Options

Family Photo Restoration Fun

dlibrachdlibrach Registered Users Posts: 232 Major grins
edited September 25, 2007 in Other Cool Shots
My father emailed me a scanned photo of his father's family (my grandfather) and asked if there was anything I could do to fix the top-left corner. Had a look at it and decided that it deserved a bit more attention. We don't know when it was taken or who exactly everyone is as my grandfater passed away 25+ years ago.

It took me a while and I've never tried to restore an old photo before, but I think it worked out quite well.

Many people complain that modern technology and photoshop are destroying photography. However, it can also help preserve and restore memories that would otherwise have been lost.

Cheers,
D

Here's the original. My grandfather is the little boy with the scarf around his neck:
199858738-L.jpg

And this is my attempt at retouching:
199870100-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    RhuarcRhuarc Registered Users Posts: 1,464 Major grins
    edited September 24, 2007
    Nice job! I'm really impressed with the clone job in the upper right hand corner. That's a pretty clean add on!
  • Options
    Thanks Rhuarc. Are you referring to the top-left of the photo where it was torn? After seeing it here, decided it could use a bit more touch-up.

Edit: Updated photo above.
  • Options
    GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
    Wow, you should be really proud of that! I'm no expert, but it looks really well done to me!
    Emily
    Psalm 62:5-6

• Options
    rusticrustic Registered Users Posts: 199 Major grins
    Wow, you should be really proud of that! I'm no expert, but it looks really well done to me!
    15524779-Ti.gif Very nice, I'm sure many members of your family will appreciate this!
  • Options
    Thanks greensquared and rustic. I am proud of it! Although I might have done too god of a job on it. Now both my family and my wife's want to send me more old family photos to fix. Oh well, it'll save me on having to buy xmas presents. :D

Cheers,
    D
  • Options
    Mrs FMrs F Registered Users Posts: 164 Major grins
    edited September 25, 2007
    Ditto everyone's comments above. You did an excellent job on the restoration. You've inspired me to tackle some of my own restoration projects. Did you by any chance read Katrin Eismann's book Restoration and Retouching? It's an excellent read.

Kari
    C and C always welcome.
  • Options
    DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    Outstanding effort David. If this was your first time out the gate doing restoring you sure did an excellent job. thumb.gif
    Michael
  • Options
    Thanks Daddy O and MrsF. I haven't heard of that book but I'll have to check it out. The hardest part I found is knowing when to stop. I can see that there are some areas that I went a bit too far and others that still need some fixing. I understand now why people charge so much for doing this sort of thing.

Yes Daddy O, this was the first but apparently not the last. Have a bunch more that the folks are going to send me. Looks like I'll get lots of practice.
  • Options
    DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    Definately charge what you are worth and then a bit more. I have done this kind of work and it is seriously difficult to get it right and you did get it right. Course when I did it the software was lame and my personal skill only so good. None the less I poured hours upon hours to the task. I got a decent return for all the photos I worked on and learned tons.

Short story....
    Went to a bid opening way back.... The losing contractor, whom I over heard and will for ever remember said, "I already know how to do the work
    so I don't need the exercise." Later I found out he was right price and the winning bidder so badly underpriced ,by two hundred thousand or so, gave up the contract.

Price your work neatly, don't be bashful, folks know quality when they see it or get it. They will spred the word.

My short $ three cents. :D
    Michael