Options

streaming light in grand central terminal

AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
edited February 24, 2005 in Landscapes
i came up from underground today, had my 50mm f/1.4 on my camera and was all set to do some street shooting early this morning. i was greeted by the wondrous rays of streaming light that come in through the east windows in nyc's grand central terminal. i haven't seen this since last february, it's not a very common sight. very glad i had my camera with me, and glad i also had my 16-35L in my bag, too :)

these are in the editing queue, but i wanted to share because, well, becuase the light is just so cool! i don't like how the bottome of the flag in the first one got totally washed out, but nothing i can really do about that except possibly paste in a piece from a prior shot. probably not worth it, dunno. i'm going to experiment in the processing of these, i think i'm going to try and totally blow out the window, i was looking at it like that this morning, and it almost seemed "other-worldly." david_s85 will know what i mean here, and maybe even he can offer up some suggestions that will make it appear as if alien ships are landing on 42nd street and vanderbilt avenue :lol3

(proof image, still in the editing phase. click on image for exif)
16077866-L.jpg

(proof image, still in the editing phase. click on image for exif)
16077867-L.jpg

enjoy (those streaming rays of sunlight) photography,

Comments

• Options
    CosmicCosmic Registered Users Posts: 219 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2005
    I really like that first one Andy! What a neat effect it makes! thumb.gif The only thing is the washed out US Flag. But like you said, not much you could do without having to paste in a new part.

~Heidi~
    Lead me not into Temptation. I can find the way myself....

• Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2005
    Wonderful shot Andy.. thats the picture I wanted to take but my crew would'nt let me get there... I need to come alone..Congratulations on Kodak potd as wellclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gif again... whats it now 9? or 10 clap.gif
  • Options
    DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2005
    Interesting
    Are there buildings outside that prevent the sunlight from coming in on all three windows? It would be interesting to track the first rays to the last, according to the sun's movement, but not everyone has that luxury of time.

I hope you get to shoot The Gates in Central Park too.
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2005
    Andy, this is great. Thanks for letting us in on your process. Nice to see you struggle with the same problems as us mere mortals! naughty.gif Great eye and a lovely first shot - definitely my favorite. Evocative of your earlier shot. I'll be very curious to see how you handle the flag. Again, thanks for sharing this.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited February 18, 2005
    Dee wrote:
    Are there buildings outside that prevent the sunlight from coming in on all three windows? It would be interesting to track the first rays to the last, according to the sun's movement, but not everyone has that luxury of time.

thanks for commenting, dee.

years ago, dee, there's a famous shot in the nytimes archives (you can find it at nytimes.com/nytstore) there's a shot of the sun streaming in from the giant keyhole windows at the top of the station... sadly, the pan am (now metlife) building, and the other buildings around it, have caused that light to be blocked :cry

here is a link to the photo i'm talking about:
    http://www.nytimes.com/nytstore/photos/newyork/buildings/NSAPNY1.html
  • Options
    Tim KirkwoodTim Kirkwood Registered Users Posts: 900 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2005
    Andy,

I agree with everyone else, the first shot isthumb.gif . Will be interested in seeing what comes from PP.

Thanks for sharing and con grats on the KPOTD!

Tim
    www.KirkwoodPhotography.com

Speak with sweet words, for you never know when you may have to eat them....
  • Options
    Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited February 18, 2005
    Andy,
    They are both really nice. I think I like the first one best because of the wider view and less motion blurring. But, I like the second one alot too. I don't envy you the task of having to pick and choose amongst a number of excellent shots. That's one good thing about being a hack, we never have this problem....Laughing.gif

GREAT light!!

Thanks for sharing these and I'm happy you didn't get arrested :lol

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2005
    Why is that light from that window rare?

I just assumed that you could check the time for sunrise and wander in, take the shot, etc.

