination it is not so effective for me. The two themes in this photo are not really complimentary. The guy is, I assume, sitting on a motorcycle, and flexing a muscle or is he trying to make it look like the reflection is resting on the orange fender? Maybe it would work better by itself as an idea rather than combined with a shiny truck. I just don't really get it other than what the title hints at...sorry.

33 - Antonio Correia - Pilot
    It took me some time to realize this was not a remote control but a camera. I don't understand the significance of the pilot button, so that is probably what is hurting my understanding of the photo. But I can recommend that if you do a macro that you should dust the subject to remove lint and fibers before shooting.

34 - Elaine - zoom
    Cool action! You can freeze a bit of detail on the rider and bike if you also use a flash with that long shutter speed. But that is assuming you wanted to have some of that. As is I think it works as an action shot. Not a lot of theme development for me, I don't get much of a man, or machine feel one way or another.

35 - Debboggy - Her Trash...His Treasure
    I like the B&W treatment, it feels banished, but well used. The conflict is there visually and the title plays on that very well.

36 - mycaptures - Takin it for a spin
    Another good action shot, the machine seems to be taking most of the attention for me, but maybe that is because the stuff in the background looks like it is related to the ride in the foreground. Probably an illusion. But it keeps me from giving the "man" part of the theme enough attention. I am split.

37 - richtersl - Super Shiny Super Sidewinder
    The chrome and details are interesting, but the horizontal composition is in conflict with the vertical nature of the pistons and so my attention is drawn to the black drive belt.

38 - Agila - Are they?
    I like your setup and the smoke. The lighting is very effective and attractive too.

39 - adrian_k - Industrial
    Intriguing detail shot, but I am left wondering what does this do? What do the gears mesh with if anything? It looks recently operated, so I know it does something, but I couldn't guess as to what.

40 - Robert - Who's winning?
    A good interaction shot with the devices. You could enhance that feel a bit more if you cropped in a bit. Dive in to the hair a bit above the ear and see if that doesn't make the action seem more intense.

41 - The Curious Camel - It's all about the bike...
    Hmm, I am conflicted, if it is all about the bike, why is there a rider on it? With a driver, it is all about the man.

42 - HoofClix - Direct Drive
    This must be a record for the number of effective dual theme entries. I see both themes, but they stand on their own and also together in a complimentary way. The crop is also very complementary to the horizontal chain and frame so it all feels very natural. Very well done.

43 - indiegirl - August Nights
    After having spent August with multiple fans going strong, this hits home for me and left me with a smile :-) The B&W treatment also feels right for the age of the fan.

44 - rsinmadrid - Dude
    I love it. Quirky, cool lighting, great title.

45 - kp-pix - Thirteen
    I am sorry, the photo is not showing for me.

46 - hawkeye978 - Yesteryear Gears
    I like the potential. You might benefit from warming the white balance up a bit. A warmer color cast might give it a bit more nostalgic feeling. But ideally I think a better angle and vantage point would have worked better. It just feels too far away. Closer, maybe even only a portion of the machine and a lower angle that gets the viewer personal with the machine.

47 - Trasmc - Teeth
    This photo looks amazing with the lighting and contrast of those gear teeth. But the framing feels off. A vertical composition would lend itself very well to those gears. The muddy bearing is detracting from the overall feel of the photo for me.

48 - davev - Fog Lights
    Love the fog and atmosphere it provides.

49 - MarkTodd - Machines Watching Man Work
    It does look like they are watching what is going on.
    As a side note, in the future, don't repeat the theme's words in your title, choose a unique title that compliments the photo, not just parroting the theme, we already know the theme is "Man or Machine" so including either word in your title adds nothing new to the viewer.

50 - Gary Glass - The Measure of a Man
    Love it. If I were to suggest anything though it would be to play off the title and turn the divisions into some type of rule or angle measurements or something to better match the title.

51 - Felicia - Superwoman
    Super heroes are riding the most outlandish vehicles these days hehehe. A touch of "motion blur", maybe around the feet/legs might help blend the action in the background with the subject in the foreground.

52 - dlscott56 - Like a Rock
    It has a unique look which I like, but I am torn as to what the subject is. The three that vie for my attention are the chevy logo, the tire, and the truck bed. I have tried some different crops and nothing really helps me focus on just one. And the problem is that I see all three.

53 - imax - Who's To Blame?
    Thought provoking. I like the somber low brightness. And the title is very an effective play on the theme.

54 - stirfry - Batteries not required, ...
    You may find a 10:4 pano crop adds to the intimate feel of the photo placing more emphasis on the expression of the man.

55 - quark - Pulley drive
    Not really an abstract and not enough detail to tell what is happening. Everything looks like metal in this B&W treatment so I can't tell what is going on.

56 - drdane - Human Vulnerability
    Well done, the human condition can be hard to view at times, but her eyes and expression help soften the blow of the injuries from sickness or accident. The viewer even feels as if they can reach out and ask a question or offer some encouragement.

