-
Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8G IF-ED AF-S VR Zoom-Nikkor
- Nikon 17-35mm f/2.8D IF-ED AF-S Nikkor
- Nikon 85mm f/1.8D AF Nikkor

If my budget permits, i will also go for:
-
Nikon 135mm f/2D AF DC-Nikkor
- Nikon 12-24mm f/4G IF-ED AF-S DX Zoom Nikkor

Currently I have D50 and will soon purchase D300 as an upgrade. I love to have D3 due to its ISO performance but it is beyond my budget limit. Prevously thinking about converting to Canon because of its ISO performance but i think it is no longer necessary because the Nikon technology is already there.

Another question i would like to ask is, how do i know which lenses are compatible with FF sensor? Is abbr. DX means for AP-C sensor?

Your recommendation and advice is highly appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited September 25, 2007
    Hey Rajul,

Welcome to dgrin!

You are certainly looking at some big time gear and mentioning budget in the same token.ne_nau.gif So I'll ignore that stuff and make a recomendation for your first lens to be the Nikon 18-200 mm F/3.5-5.6G ED-IF AF DX VR Lens. WHile the aaperture doesn't stop down as low as the other glass you are looking at. You can hand hold this glass at much slower speeds than non VR to soak up that available light.

This lens is awesome! It gives you the ability to shoot a BROAD range of shots w/o changing glass. Eventually you'll want both a wider and longer lens if youend up doing weddings professinally. This lens is so versatile though, you'll get great use out of it even if you decide to shoot other things.

Total price 750USD.

Good luck inyour search.

-Jon
  • Options
    SeymoreSeymore Banned Posts: 1,539 Major grins
    Greetings rajul... With those first 3, I think you'll be making a great start. But I do see the range of 35-70mm being left out. I'd suggest you shoot a few events with that setup and see if you're missing the above mentioned range... and fill it as needed. The 28-70/2.8 (linky But not the white one. Other shooters will think you have gone to the dark-side rolleyes1.gif ) would fill that void quite well.

As far as the 18-200... I feel it would not serve you well in low light situations, and I suspect you'd be seeing many of those at wedding. But your 85/1.8 is great in those situation. You should not need flash and could render shots similar to this wide open. And don't forget the SB-800 if you need a flash. The most versatile of Nikons iTTL units. It'll do it all...

The 135 DC is more of a specialized lens and I would also suggest you try to find a place local to you to rent this before forking out the cash. This is a very pricey lens for its limited/selective use.

DX IS for crop sensors and would give you vignetting on the D3, in FF mode (I understand the D3 can act as a crop sensor), or any FF sensor. If you have plans to head that way, you may want to re-think DX lenses to avoid confusion.

HTH and have phun shooting your events... thumb.gif
  • Options
    dangindangin Registered Users Posts: 458 Major grins
    let's see here:
    - Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8
    - Nikon 17-35mm f/2.8D
    - Nikon 85mm f/1.8D

that's some serious glass there... my .02 if you're going to stick to cameras that have APS-c sensors is, drop the Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8 and get the Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 and Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8. Take the few hundred bucks left over and pickup a couple extra 4GB or 8GB CF cards.

i have 2 of the 18-200mm VR lenses that SloYerRoll referred to. if it's an outdoor wedding, i can shoot the whole day with just that one lens stopped down to about f/8. that rarely happens though. i find the two aforementioned Tamrons to be indispensable however.
    - Dan

- my photography: www.dangin.com
    - my blog: www.dangin.com/blog
    - follow me on twitter: @danginphoto
  • Options
    rajulrajul Registered Users Posts: 39 Big grins
    Thanks Sloyeroll, Seymore and Dangin for your reply.

As far as i know, lenses with high zoom range sacrifice optical quality. That's always discussed in many forums. So, i have skip 18-200mm and btw i have 28-200 which serve me well but i could see significance difference in IQ with my friend's image who uses f2.8 lens and primes. I am planning to stick with Nikkor FAST lenses and FF compatibility for future use.

