Options

first wedding (8 images)

ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
edited September 25, 2007 in Weddings
I got to be a second photographer at a wedding on Saturday...something I never really thought I would do! I took over 1200 pics in about 8 hours, and I have a whole new respect for you wedding photogs out there! :bow I've just begun to sort and edit, but here are a few...(C&C appreciated!)

There are more wedding pics here, but I've just begun!
http://e-heasley.smugmug.com/gallery/3490464/2/196994052#P-1-15

1 - The dress was hanging on a dress form here...
196987589-L-1.jpg

196986047-L-1.jpg

3 - Have you ever seen such a pretty bridal party???
196986802-L.jpg

196989221-L-1.jpg

196989718-L.jpg

196992691-L.jpg

196997331-L.jpg

196994052-L.jpg
Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography

Comments

• Options
    jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited September 17, 2007
    Very very nice. We knew you could do it!!!!

I like ALL of them, but since I am bent towards BW I really like the last one.
  • Options
    SenecaSeneca Registered Users Posts: 1,661 Major grins
    Ok I must admit that first one is kinda...well...weird looking...or for a lack of a better word errie looking.

But the rest are outstanding.wings.gif
  • Options
    Cuties02qCuties02q Registered Users Posts: 643 Major grins
    Wow Elaine you did a great job...these photos are beautiful clap.gif
    Part time photographer...Full time mommy :D

My equiment: Nikon D50, Nikon D300, SB-600, 30mm 1.4, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 70-200mm 2.8

WEBSITE
    BLOG
  • Options
    IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    I like it!
    Seneca wrote:
    Ok I must admit that first one is kinda...well...weird looking...or for a lack of a better word errie looking.

I'll bet the bride buys the dress photo. It's a stunner. Lit like a portrait. Very nice - all of them.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • Options
    dunnerdunner Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
    Great
    Great photos ... and a gutsy move into new territory. How did you get in as a 2nd photog? Do you know the B&G? The hired photog? These would be very nice even if it weren't your first time.
    Kevin
    Peterborough, Ontario

www.kevindunn.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited September 18, 2007
    dunner wrote:
    Great photos ... and a gutsy move into new territory. How did you get in as a 2nd photog? Do you know the B&G? The hired photog? These would be very nice even if it weren't your first time.

Thank you SOOO much everyone! I really appreciate the kind words...they're very encouraging to me!

I did not know the bride or groom, but the hired photog was actually our 16 year old babysitter whose older sister worked with the bride! When I heard that she'd been talked into shooting this wedding, I actually volunteered to go along and she eagerly accepted my offer. It was a very low pressure situation for me, so it was a great way to try shooting a wedding. Their arrangement includes getting the edited pictures on CD, so I will put mine on a CD too, and it will be considered "gravy." I'm not expecting any sort of payment...I just got some great experience!
    Elaine

• Options
    evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    You did a fine job and I although I'm not a chocolate lover, I really want a piece of that cake!!! You should try and sell that pic to whoever made the cake.
    If I were to pick a fav it would be #6. iloveyou.gifiloveyou.gifiloveyou.gif
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • Options
    kygardenkygarden Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
    Great job - you could have been the main photog. It's hard work, but I hear it pays well (weddings) if you're willing and able. Seems like you're able!
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    Elaine - These are GOOD! As has already been said, "We knew you could do it!" It's obvious you have the talent - you could have been the main photog and the clients would have been thrilled. And, you're right - it's a lot of work. To do it consistantly, you really have to love the work as it takes it's toll. Imagine doing two in a weekend, by yourself! I've done that once and will be doing it again this weekend.

Some specific comments:

1 - The dress: If you had included a little more room at the top, this could have been captioned, "The Invisible Bride". It's an interesting shot and I would be interested in knowing how you accomplished this.

2 - I really like this. The DOF is perfect.

3 - Aahh, yeah - I have. But, the are always beautiful!

4 - At this resolution, this looks very sharp. Well done. These are more difficult than they look.