57 - photman - Makes My Life Going Everyday
    Try the shot without flash and you might get a more natural looking shot with more character. Try it in color too to help differentiate some of the different parts and materials.

58 - simmo - Stretching the mind
    I like seeing a part of the book, that helps with context, a vertical composition would compliment the vertical nature of the torso too, so consider that if you crop this photo. The right side could be cropped out to draw more attention to the reading action.

59 - Nikolai - Lord Of War
    And what a machine that is! I like your use of lighting to draw out the surface details. It also adds a bit of a menacing look to the machine too. Well done.

60 - davalistudios - Man vs Gravity
    Cool beans. Consider cropping out the ground to leave the viewer guessing who is winning or going to win ;-) I know I usually talk about context, and the ground included definitely adds that, but the title makes it sound as if there is a fair fight going on, and that close to the ground we all know who is going to win hehehe.

61 - fmkjr - Winning isn't everything...
    Great action shot and panning. And if ever there was a screaming need for the 10:4 pano crop, this one is it. With a pano crop this photo screams action and speed.

62 - eoren1 - Hold On Tight
    The third escalator on the left is throwing off the balance for me. A vertical crop that got rid of the dark tread of it looks much more interesting to me. Cool photo, has a graphic arts feel to it.

63 - Ann McRae - When the Day is Done
    Dozing dozers. Nice photo and mood, very tranquil especially with the mellow sunset color.

64 - paullop - Non-stop Havana!
    Crisp and clean! A tad dark, but very nice.

65 - annnna8888 - Powered by the Wind
    I like the action. The tip of the board is cropped off in much the same way as feet might be. The top of the sail doesn't bother me, but the board does. A suggestion would be to make it a vertical crop and cut into the board more to make it look intentional. A vertical crop would work real nice with the vertical nature of the sail too.

66 - thebigsky - All pumped out and nowhere to go...
    Zippy, textured, and interesting. My only concern is the subject does not stand out and competes strongly with the building and the fence.

67 - BistiArt - Windrower
    What a great old machine, the colors and textures are great. The shooting angle feels too detached and removed though for me. A closer lower angle might breath some new life into this machine visually. As is, it looks like a head height shot and nothing is unexpected or novel. If it were an entry for a museums historical record of course this would let the viewer see what the machine looked like, but artistically, it looks a bit mundane. The field and sky have a lot of potential, so if you had an opportunity to shoot this again, you might be able to come away with something very interesting.

68 - Claudia Tammen - Visual Energy
    The engine is an important part of any motorcycle, but here there appears to be a lot of interesting detail in the machine as a whole. The paint job that is hinted at is drawing my eye away from the engine and I want to see a hero shot of the bike itself..

69 - JillG - Left To Rust
    I like the colors and textures here. It works as an abstract for me. The processing or shooting angle makes it look oddly out of focus in places (the gears) which is hard to view for me, but the parts that are in focus look very nice. I just find myself looking at the gears and the go out of focus.

continued in next post
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
    70 - Travis - Focused
    I like it, try going tighter still in that pano crop, it will focus more attention on the rider. Cut into the guy with the red hat, he does have good interaction with the rider, but overall the extra space devoted to that isn't worth it in my view.

71 - JFreeman - Give Me A Lever Long Enough
    Super simple and super awesome. The very definition of machine ;-)

72 - docphoto - third-class lever and a dimpled ball
    A more vertical shot from even lower showing the club in its length would work with the title better, but as is, the feet steal the show for me and the title doesn't work in my mind.

73 - Flyinggina - Adam's Rib
    I like the one eye peaking under the hair, it is almost devious hehehe. Maybe if the clothing were a bit more rustic it would tell the story a bit better, and a bite out the apple. But that might be a bit too cliche, so maybe this is more of the reimagined story like battlestar galactica. It could be an interesting concept.

74 - mwgrice - Crane
    I'm afraid I don't understand the photo. The lensbaby, high density B&W, low brightness, and lack of details all add up to an image without a lot of visual interest or at least detail. The crane isn't even lifting anything. I searched and searched, but I am coming up empty. Sorry.

75 - yukio - Balancing Act
    Is this at the top of a highrise or near the ground? If highrise, getting a bit more of the height in the photo would help add a sense of wonder. If low to the ground, showing it in relation to the crane might help put the action in perspective. The crane feels a little detached from everything, though I do like that it is actually lifting something.

76 - Dusty Sensiba - Jump!
    Great action feel. And with the man blurred out the ATV takes the viewers attention as the main subject. A little more leading space in front of the ATV and less space behind it would visually give it somewhere to go and make more exciting use of the available space.

77 - Swartzy - AMUSING AUTOMATONS
    Silhouette shots work well with simple subjects. A scene that is as complicated as this however needs a bit more detail to help differentiate the elements. More shadow detail or a simpler composition might help this photo a lot.