Seymore, i will check with 28-70/f2.8 (excellent glass) to fill up the gap. What if i buy another prime 50/f1.8?? and i'll use my feet to fill the remaining gap mwink.gif

Any other advise pls ...
  • Options
    edited September 26, 2007
    rajul wrote:
    Seymore, i will check with 28-70/f2.8 (excellent glass) to fill up the gap. What if i buy another prime 50/f1.8?? and i'll use my feet to fill the remaining gap mwink.gif
    Well, I thought about that. But with 2 bodies, you'll prob want to swap lenses as little as possible. So my original thought process stands... Use the VR on one bod and swap the 2 wider lenses on the other bod. Well, unless you want to carry ALL the stuff during the shoot. I'd suggest you try to travel light... unless you have a Sherpa. mwink.gif

You have to be mobile at a wedding. :rambo
  • Options
    dangindangin Registered Users Posts: 458 Major grins
    don't forget lighting... i pack 2 SB-800s in my carry bag and 1 in my rolling lens case. *and* a quantum or DCB battery pack for it!
    - Dan

- my photography: www.dangin.com
    - my blog: www.dangin.com/blog
    - follow me on twitter: @danginphoto
  • Options
    diverjohndiverjohn Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    Nikkor lens
    Rajul:
    I shot my first wedding using a D80 with a AF-S 18-70mm 1:3.5•4.5 GED lens, and considered it nearly perfect for the job. The wedding was outdoors with reception inside. Here's why it worked well for me:
    1. at wide angle, I could take in the entire scene easily.
    2. the zoom was perfect for close ups of people.
    3. I tried a 55-200 1:4.5-6 zoom but it was difficult to stop motion blur.
    4. I consider 70mm to be the maximum end of "portrait lenses".
    5. Using this lens means I didn't have to change glass in a hurry or lug around anything more than a speedlight.
    I wouldn't be happy with any one of your picks, as I'd see myself changing lenses too often instead of looking for photo opps.
    ----

I am thinking of buying these lens as my top priority:
    -
    Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8G IF-ED AF-S VR Zoom-Nikkor

-
    Nikon 135mm f/2D AF DC-Nikkor

Currently I have D50 and will soon purchase D300 as an upgrade. I love to have D3 due to its ISO performance but it is beyond my budget limit. Prevously thinking about converting to Canon because of its ISO performance but i think it is no longer necessary because the Nikon technology is already there.

Another question i would like to ask is, how do i know which lenses are compatible with FF sensor? Is abbr. DX means for AP-C sensor?

[/quote]
  • Options
    jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    As far as i know, lenses with high zoom range sacrifice optical quality. That's always discussed in many forums. So, i have skip 18-200mm

I disagree in regards to the 18-200. You need the pro grade lenses for sure, but for receptions and candid shots, the 18-200 could be your best friend. You can get more shots because of how versatile the lens is. I would put the pro grade lenses on for the critical and formal shots, and the 18-200 for everything else.

You can get some intresting shots with the VR as it allows for hand held shooting at low shutterspeed. Because of this, you can get some great experimental shots playing with motion blur etc at the reception, dance etc. Plus, if you get a flash, you can bounce the light off the ceiling for softer light.
  • Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    Hi Rajul,

I have been doing a lot of in-door shooting lately. I have tried to use the 18-200 but gave up on it. It's just too slow for in-door shooting unless hte room is going to be very lit-up. The VR is effective for "camera shake" but unless your subjects are going to be standing stock still you're going to get motion blur.

I have been using the 17-35 2.8, the 28-70 2.8, and the 85mm 1.4 with good results. The 85mm 1.4 is amazing. It just soaks up the light and does very well wide open.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    Thanks all for the replies

Diverjohn, for the last 6 or more weddings that i shot, i only used kit lens 18-55 and my 28-200 which serve me well in terms of photo ops. But i have problem with their optical quality esp 28-200 and also poor performance in low light. That's why i am looking for F2.8 glass. I am glad that you are happy with your current lenses. As for me, for competitve reason, it is time for me to invest top-end glasses. I don't mind changing lens btw.

John68, i'm glad that you like your versatile 18-200vr but as Harryb said it will dissapoint you in low light. In many cases, i found that using available light rather than flash light, are more natural and pleasing to my eyes. That's one of the reason of going f2.8 lens.

Harryb, it is good to hear that you are happy with your lenses thumb.gif ... i would love to have those lenses .... soon mwink.gif
  • Options
    John68, i'm glad that you like your versatile 18-200vr but as Harryb said it will dissapoint you in low light. In many cases, i found that using available light rather than flash light, are more natural and pleasing to my eyes. That's one of the reason of going f2.8 lens.

You do need the f 2.8. What I am saying is the 18-200 is great for candid shots and using bounce lighting makes for great candid pictures. First is bounce lighting and second is available.

185292944-M.jpg

185292983-M-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 27, 2007
    jonh68 wrote:
    You do need the f 2.8. What I am saying is the 18-200 is great for candid shots and using bounce lighting makes for great candid pictures. First is bounce lighting and second is available.

