Options

places to shoot in Germany

BriggieBriggie Registered Users Posts: 303 Major grins
edited September 24, 2007 in Location, Location, Location!
Heading off to Germany tomorrow for about 10 days. No firm plans, but will be in the Frankfort area for a few days, then Gutersloh for the rest of the trip. Any ideas on photogenic side trips we should take in that area??

Danke!
Brige
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away..."

My Smug Gallery

Comments

• Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited September 20, 2007
    I loved Germany. Didn't have nearly enough time and didn't go up north where you will be, but Köln was the one place we had to trim from our trip due to lack of time. I very much wanted to get vistas with the döm, but had to make do with the ones that Andy shared on here around that time. :D

I'm guessing you'll spend some time in Hanover, as it's the other big city there. I was in Kassel briefly to get to my family's hometown (Spangenberg - tiny, but with a castle) and it was a quaint, beautiful little place. IMO most of the smaller towns are, and are worth seeing even if they're just along the way from Point A to B.
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    Briggie wrote:
    Heading off to Germany tomorrow for about 10 days. No firm plans, but will be in the Frankfort area for a few days, then Gutersloh for the rest of the trip. Any ideas on photogenic side trips we should take in that area??

Danke!
    Brige

I don't know Gutersloh but I've been to Frankfort, Dusseldorf, Baden-Baden, and Stutgart and each, as I imagine all of Germany, is full of wonderfully photogenic surroundings.
  • Options
    leaforteleaforte Registered Users Posts: 1,948 Major grins
    Guten Tag! I recently spent about five years just south of Frankfurt, in Birkenfeld, and it seems that every one who came to visit me got the most fun going to Trier, I believe the oldest burg in Germany. You will fnd plenty of Roman influences there...that's how old it is. Also the Mosel River valley is prime during the fall, as is the Rhine river area. Just go and get lost, and you'll find new things in every little village. Every village has a Guesthouse (bar) and a Church, and in most, that's it. The fresh bread in the bakeries that dot the corners of all the larger towns are to die for. Mmmmm, I'm drooling just thinking about it now. Have fun!
    Growing with Dgrin

• Options
    jsmileyjsmiley Registered Users Posts: 222 Major grins
    Germany
    Briggie wrote:

Danke!
    Brige

Hi
    I have to echo Leaforte. I was there in 1977 through 80 and I would love to go back.
    Just keep your camera ready there will be a new opportunity around every corner.
    Have a wonderful trip.

John
  • Options
    Bob HughesBob Hughes Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
    Briggie wrote:
    Heading off to Germany tomorrow for about 10 days. No firm plans, but will be in the Frankfort area for a few days,

Danke!
    Brige

I don't know about the other place but in Frankfurt, the tower blocks of the financial centre are reasonably photogenic. There are some nice bridges over the river going through the middle of Frankfurt. And if the weather is nice get outside Frankfurt and there are some nice shots to be had of financial centre sky-scrapers poking out from a dip in the farmland that surrounds the city.

Enjoy it, I like Frankfurt.
  • Options
    BriggieBriggie Registered Users Posts: 303 Major grins
    edited September 21, 2007
    Excellent suggestions folks!! hopefully i'll be bringing back some good stuff to post!

Gutersloh is kinda between Munster and Paderborn. We've got a cousin who is stationed there with the Brits. Always fun to have a free place to stay!! clap.gif

Brige

btw...thanks mods for moving me to the right forum! I'm so focused on the "Shots" area of dgrin, i didn't even see this forum further down!!
    "Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away..."

My Smug Gallery
  • Options
    BigAlBigAl Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited September 24, 2007
    As mentioned, Trier and the Mosel Valley are worth a visit - I could have spent a whole week in the cathedral in Trier. A bit too far south for you, but the area around Sulz am Neckar is steeped in history. Time scales vary from Roman ruins to a recreation of the first nuclear reactor