78 - traunerk - Machine of the Millenium
    Watch your shadow detail, I can clearly see where you cut the screw out and pasted it. If the inside of the frame were pure black, it would look much more natural and potentially blend with the black surrounding the screw.

79 - Emulsified - Man's Best Machine
    Man's Best Machine, the light bulb? The subject looks to be the headlamp, showing more of the car for context would help drive the thought home that the whole car is the subject of the photo if the title is anything to go by. The selective coloring is also confusing as you might be trying to highlight the paint job only.

80 - Green2 - A Stitch In Time
    What a machine! Nicely lit too, Beautiful!

81 - Bendr - A Grand Invention
    My assumption that the invention is the camera? A second assumption is that we are looking at a lunar eclipse. I like the context you added of the trees, but the title does not serve the photo or the viewer well.

82 - McGyver - Very A-peel-ing
    The machine is intriguing, but the shallow DOF is limiting my view and the action of what the machine does is hidden by the angle. It is like I am viewing the machine from the back when I think I want to see it from the front. That, or forget the machine as a whole and let me get a closer look at those ornate gears.
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    Thanks, Shay!
    Mucho obrigado! :D
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
    Thanks for the feedback, Shay. Glad to have you back!
    Emily
    Psalm 62:5-6

edited September 23, 2007
    COOL!!!

Your time is much appreciated Shay!
  • kp-pixkp-pix Registered Users Posts: 191 Major grins
    Oh so sorry! I had fiddled with my galleries in the meanwhile and didn't know this was still prevalent.:cry

But thank you anyway, as I am sure I would have learned from the feedback :cry
  • dlscott56dlscott56 Registered Users Posts: 1,324 Major grins
    Thanks for the feedback Shay. I really appreciate it!
  • LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    Thank you for taking the time to go back and give feedback. Much appreciated! iloveyou.gif
  • TentacionTentacion Registered Users Posts: 940 Major grins
    shay wrote:
    10 - Tentacion - Dumb Bell
    Great expression on the face, the effort can be felt! The background does seem to distract from the action though, it seems like this is taking place so close to that weave that the dumbbell would snag it at some point. Make the background look farther away and maybe even something that might be seen in a gym for it to have more impact and believability for the viewer.

Thanks Shay...I was using my creativity...I thought the wall that was there before just looked TOO blah...
    You're only as good as your next photo....
    One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote
  • Green2Green2 Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    Thanks Shay!
    80 - Green2 - A Stitch In Time
    What a machine! Nicely lit too, Beautiful!

Thank you for the feedback Shay!

I am still trying to figure out where you get the time to handle the challenges along with everything else you are involved in.

You do make a difference and inspire us all. I don't think LPS would be nearly as active with so many great photographs without you being a part of it. thumb.gif
    Todd
    Welcome back from your hiatus, Shay! Thanks also for the comments on all of our photos.. It showed how really competitive a round this one was!
    Mark
  • FeliciaFelicia Registered Users Posts: 385 Major grins
    edited September 25, 2007
    Thanks for the critique, Shay! Boy, you sure do like the 10:4 pano crop, don't you? :D
    "Just because no one understands you doesn't mean you're an artist."

www.feliciabphotography.com
  • nathangnathang Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    Thanks for selecting my simple work on the theme and appreciate all of your feedbacks..
    Thanks again
    -Nathan
    Felicia wrote:
    Thanks for the critique, Shay! Boy, you sure do like the 10:4 pano crop, don't you? :D

I do, but the majority of photos are best served with a portrait or landscape 4:6 crop. There are however instances where the subject matter just really compliments a pano crop, and it is such an underused aspect ratio that I like to suggested it where it makes since to do so.

Half the battle is just knowing that it exists. Over time, I hope the idea will become less foreign and more readily used as an effective presentation tool where appropriate.
  • Gary GlassGary Glass Registered Users Posts: 744 Major grins
    I don't think too much about aspect ratios when I'm cropping. I just crop to fit the subject. Is that bad?
    Gary Glass wrote:
    I don't think too much about aspect ratios when I'm cropping. I just crop to fit the subject. Is that bad?

No not at all, especially if you intend to do custom framing. If you want to use standard frames, then your 4x6, 8x10, 10x4 aspect ratios will let you crop without worry that you will need a custom frame or matting.

And a mental refinement, if I might suggest it, is to think about cropping to "compliment" the subject, not just "fit" it. It is a subtle change but one that may yield improved results.
  • pemmettpemmett Registered Users Posts: 507 Major grins
    edited September 26, 2007
    19 - pemmett - Digital Photographer's Nightmare
    I laughed, which is a good thing. With the right audience visual jokes like this can be very effective. But if the photo also included, visually, the textual setup in the title, it might be more universally understood. Maybe a bit of the screen with an image editor visible and maybe some frustrated hands might round it out.

Thanks Shay. It's great to get feedback like this, which is the main reason I joined. Cheers.
    "Take a moment to capture a memory that will last forever"
    My images | My blog | My free course