>>> Last Photographer Standing (Discussion)

Comments

• RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,893 moderator
    edited September 18, 2007
    LiquidAir wrote:
    Yes, Arrow's Impossibility Theorm applies to the LPS Judging system and as a consequence the judging system lacks the propery of "indepenance of irrelevant alternatives." What does that mean in English? That if the judges were asked to rank subsets of the entries opposed to the full pool they won't always come up with the same ordering.

What it means in practice is that if the judges were asked to rank just photo #10 and photo #11, sometimes #11 would come out on top. The reason that can happen is that the judges who didn't vote for either #10 or #11 in the full contest are forced to weigh in on the subset and can reverse the outcome. Asking for the judges voting record won't give you what you need to demonstrate this effect because only their top 10 rankings are recorded.

Do you really think this is a big deal in the larger scheme of things? There is no avoiding Arrow's Incompleteness Therom without limiting the judging pool to 2 judges and it seems to me that if we have to pick one of the possible defects, losing independance is easily the best choice.

Good grief, is this Dgrin or Slashdot? Never thought I would see Kenneth Arrow pop up here. rolleyes1.gif
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    rsinmadrid wrote:
    Good grief, is this Dgrin or Slashdot? Never thought I would see Kenneth Arrow pop up here.
    Seriously! You guys are making my head hurt! When I come on dgrin, I'm getting away from theorems and equations, fer chrissakes!!! lol3.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

I found what I was looking for in great detail in the links included with tonight's #13 announcement: These links might make a useful appendix to the Rule thread for those of us who haven't been following along from the beginning are trying to come up to speed late in the game.
    Not a bad idea, I added them here:
    http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=496406&postcount=1
    Erik

edited September 26, 2007
    DoctorIt wrote:
    I just added another query today, step-by-step:

Are you kidding? I STILL don't know how to link exif!
    Erik

• leaforteleaforte Registered Users Posts: 1,948 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2007
    Craggy or Smooth is going to be a GREAT shoot out. I can feel it. Thanks!
    Growing with Dgrin

• ifocusifocus Registered Users Posts: 161 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2007
    Some clarifications
    The answer is probably right in my face but anyhow, are we allow to submit another picture in a qualification round even if we are already qualify for a semi-final? If yes, what happen if we finish in the top 10? Cheers, JY

:photo
  • pyroPrints.compyroPrints.com Registered Users Posts: 1,383 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2007
    ifocus wrote:
    The answer is probably right in my face but anyhow, are we allow to submit another picture in a qualification round even if we are already qualify for a semi-final? If yes, what happen if we finish in the top 10? Cheers, JY

:photo

You are allowed to submit another picture. If you qualify again, all that means that one less person qualified for the final, slightly improving you odds.
    pyroPrints.com (my little t-shirt shop)
    pyroPrints.com/5819572 The Photo Section
  • eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2007
    Size of entries?
    The original rules dictate max size for smugmug linked photos of 'L'. Does that still hold with the new XXL size options?
    Thanks,
    E
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2007
    eoren1 wrote:
    The original rules dictate max size for smugmug linked photos of 'L'. Does that still hold with the new XXL size options?
    Thanks,
    E

I beat ya to it! :D

http://www.digitalgrin.com/showthread.php?t=74116
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2007
    Figured if there was a change the original rules post would have been updated...thanks for the link.
    E
    edited November 11, 2007
    eoren1 wrote:
    Figured if there was a change the original rules post would have been updated...thanks for the link.
    E
    This is the rule:
    Photos must be not longer than 800 pixels on their longest side.

This still holds true and is completely independent of Smugmug, so there is no need for updating the rules. Anything beyond that sentence is merely included to help you.
    Erik

• studio12cstudio12c Registered Users Posts: 95 Big grins
    edited November 19, 2007
    Well I thought I would jump in however when I try and upload a photo using the manage attechment button I get the attachment key. Nothing that allows me to select a photo
    www.stinkyfeet.biz
    edited November 19, 2007
    Well I thought I would jump in however when I try and upload a photo using the manage attechment button I get the attachment key. Nothing that allows me to select a photo
    www.stinkyfeet.biz
    Hey Stinky,
    We're going through some server "upgrades" and attachments (which take up space on our server) have been turned off. See here:

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=76574&highlight=attachments

Embedding and linking are currently the only way to submit photos. Both of which are far superior to attachments anyway.
    thumb.gif
    Erik

• xrisxris Registered Users Posts: 546 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2007
    Dates?
    Call me thick, but I've looked through any threads and rules I can find and I'm still trying to figure out dates for LPS 16: ne_nau.gif
    the photo must be fresh, taken during this contest period.
    Does this mean photos entered in LPS 16 must have been taken since Nov. 12, the opening date of "this Contest" LPS 16; or since March, the opening date of the "this contest" LPS 2007? rolleyes1.gif
    X www.thepicturetaker.ca
  • VisualXpressionsVisualXpressions Registered Users Posts: 860 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2007
    As stated in the entry thread... Welcome to Contest #16, a qualifying round. This round is open to any dgrin member! It will run from Monday, November 12 15st 00:01 (12:01am), NYC time (GMT -5) to Monday, November 26th 00:01 (12:01am), NYC time (GMT -5).

shot must be taken between 12 and 26 November... from the opening date of the current contest...