8 - Love the B&W shot here.
  • Options
    Wow...thanks evoryware...glad you liked the cake shot! :D I've never seen a wedding where that sort of cake was the main wedding cake for the B&G to cut. The guests were served chocolate sheet cakes. I'm sure that cut down on cake expenses quite a bit, yet it still looked lovely! I've done a bit of cake decorating in my time (only 3 weddings), and I always felt like you couldn't get paid enough for that work! Now, I think I feel the same about photography! eek7.gif Well, not really. The nice thing about photography is that the pictures remain...a cake gets eaten!

I like #6 too...I had my 90mm on and this was how it was cropped in camera. Not sure I would have cropped this close otherwise, but I'm glad this one turned out this way!

kygarden...thank you for the very nice compliment!!!

Scott...I so appreciate your kind and specific comments! The dress shot was taken when the dress was "sitting" on a dress form. The way the dress was laced up, it didn't slide all the way down on the form (or it may have slid right off anyway), so it was just "standing" there! The light was window light. A shot of the dress was the first one I started working on when we arrived, and I took a gajillion shots that just did not work. It wasn't until we got it off the hanger and on the dress form that this shot showed up!
    I must admit that shooting the formals (various group shots of all the different combinations of family and wedding party) was my least favorite part, for sure. The getting ready part and the detail shots (rings, cake, etc...) and the reception was the most fun!
    I can NOT imagine doing two weddings in one weekend by yourself! The amount of work after the wedding is deterrent alone! eek7.gif All the best to you this weekend!!!

Goodness, sorry this got so long, folks!
    Elaine

• Options
    Deadeye008Deadeye008 Registered Users Posts: 168 Major grins
    Excellent work. I like 4 and 8 the most. Well done.
  • Options
    urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    Congrats Elaine!!! What fun for you, to join the ranks of the sore :D

I love your details shots, your use of light, and the super sharp quality of your photographs in this series. I can tell you took your time and made the most of each shot!

Lovely shot of the bride with bridesmaids. The light is perfect! Did you flash this one (or did the other photog have lights setup?) Their brown dresses are beautiful. I like the ones on the right side (they're different, right?)

Also major kudos to the cake shots. I typically have about 10 seconds to get good cake shots (run in before they announce the couple!!!) so I rarely get such beautiful light and detail. Bravo!

Also love #6, again your subjects are so well lit, sharp, and the expressions here are so wonderful. Gorgeous ladies!

You did such a fantastic job Elaine, I am SOOOOO impressed and excited for you! Now, go put your feet up! rolleyes1.gif
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • Options
    urbanaries wrote:
    Congrats Elaine!!! What fun for you, to join the ranks of the sore :D

I love your details shots, your use of light, and the super sharp quality of your photographs in this series. I can tell you took your time and made the most of each shot!

Lovely shot of the bride with bridesmaids. The light is perfect! Did you flash this one (or did the other photog have lights setup?) Their brown dresses are beautiful. I like the ones on the right side (they're different, right?)

Also major kudos to the cake shots. I typically have about 10 seconds to get good cake shots (run in before they announce the couple!!!) so I rarely get such beautiful light and detail. Bravo!

Also love #6, again your subjects are so well lit, sharp, and the expressions here are so wonderful. Gorgeous ladies!

You did such a fantastic job Elaine, I am SOOOOO impressed and excited for you! Now, go put your feet up! rolleyes1.gif

Thanks a ton, Lynne! Yes, I was surprised at how sore and tired I was as we walked to the car at the end of the day! :D

I'm a bit embarassed to admit this, but neither I nor the main photog even owns an external flash, let alone any lighting set-up! (I know...what were we doing shooting a wedding, right?) The shot of the bridesmaids just came at the right moment. We were working in open shade for all the posed group shots, but the sun kept darting in and out behind clouds, so some light was better than others. I was sooo worried about getting racoon eyes, and we probably did on some, but hopefully the shots from the rest of the day make up for any non-ideally lit shots. I'm sure if I had a flash and knew how to use it I would have a higher number of pictures that "worked" because I wouldn't have to be so dependent on natural lighting conditions. I did use my pop-up flash a few times during the dancing as it was a bit dark under their covered patio. It really helped on some shots and I totally blew out some shots!

