Options

wedding photogs...how many pics?

ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
edited September 29, 2007 in Weddings
How many pics do you typically make available/put in a proof gallery/put on CD for the B&G???

EDIT: Am I right to think that I should trim the number down so as not to overwhelm? I realize the number could vary depending on the type of wedding. I was the second shooter recently and I know the main photog is providing 470 pics! I'm hoping to do around 150-200.
Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography

Comments

• Options
    ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    edited September 25, 2007
    How long was that wedding?
    i think that if you shoot 75 -100 pix per hour about 25% should be keepers.....every wedding is different - light, bride and groom, location, number of guests and bridal party and of course the amount of time contracted for would be influential - I did a wedding in May - shot 1200 images and turned out about 300 so my calculation is about right...for ME!.

Elaine wrote:
    How many pics do you typically make available/put in a proof gallery/put on CD for the B&G???

EDIT: Am I right to think that I should trim the number down so as not to overwhelm? I realize the number could vary depending on the type of wedding. I was the second shooter recently and I know the main photog is providing 470 pics! I'm hoping to do around 150-200.
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited September 25, 2007
    I usually shoot between 800 and 1200 in a day, depending on the length of the contract. I can usually deliver between 200 and 250. On one job, a 5 hour stint, I only delivered about 175.
  • Options
    dangindangin Registered Users Posts: 458 Major grins
    edited September 28, 2007
    i double shoot a lot, so i usually end up with about 1200-1500 images total and weed that down to 700-1000 on average. a lot depends on the day, the couple, the guests, etc.

i tell every client: "you make the day, i capture it"

if it's a boring day... those become my 500 shot weddings where i'm struggling for content. then sometimes i end up with over 1200 keepers. go figure. headscratch.gif
    - Dan

- my photography: www.dangin.com
    - my blog: www.dangin.com/blog
    - follow me on twitter: @danginphoto
  • Options
    ShannonHeatShannonHeat Registered Users Posts: 222 Major grins
    The choice is all yours. I really don't think there is a wrong way. I shot a wedding on Sat. and am providing 545 pictures on DVD, and in my gallery for 30 days. If I shoot 800, and they all come out without ghosting, or blur, then I provide them all. I also don't sell prints, I charge the "price" up front, and they know they will have every wonderful memory to keep. It's what works for me. Good luck:D .
    Elaine wrote:

Shannon :D
    Canon Digital Rebel XTI, 430ex, sigma 24-70 f2.8 macro, a crummy kit lens, 4gb cf, and tons of batteries.
    www.heatonphotography.net
    http://picasaweb.google.com/heatonphotography
    www.myspace.com/heatonphotography
  • Options
    urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    There is no right or wrong answer. For me, it doesn't matter really how many I shoot (although they're all hovering around 800-1200 exposures total). It matters how many tell the story. Just because I shot something and its well exposed doesn't mean it's interesting. Showing the client too much feels (to me) like snapshots. The mediocre ones dilute the juicy good shots :D

something that can add to the overwhelm factor for B&Gs is group shots. I don't provide 12 versions of one group portrait; I pick the best one or two and move on. I've not had any complaints ne_nau.gif

Typically I deliver between 200 and 300 edited photos to clients, it all depends on how big their wedding was, how many formal groups, etc.

HTH-

Lynne
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • Options
    jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited September 29, 2007
    I have only done one wedding so far. I do have a definite and a possible in the future though( hurray!!). I shot in the ballpark of 1200 photos. I tossed quite a few, and gave them between 700 and 800 keepers of which 100 or so were dupes that recieved special editing and enhancing. Probably too many in my opinion, and no more than 500 would have been fine. The story could be told with much less than that. I think that is the approach I will take next time. Choose enough to tell the story, and the rest will be laniappe for them to sort through.
  • Options
    ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited September 29, 2007
    Thanks for ALL the feedback here, folks! I shot about 1200 photos in about 8 hours and I'm planning to deliver about 200 edited images, as a second shooter. This will not include any of the formal posed group shots as I was not in prime photographer position on those so mine did not turn out ideally. My shots will tell the story of the day...getting ready, ceremony, reception. I feel good about this. Thanks again everyone!
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography