Options

Canon Extender Compat with EFS Lens?

MarkToddMarkTodd Registered Users Posts: 143 Major grins
edited September 26, 2007 in Cameras
Does anyone know if the Canon extenders are compatible with EFS lens? I picked up a Kenko extender last night because I was told it would be. It most definitely is not. So I'm wondering if Canon's is. Thanks for your help!

Comments

• Options
    LovesongLovesong Registered Users Posts: 56 Big grins
    edited September 25, 2007
    Quote: " with fixed focal length lenses 135mm and longer (except the 135mm f/2.8 Softfocus lens), and the EF 70-200 f/2.8L, 70-200 f/2.8L IS, 70-200 f/4.0L, 70-200 f/4.0L IS USM, and 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L IS zoom lenses."

From here:
    http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelInfoAct&fcategoryid=154&modelid=7462
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,852 moderator
    MarkTodd wrote:
    Does anyone know if the Canon extenders are compatible with EFS lens? I picked up a Kenko extender last night because I was told it would be. It most definitely is not. So I'm wondering if Canon's is. Thanks for your help!

As a rule, the Canon Tele-Converters have "less" compatibilty than third party converters, because of an extended front element.

I am not aware of any EF-S lenses that are compatible with any tele-converters.

You can check for the Canon 1.4x compatibility here:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/FrameWork/charts/canon1_4xExtender.html

As a curiosity, which EF-S lens are you considering?
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    ziggy53 wrote:
    As a rule, the Canon Tele-Converters have "less" compatibilty than third party converters, because of an extended front element.

I am not aware of any EF-S lenses that are compatible with any tele-converters.

You can check for the Canon 1.4x compatibility here:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/FrameWork/charts/canon1_4xExtender.html

As a curiosity, which EF-S lens are you considering?

Thanks for the link. Doesn't look like EFS is compatible with the extenders.

I currently have the EFS 17-85 f/4-5.6 which isn't terribly fast and would be even less so with the the extender. But I was thinking about getting the faster EFS 17-55 f/2.8. But given the extenders aren't compatible I'll need to rethink that. Which brings up a whole new question...

What is the advantage of an EFS lens? The disadvantage seems to be they are only compatible with the XT/XTi bodies. My XTi is my first SLR. I don't want to limit myself should I ever wish to move up to a higher level camera. Lenses are just too expensive to invest in something that won't be compatible!
  • Options
    Eric&SusanEric&Susan Registered Users Posts: 1,280 Major grins
    MarkTodd wrote:
    Thanks for the link. Doesn't look like EFS is compatible with the extenders.

I currently have the EFS 17-85 f/4-5.6 which isn't terribly fast and would be even less so with the the extender. But I was thinking about getting the faster EFS 17-55 f/2.8. But given the extenders aren't compatible I'll need to rethink that. Which brings up a whole new question...

What is the advantage of an EFS lens? The disadvantage seems to be they are only compatible with the XT/XTi bodies. My XTi is my first SLR. I don't want to limit myself should I ever wish to move up to a higher level camera. Lenses are just too expensive to invest in something that won't be compatible!

You can't use the extender on those small focal lengths. I belive it starts around 100mm for the shortest focal length.

If you read the first page of this thread:
    http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=41922
    It should tell you all you want to know about extenders.

Eric
    "My dad taught me everything I know, unfortunately he didn't teach me everything he knows" Dale Earnhardt Jr

It's better to be hated for who you are than to be loved for who you're not.

http://photosbyeric.smugmug.com
  • Options
    MarkTodd wrote:

Tele-converters are generally used at 100mm and onward. Standard/normal and wide-angle lenses are not good candidates because of the way the light bends as it exits the final element of the lens. Tele-converters are designed to work with lenses long enough that the light bends at a relatively mild angle with respect to the central axis. You might get the center sharp using a shorter focal length lens, but the image edges would go bad very quickly.

EF-S lenses, and other so called "digital" lenses by other manufacturers, have a smaller image area to match the smaller imager in "crop" cameras. This usually makes the lens smaller and lighter, and it may be (usually not) less costly than full-frame lenses.

I don't recommend buying lenses based on what you "might do". I do recommend buying lenses based on your needs. If you need a particular lens to fill a particular need, there is nothing wrong with EF-S and similar offerings.

If you should decide to move into a full-frame body, your crop camera might still find use as a backup camera or, if you sell everything, there is a very active market for used equipment and you wouldn't loose all that much, plus you will have had the use of the equipment in the mean time.
    ziggy53
  • Options
    Eric&SusanEric&Susan Registered Users Posts: 1,280 Major grins
    Also EFS works on 20d 30d and 40d also.

Eric
    "My dad taught me everything I know, unfortunately he didn't teach me everything he knows" Dale Earnhardt Jr

It's better to be hated for who you are than to be loved for who you're not.

http://photosbyeric.smugmug.com
  • Options
    Wow, so much good information. I have too many questions! The whole reason I was looking at an extender is I went into the camera store asking about close-up filters to do some low-cost "macro" stuff. The employee there recommended using the extender instead. Was this bogus advice?? headscratch.gif
  • Options
    MarkTodd wrote:
    Wow, so much good information. I have too many questions! The whole reason I was looking at an extender is I went into the camera store asking about close-up filters to do some low-cost "macro" stuff. The employee there recommended using the extender instead. Was this bogus advice?? headscratch.gif

That question has a couple of different answers. In your case, with the lens that you have, it was not good advice.

A tele-extender/converter does effectively magnify the image, at the expense of reducing the available light transmitted to the image plane.

A close-focus lens (diopter that attaches "like" a filter) is a pretty good option for many longer lenses, especially primes. For the lenses you discussed, I'm not thinking they are really ever going to yield spectacular results.

For macro and close-focus, read this information:

http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=50752
    ziggy53
  • Options
    gtcgtc Registered Users Posts: 916 Major grins
    MarkTodd wrote:

possibly mixed up terminology-for macro you would use extension tubes to enable closer focussing-these are different to teleconverters/extenders in that they don't have any glass,just air and contacts between lens and body to preserve metering.
    Latitude: 37° 52'South
    Longitude: 145° 08'East

Canon 20d,EFS-60mm Macro,Canon 85mm/1.8. Pentax Spotmatic SP,Pentax Super Takumars 50/1.4 &135/3.5,Pentax Super-Multi-Coated Takumars 200/4 ,300/4,400/5.6,Sigma 600/8.
  • Options
    edited September 26, 2007
    gtc wrote:
    possibly mixed up terminology-for macro you would use extension tubes to enable closer focussing-these are different to teleconverters/extenders in that they don't have any glass,just air and contacts between lens and body to preserve metering.

Aha! You've got it! I googled "extension tube marcro" and came up with:

http://www.shutterfreaks.com/Tips/ExtensionTube.htm

Thank you very much! A trip to the camera store to exchange that extender is in my future!
  • Options
    claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited September 26, 2007
    gtc wrote:

That was my thought. Extension tubes should be compatible with any lens since they are simply hollow tubes with no optics. So just remember, it's Extension tubes for hollow macro use, and teleconverters for extending the lenses' reach.