Options

Carl Sandburg's Home

ridetwistyroadsridetwistyroads Registered Users Posts: 526 Major grins
edited February 23, 2005 in Landscapes
Worth a visit if you're in the area......

16280768-L.jpg
"There is a place for me somewhere, where I can write and speak much as I think, and make it pay for my living and some besides. Just where this place is I have small idea now, but I am going to find it" Carl Sandburg

Comments

• Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2005
    How come we only get one pic? ear.gif
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    ridetwistyroadsridetwistyroads Registered Users Posts: 526 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2005
    Sir yes sir!
    Per your request :D. (no problem, there's always more pictures to share.mwink.gif ) I haven't ps'd anything yet, only cropped the bridge shot.

It was a dreary, rainy day, so few wides were took. This was more documentation then anything.
    16315465-M.jpg
    Traffic is not allowed up to the house, for a few reasons I'd suppose. This brige would be one of them.

16315464-M.jpg

You walk along a path by this road, the avid motorcyclist I am, I couldn't resist this shot!

16280772-M.jpg

That leads you to the house, which I took few pictures of because the light of the day didn't seem to get along with the color of the house. I've been here a few times, and never in the sun! Eh, a good excuse to return.

Walking past the residence (only shot of house is first picture in thread) brings you to the farm area, Carl Sandburg's wife, iirc, kept animals such as goats, among other things. (hence the other thread in Portraits, "the grass is greener")

16315467-M.jpg

16315463-M.jpg

Walking further past the yard area leads you along a great double track road, but I have no idea where it goes. (shot taken looking back towards farm.)

16315466-M.jpg

I knew from checking the weather before I left the house that there were a few bands of rain coming through, and I made it back to my vehicle just as it opened up. On the way out, you pass by a little pavilion they set up to honor Mr. Sandburg, and educate visitors of his life and accomplishments. This quote will be my new signature line:
    (not enough dof, but, I only wanted to get the words, and I'm too lazy to write them down.rolleyes1.gif )
    16280853-M.jpg

Bonus picture - Went to find a few waterfalls after the skys started clearing. Found this guy GOING DOWN THE FALLS. He'd been down the top teir, the teir slightly out of frame to the left, and proceded to go down the much larger one behind me after I snapped the picture. Looks like fun? headscratch.gif :uhoh

16280857-M.jpg
    "There is a place for me somewhere, where I can write and speak much as I think, and make it pay for my living and some besides. Just where this place is I have small idea now, but I am going to find it" Carl Sandburg
  • Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2005
    Thanks Twisty! You know my style...I like to do the documentation thing better than the art thing. More pics tell your story, not the one from the nps site.

Looks like a cool place to visit!

thumb.gif
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    KMCCKMCC Registered Users Posts: 717 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2005
    Sandburg's home
    Thanks for those shots. They bring back many fond memories. I lived in Hendersonville (as you know - just north of Flat Rock) for many years and went down to the area around Sandburg's home frequently; often on my bicycle. It's a great place to spend some idle time.

Thanks for sharing them.

Kent
    "Not everybody trusts paintings, but people believe photographs."- Ansel Adams
    Web site