Winston
    edited November 21, 2007
    xris wrote:
    Call me thick, but I've looked through any threads and rules I can find and I'm still trying to figure out dates for LPS 16: ne_nau.gif
    X, the rule you read and posted in is general, as listed in the rules thread.

the dates for each round are always posted in the respective entry thread, along with the topic.

To be clear, the entry thread for LPS16 is here:
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=76205

I'm a little worried that you looked so hard and didn't find it - that thread is stickied at the top of the forum. I always try and keep things organized so they're very easy to access.
    headscratch.gif
    Erik

• xrisxris Registered Users Posts: 546 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2007
    DoctorIt wrote:
    X, the rule you read and posted in is general, as listed in the rules thread.

the dates for each round are always posted in the respective entry thread, along with the topic.

To be clear, the entry thread for LPS16 is here:
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=76205

I'm a little worried that you looked so hard and didn't find it - that thread is stickied at the top of the forum. I always try and keep things organized so they're very easy to access.
    headscratch.gif
    Agreed. But as you did here, LPS is the "contest" and 16 is a "round." The rule says "dates of the 'contest.' Thus, the need for clarification.

I suggest that the rule, to be clear, should refer to the 'dates of this round.'

Anyway. Thanks. I'm clear now.

clap.gif
    X www.thepicturetaker.ca
  • kp-pixkp-pix Registered Users Posts: 191 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2007
    Are tryptich's legal? One would think so if composites are allowable!
  • pyroPrints.compyroPrints.com Registered Users Posts: 1,383 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2007
    kp-pix wrote:

It is indeed. I've entered several before. And I'm seriously considering entering one this time too. BTW your entry is quite nice.
    pyroPrints.com (my little t-shirt shop)
    pyroPrints.com/5819572 The Photo Section
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2007
    kp-pix wrote:
    As long as there are no frames...mwink.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • kp-pixkp-pix Registered Users Posts: 191 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2007
    Ok cool and thanks. Now to work out the sizing! apparently, it isn't too hot right now and to keep it within that 800 headscratch.gif

thanks again :D
  • ShamguessShamguess Registered Users Posts: 88 Big grins
    edited December 24, 2007
    image size question
    I noticed in looking at the exif info on the contest entrants that many of the images are bigger than 800 pixels and/or 150 mb. How do these images pass the rules? If they are too big, are they eliminated from judging? I must be missing something because it is a large percentage this time.
    Curious
  • TentacionTentacion Registered Users Posts: 940 Major grins
    edited December 24, 2007
    Usually, from what I have seen in the past, the entries are checked in the thread prior to closing, and a NOTE is left that the image exceeds the contest rules and the photo has been eliminated, and the photo is then removed, it is up to the participant to resize and reenter the corrected version...
    You're only as good as your next photo....
    One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote
    edited December 24, 2007
    800 pixel limit
    In contest 18, I checked the first 19 images on the first two pages. Three of them are 800 pixels wide. Fourteen of them are well over 800 pixels and two have no exif attached or have it hand typed in. Is it possible that so many appear to be over the size limit because they are linked directly through smugmug? In other words, if you link a "large" image from smugmug, is it within the rules no matter what size the file shows in exif? If so, I am wasting time resizing my image I suppose.
    Thanks.
  • HoofClixHoofClix Registered Users Posts: 1,156 Major grins
    edited December 24, 2007
    I only see one image that is larger than 800, #29 by biotemp which is at 900 pixels wide. I'm sure that when the judges figure it out it will be disqualified...

Make sure you are checking the properties of the image IN THE THREAD, not clicking on the exif data and reading the image size. Check that by right-clicking the image, select properties, and the size of the image in the thread will be displayed...
    Mark
    www.HoofClix.com / Personal Facebook / Facebook Page
    and I do believe its true.. that there are roads left in both of our shoes..
    edited December 24, 2007
    Ah ha! I was just looking at the exif.
    Thanks!
  • DalantechDalantech Registered Users Posts: 1,519 Major grins
    edited December 24, 2007
    Shamguess wrote:
    Ah ha! I was just looking at the exif.
    Thanks!

I never crop, so the exif is going to show a 10MP image...
    My SmugMug Gallery

Looking for tips on macro photography? Check out my Blog: No Cropping Zone.
    edited December 24, 2007
    HoofClix wrote:
    I only see one image that is larger than 800, #29 by biotemp which is at 900 pixels wide. I'm sure that when the judges figure it out it will be disqualified...
    cut me some slack - it's xmas! (remember I'm 15 or so hours ahead of most of you, so our schedules are mixed up).
    Make sure you are checking the properties of the image IN THE THREAD, not clicking on the exif data and reading the image size. Check that by right-clicking the image, select properties, and the size of the image in the thread will be displayed...
    nod.gif

smug exif always lists the original image properties.
    Erik

• HoofClixHoofClix Registered Users Posts: 1,156 Major grins
    edited December 24, 2007
    DoctorIt wrote:
    cut me some slack - it's xmas! (remember I'm 15 or so hours ahead of most of you, so our schedules are mixed up).

nod.gif

smug exif always lists the original image properties.

Hey Doc, I wasn't cutting you, just springing my butt as usual! Hope you enjoyed your grilling and a good long ride down there! Ready to hit the rack up here!
    Mark
    www.HoofClix.com / Personal Facebook / Facebook Page
    and I do believe its true.. that there are roads left in both of our shoes..
  • miguelcandelamiguelcandela Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited January 10, 2008
    I guess the size are too big