That is the way here at the creek, unless it is cloudy. Surely it did not stay cloudy in NYC for a year?

ginger headscratch.gif

Is it where the sun is in the sky at this time of year? You will have to put an alarm on your watch for Feb, date, time, etc.
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    4labs4labs Registered Users Posts: 2,089 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2005
    Great shots Andy! I am sure you live for "light" like this.. Thnxs for sharing..
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited February 18, 2005
    great shot Andy! Thanks for sharing. I've always found shots that involve people, obviously in motion, with long shadows, captured in time to be very provocative.

oh... I now know what KPOTD is, thanks to Ginger. Congratulations!
  • Options
    KhaosKhaos Registered Users Posts: 2,435 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2005
    Wow.

The first one is awesome.
  • Options
    edited February 18, 2005
    Cosmic wrote:
    I really like that first one Andy! What a neat effect it makes! thumb.gif The only thing is the washed out US Flag. But like you said, not much you could do without having to paste in a new part.

~Heidi~

thanks heidi :D very much.
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,199 moderator
    edited February 19, 2005
    andy wrote:
    probably not worth it, dunno. i'm going to experiment in the processing of these, i think i'm going to try and totally blow out the window, i was looking at it like that this morning, and it almost seemed "other-worldly." david_s85 will know what i mean here, and maybe even he can offer up some suggestions that will make it appear as if alien ships are landing on 42nd street and vanderbilt avenue lol3.gif

I'll take that comment as a compliment, Andy. There was a scene in an X-Files like that when the unseen ship.....

Aliens on 42nd Street? (wasn't that a movie?) Perhaps I'm thinking of http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0039628/

Aliens on 42nd Street. Like, how would one know the difference? Would the average NY'er, with their blinders on, walking fast to work, even stop to notice if there were aliens there? Does the naked cowboy even get 2nd glances by in-towners?

OK, ok. Hmmmmm. Copy aliens onto 42nd St.? A "photo" of what's going on from the other side of that big window. Now that sounds like a PS Challenge to me. I am often warned that I cannot use any of my actual photos from that place out west (the one that doesn't exist). That would be in violation of my many many signed NDA's. I'll have to look on the internet through all those "fake" shots.

Now... back to Andy's shot. I once read that a Photographer's Journal should include shot data of not only those taken, but those that need to be taken, or taken again. In other words, something like...

"N.Y. Feb. 18th, 8:12am. Good streaming light coming in south facing windows when sunny. Look into being there around same dates in following years. Good sun alignment. Busy foot traffic at that time of day also. Wide angle was best view. Set up by hallway. Filters might be helpful to bring with: 1) Polarizer. 2) Soft-focus 3) etc., etc."

Oh, and I think that the flag is quite salvageable.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2005
    Oh boy
    here is a link to the photo i'm talking about:
    http://www.nytimes.com/nytstore/photos/newyork/buildings/NSAPNY1.html

What a fantastic shot! Darn those buildings! What a shame! Oh well, modern progress, right?
  • Options
    NirNir Registered Users Posts: 1,400 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2005
    andy wrote:
    i came up from underground today, ...
    Why don't the light and photo opportunities follow ME around?!
    Great shots Andy! NY Times photo is incredible!

Nir Alon

images of my thoughts
  • Options
    edited February 22, 2005
    lynnma wrote:
    Wonderful shot Andy.. thats the picture I wanted to take but my crew would'nt let me get there... I need to come alone..Congratulations on Kodak potd as wellclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gif again... whats it now 9? or 10 clap.gif

thanks so much, lynnie! that was my 9th kpotd, i've been notified about number 10 but i have to wait a while before they show it :D
  • Options
    edited February 22, 2005
    Dee wrote:

dee, there are loads of buildings blocking the light :cry

thanks for looking, and commenting :D
  • Options
    edited February 23, 2005
    photographer's journal
    David_S85 wrote:
    aliens on 42nd street

no david, i don't think the avg nyer would even bat an eyelash until the death rays were beaming down from the flying saucers.

thanks for the chuckle (and the x-files reference!) i do like your humor :D

and thanks for the comment.

re: journal - i carry one everywhere, and my notes are very similar, except for the fact that i have as much to say about the scene/shoot as i do about nearby starbucks, rib joints, and other delicacies lol3.gif
  • Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2005
    Nir wrote:
    Why don't the light and photo opportunities follow ME around?!

because you aren't blessed? ne_nau.gif

:lol
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson