Options

Before and Afters (to help teach and learn)

rosselliotrosselliot Registered Users Posts: 702 Major grins
edited September 26, 2007 in Finishing School
Okay, here are the rules:

Post your before and afters and then post what you did, in as much detail as possible, what you did to make that picture look like it does. Make sure to mention what program you are using and what version.

I'll start off:

ah-2.jpg
> AH-23.jpg

This was done on Photoshop CS3 and to get a bit of a LOMOGRAPHY feeling, I created a heavy vignette by going to filter, lens correction, vignette. Then, change to your CHANNEL MIXER and increase blue and green to about 50%. Then - - VOILA! How easy is that?!

- Ross
www.rossfrazier.com
www.rossfrazier.com/blog

My Equipment:
Canon EOS 5D w/ battery grip
Backup Canon EOS 30D | Canon 28 f/1.8 | Canon 24 f/1.4L Canon 50mm f/1.4 | Sigma 50mm f/2.8 EX DI Macro | Canon 70-200 F/2.8 L | Canon 580 EX II Flash and Canon 550 EX Flash
Apple MacBook Pro with dual 24" monitors
Domke F-802 bag and a Shootsac by Jessica Claire
Infiniti QX4

Comments

• Options
    KaseystringerKaseystringer Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited September 25, 2007
    My before and after
    Sepia, grain, burned edges, texture!

CD103.jpg
    Sorry so big...didn't downsize this one!

CD103f.jpg
  • Options
    cletuscletus Registered Users Posts: 1,930 Major grins
    edited September 25, 2007
    Hiya Kasey wave.gif

Welcome to dgrin!
  • Options
    RustingInPeaceRustingInPeace Registered Users Posts: 255 Major grins
    edited September 26, 2007
    A Little Fashion
    195123624-M-2.jpg

195123443-M-2.jpg

Used the Softfocus filter for Photoplugins. Set to max and overlay.

“Look, I'm not an intellectual - I just take pictures.” -Helmut Newton-
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    Cool beans, Ross! Nice start on this thread. :D

:lurk
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    Thanks Cletus for the Shout out!!
  • Options
    saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    Sepia, grain, burned edges, texture!

CD103f.jpg

That is a great shot! If I hadn't seen the original, I would swear this was a vintage photo. Welcome to the forum! Love the poses in this.
  • Options
    They are in a band, so I felt I would give it a band look! Ross I love your stuff! The colors are awesome.
  • Options
    They are in a band, so I felt I would give it a band look! Ross I love your stuff! The colors are awesome.

Thanks guys!

And Thanks, Kasey! Welcome to the forum! ; - )Glad to have you here!
    www.rossfrazier.com
    www.rossfrazier.com/blog

My Equipment:
    Backup Canon EOS 30D | Canon 28 f/1.8 | Canon 24 f/1.4L Canon 50mm f/1.4 | Sigma 50mm f/2.8 EX DI Macro | Canon 70-200 F/2.8 L | Canon 580 EX II Flash and Canon 550 EX Flash
    Infiniti QX4
  • Options
    okay! I have another one...I love before and afters!! :D

Clearly on this one, I was trying for some lens flare and got minimal (you can see some read on her chin, but that's all). So I had to make me some in photoshop. This photo was bland and looked one, maybe two dimensional, as many photographs do, right out of the camera! So I did some work, and this is what I got!

BEFORE neema123-2.jpg
    AFTER neema-17-1.jpg

On this one, in lightroom, I increased the exposure to 1.53, recovery to 15, then blacks to 17. a little but of curve adjustments to the darks, and highlights set to 65 with a sat of 38 and shadows of 199 set to 12 saturation and toggled with the balance till it's +60. I did almost a full vignette with the midpoint to 31 and a bit of sharpening. I know it sounds like a lot - but just make an action for it and it's nothing! haha. then, I went into photoshop CS3 and cloned out the tip of my finger, created a layer with the SCREEN blending mode. I added a white foreground then made a gradient from where the sun was coming from. Then add a photo filter adjustment layer and set the density to 100%. If your default settings are off, make sure that you have the filter to WARMING FILTER. change the Blending mode to overlay and reduced the opacity just by a couple of percentage points. I got this from an online tutorial, but again, I have an action for it now....so I'm not sure where it came from.

Enjoy!

- Ross

P.S. - I know it seems so elementary for me to have my hand in the picture, but I was having to cover up the sun because it wouldn't focus on her without covering it up....that's what you get when you try accomplish lens flare :)
    www.rossfrazier.com
    www.rossfrazier.com/blog

My Equipment:
    Infiniti QX4