The 18-200 is a fine lens and I use it a lot as my all purpose carry around lens especially when I'm travelling light. Its strong suit however is not low light shooting. They are other lenses out there that do better in low light.
    Harry
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    StephaniespixStephaniespix Registered Users Posts: 55 Big grins
    Rajul,
    For the D300, the 17-55, 70-200 VR and the 85 1.4 make a great combo.

I love the 28-70, and use it with the 17-35, though this range can be covered by the 17-55. I used the 17-55 at a wedding recently and was surprised by the performance, though wedding photographers had raved about it.

Good luck and enjoy the great glass :)

Stephanie

rajul wrote:
    Hi!

- Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8G IF-ED AF-S VR Zoom-Nikkor

- Nikon 135mm f/2D AF DC-Nikkor

• Options
    JetrangerJetranger Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
    Lenses
    I would say you are on the right track.

The 70-200VR is a must have ... but I would suggest the 17-55 f/2.8 for indoor work. I find the 55 end of this lens to be used more often than the 17 end. I was at 2 weddings this summer and both the 'pros' were using this lens as well as the 70-200VR on second bodies.

Avoid the consumer lenses (as you appear to be anyway) such as the 18-200. If you are doing weddings, you don't want to be sacrificing the quality and speed of the pro lenses.

I chose the 105 as a portrait lens - because I wanted the flexibility of also using it for macro work. As it turns out - I am now using it almost exclusively for macros.

My plan to pay for an expensive wideangle was changed after using the 17-55 and realizing that the 17 is wide enough for anything I have wanted to shoot.

Enjoy.

==========================================
    rajul wrote:
    Hi!

- Nikon 135mm f/2D AF DC-Nikkor

Steve
  • Options
    The 18-200 is a fine lens and I use it a lot as my all purpose carry around lens especially when I'm travelling light. Its strong suit however is not low light shooting. They are other lenses out there that do better in low light.

I am not arguing that and I would never use it for the actual wedding unless the lighting is superb. However, for the candid shots, it is a handy lens to have. Zoom in,zoom out, whatever you need. Candid shots at the reception don't wait for the photographer to change lenses. If the lighting is really bad, bounce ligthing with the flash makes for great diffused ligthing that is not harsh on skin tones.

Plus, the VR will keep the lens steady and it can make for some great isolation shots if the subject is stationary and people are moving around it. You can work it's weakeneses and make it an advantage.
  • Options
    edited September 28, 2007
    jonh68 wrote:
    I am not arguing that and I would never use it for the actual wedding unless the lighting is superb. However, for the candid shots, it is a handy lens to have. Zoom in,zoom out, whatever you need. Candid shots at the reception don't wait for the photographer to change lenses. If the lighting is really bad, bounce ligthing with the flash makes for great diffused ligthing that is not harsh on skin tones.

Plus, the VR will keep the lens steady and it can make for some great isolation shots if the subject is stationary and people are moving around it. You can work it's weakeneses and make it an advantage.

I certainly agree with you john68. That was what i did with my 28-200mm ... really useful for candids.

I am planning to do this, for my first body i will use 17-35mm and for second body i will use 70-200mm which can be used for candids. But i need to experience them first.

More advices are welcome. Thanks to all again.
  • Options
    jthomasjthomas Registered Users Posts: 454 Major grins
    edited September 28, 2007
    I am no wedding photographer, but I strongly suggest you consider the 17-55 rather than the 17-35. I recently traded my 17-35 for a 17-55 and I'm very happy that I did. The image quality is essentially the same, and the 17-55 covers a wider range. And it's sharper wide open than the 17-35.

Two respected professional photographers discuss the comparison here. (This is an audio file).
  • Options
    edited September 29, 2007
    It is very convincing to hear from you (stephanie, jetranger, jthomas) that you are happy with 17-55mm f2.8. This is actually my top selection in the first place but as i mentioned earlier, i need lenses that are compitable for FF sensor. If i am not mistaken, 17-55mm is dx lens, right?

As far as 17-35mm is concerned, i have seen a lot of positive reviews on this lens. Some review, in fact, have mix conclusion on both lenses but i guess the difference should be minor, may be.