Because I was second shooter, I had the luxury of spending some time with the cake and the rings while the main shooter was documenting the toasts, etc... Perhaps they did things a bit out of order too??? After the ceremony they went to the buffet reception, time to eat, time for toasts and then time for cake and some dancing.

#6 came late enough in the day that I was able to use some late afternoon light...perfect! And it was a super fast candid moment...just wanted to catch the gal on the left because she caught the bouquet, and then she quickly pulled the other gal (a bridesmaid) into the shot. I had my 90mm on and I couldn't back up fast enough without losing the moment, so I just framed as best I could and clicked! I wish we could have done a bunch more with the B&G at that time of day!

Thank you so much for your encouragment!!! :D After doing this one time, I am even more impressed with the amazing amount of amazing work that you and Andi and Scott turn out! bowdown.gif
    Elaine

• Options
    ShepsMomShepsMom Registered Users Posts: 4,319 Major grins
    So why where you a 2nd photographer? You should've shoved the first one out of the way rolleyes1.gif
    Excellent shots Elaine. Now you know what it is you have to do. Loved your shots! What lens were you using? thumb.gif
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
    Nikon 70-200 2.8/50 1.8/85 1.8/14.24 2.8
  • Options
    ShepsMom wrote:
    So why where you a 2nd photographer? You should've shoved the first one out of the way rolleyes1.gif
    Excellent shots Elaine. Now you know what it is you have to do. Loved your shots! What lens were you using? thumb.gif

Thanks, Marina! I'm currently shooting a Konica Minolta 5D and the two lenses I used were the KM 28-75 f/2.8 and the Tamron 90mm f/2.8 macro. My 28-75 is nice and sharp at 5.6, so I try not to go much wider than that on that lens. My 90 is nice and sharp at 2.8 (love it!), but the nature of a macro lens is slow to auto focus. I learned that I would really like a wider angle lens and a faster portrait prime lens (non-macro). Of course, I also would like a new camera system as my 2-year old KM with 6 megapixels is somewhat obsolete! Maybe next year I can upgrade...Canon's high ISO performance is calling my name! :D
    Elaine

• Options
    edited September 19, 2007
    Elaine wrote:
    Thanks, Marina! I'm currently shooting a Konica Minolta 5D and the two lenses I used were the KM 28-75 f/2.8 and the Tamron 90mm f/2.8 macro. My 28-75 is nice and sharp at 5.6, so I try not to go much wider than that on that lens. My 90 is nice and sharp at 2.8 (love it!), but the nature of a macro lens is slow to auto focus. I learned that I would really like a wider angle lens and a faster portrait prime lens (non-macro). Of course, I also would like a new camera system as my 2-year old KM with 6 megapixels is somewhat obsolete! Maybe next year I can upgrade...Canon's high ISO performance is calling my name! :D
    Sounds like you need
    • Canon 40D
    • Canon EF-S 17-85 f/2.8 IS
    • Canon EF 70-200 f/2.8 IS (or the Sigma 70-200 f/2.8)
    • Canon 580EX II
    • Some off-camera lighting

That'll set you back a bit, but OMG NEW TOYS!!! The only hurdle is getting the purchase order past the CFO!rolleyes1.gif But, your work certainly warrants the expenditure!
  • Options
    Sounds like you need
    • Canon 40D
    • Canon 580EX II
    That'll set you back a bit, but OMG NEW TOYS!!! The only hurdle is getting the purchase order past the CFO!rolleyes1.gif But, your work certainly warrants the expenditure!

I think you've been reading my mind, Scott! rolleyes1.gif I may even add the 85 f/1.8 to that list, and I would like a nice macro lens, too. Right now, we're dealing with computer issues and my hubby is much more excited about getting a new computer system for me than a new camera system! Hmmm...I wonder why?! Maybe because he would actually get to use the new computer! :D There seems to always be something to spend money on. But I appreciate your vote for the camera goodies! :D
    Elaine

• Options
    Sounds like you need
    • Canon 40D
    • Canon 580EX II

Now that is a pretty good list!!! Scott read my mind too! Actually, I wondered if the Sony Alpha will work with the lenses that you already own?
    It is a thought, but I would definately price out all lenses and accessories you think you might want and compare that to Canon or Nikon before you buy. I have a pile of pentax gear that I had collected since high school, but when I decided to go digital, it didn't seem smart to not go Canon, not only because of expense, but also availability of certain focal lengths and F stop lenses and accessories. And then ther is that high ISO performance you mentioned. I have seen lightly used 30D s beeing sold for a pretty reasonable deal since thae 40D was introduced!!!
  • Options
    Elaine wrote:
    I think you've been reading my mind, Scott! rolleyes1.gif I may even add the 85 f/1.8 to that list, and I would like a nice macro lens, too. Right now, we're dealing with computer issues and my hubby is much more excited about getting a new computer system for me than a new camera system! Hmmm...I wonder why?! Maybe because he would actually get to use the new computer! :D There seems to always be something to spend money on. But I appreciate your vote for the camera goodies! :D
    The EF 85 f/1.8 is a sweet lens. The EF 100 f/2.8 macro is also quite nice, but might be a little long. I've heard good things about the EF 60mm.
  • Options
    Yes, the Sony Alpha will work with my gear. But it's not Minolta and I don't like how it feels in my hand. I went with KM when I switched to digital because I had a Minolta film camera and lenses that would work on the KM 5D. And I really did NOT like how the Rebel fit in my hand and I couldn't justify a 20d at that stage in my photography "development." I love the ergonomics and hand feel of my camera, and I think a Nikon is actually more similar in those respects than a Canon is. I'd like to hold a Canon 40d and see what it's like. I've actually been more interested in Nikon until I've learned more about the ISO performance of Canon. But the new Nikon D300 may also be a possibility. Anyway, there's lots to consider, but once Minolta went away I figured a change in camera system would happen for me eventually.

The lenses that Scott mentions, the 85 and the 60 macro, are another reason to go for either Canon or Nikon...more lenses available!
    Elaine

• Options
    Elaine wrote:
    Yes, the Sony Alpha will work with my gear. But it's not Minolta and I don't like how it feels in my hand. I went with KM when I switched to digital because I had a Minolta film camera and lenses that would work on the KM 5D. And I really did NOT like how the Rebel fit in my hand and I couldn't justify a 20d at that stage in my photography "development." I love the ergonomics and hand feel of my camera, and I think a Nikon is actually more similar in those respects than a Canon is. I'd like to hold a Canon 40d and see what it's like. I've actually been more interested in Nikon until I've learned more about the ISO performance of Canon. But the new Nikon D300 may also be a possibility. Anyway, there's lots to consider, but once Minolta went away I figured a change in camera system would happen for me eventually.

The lenses that Scott mentions, the 85 and the 60 macro, are another reason to go for either Canon or Nikon...more lenses available!

I think that another one to look at is the Fuji S5 Pro. It is based on the Nikon D200, and accepts Nikon glass, but it is NOT a D200. It supposedly really shines at wedding photography. I have read some really good things about it.
  • Options
    DavidSDavidS Registered Users Posts: 1,279 Major grins
    WOW! Those are great. I like the unique angles on a number of them.
  • Options
    nicoleshillidaynicoleshilliday Registered Users Posts: 549 Major grins
    edited September 25, 2007
    i like all the shots! if i could change one thing it would be the flowers in #3. I always tell my bridal party to drop the flowers down a few so i can see the top of the dress in the pic. Makes it look less funny...
    Nicole
    D3, and other Nikon goodies
    Shilliday Photography
    Blog
    Facebook