Thanks to all again for being helpful clap.gif, i hope to hear more comments from you.
  • Options
    edited September 30, 2007
    I just bought a used 85mm 1.8 and Ihave been using for volleyball and football. I can't speak about it's performance at weddings, but I love it for those two venues. It's light and works great for handeld shooting.
  • Options
    edited October 2, 2007
    After searching, studying and comparing, i finally ready to purchase these:
    - Nikor 50mm f/1.8
    - Speedlight SB800
    - D300 with vertical grip (pre-order, no price yet)

The following will be my new accesscories:
    - 4 lens Lowepro pouches
    - Lowepro card wallet
    - 5X2gb sandisk extreme III
    - Lowepro vest and harness system
    - Digital Cabinet 0.85 litre

Hopefully this will cure my Nikon Acquisition Syndrome (NAS) for few years time :D.

Thanks to all again for your kind advice.

• Options
    edited October 2, 2007
    rajul wrote:
    After searching, studying and comparing, i finally ready to purchase these:
    - Nikor 50mm f/1.8
    - Speedlight SB800
    - D300 with vertical grip (pre-order, no price yet)

The following will be my new accesscories:
    - 4 lens Lowepro pouches
    - Lowepro card wallet
    - 5X2gb sandisk extreme III
    - Lowepro vest and harness system
    - Digital Cabinet 0.85 litre

Hopefully this will cure my Nikon Acquisition Syndrome (NAS) for few years time :D.

Thanks to all again for your kind advice.

thumb.gif

Outstanding glass selection.

But there is known cure for NAS. I give you 3 months before the lust sets in again. :ivar
    Harry
  • Options
    edited October 2, 2007
    rajul wrote:
    Very doubtful. It will be back with more of a vengeance on the next round. eek7.gif

Harryb wrote:
    thumb.gif

Outstanding glass selection.
    15524779-Ti.gif

Harryb wrote:
    But there is known cure for NAS. I give you 3 months before the lust sets in again. :ivar
    What, marriage? I've heard many talk about this as one of the cures, but my DW has no affect on my MF NAS. And if he were to "donate" all the gear to someone else (mainly me) he would then have to start at ground zero again. That's no cure. rolleyes1.gif

Honestly, I think the only 2 real cures are homelessness and death... thumb.gif
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2007
    rajul - I don't shoot Nikon (Canon is my poison of choice) and don't know much about the Nikon lens line-up, but I do know a thing or two about shooting in-door events.

One of the things you want to capture at a wedding/reception is the sense of the ambient lighting, because that is what your clients are going to remember. If you shoot with a slower lens (3.5 or less), you will be limited in this area. Regardless of the amount of flash you use, only fast glass will allow you to capture the warmth of the ambient light and still maintain fast enough shutter speeds to, some-what, stop action (motion blur can be a good thing at times).

Here's an example of what I'm talking about.
    199249157-M.jpg

199248254-M.jpg

These were both taken at ISO 800, 1/30s, f/2.8. It would have been nearly impossible to capture the warmth of the reception hall with a slower lens.

Get the fastest glass you can afford - offers you much better flexibility.

Note: These were done with off-camera lighting, but that doesn't invalidate what I'm saying - it applies whether you are shooting with on- or off-camera lighting.

Please - if you don't have one, find yourself a second body. It is just tempting fate too much to show up at a wedding with only one camera. That's when your one body will look at you, laugh in a demonic sort of fashion, and refuse to make an image for you. You need to have a backup/overlap for everything in your bag! Even you lenses - Your favorite work-horse lens may decide to quit talking to your camera body. I always arrive at a shoot with my two work-horse zooms (15-55 f/2.8 IS and 70-200 f/2.8 IS), but I also have 5 primes that will cover 90% of the useful range of the above (30 f/1.4, 50 f/1.4, 85 f/1.8, 100 f/2.8). I now shoot with off-camera lighting, but I also bring 2 Canon Speedlights - just in case.
  • Options
    edited October 4, 2007
    Thanks seymore and harryb for the NAS related advice and info ... you guys seems having more experience than me :D

Thanks scott for your useful advice. My previous setup was very basic i.e. D50 + kit lens, 28-200 and SB600. But now i am getting committed and that's why i purchase the above-mentioned lens to achieve shots using ambience light as many as possible. I am also ordering for D300, therefore, i can use my D50 as backupmwink.gif.

After all my priority buying-list have been settle, i will check my budget again so that i can consider buying another body and sell my D50. I am thinking of buying D80 ... aaahhhhh NAS again eek7.gif but i am no hurryrolleyes1.gif instead i am excited to see my new lenses in few days timemwink.gif

Thanks to all again for your kind input.