Options

Exploration of the Urban and Natural Varieties

coldclimbcoldclimb Registered Users Posts: 1,169 Major grins
edited October 2, 2007 in Journeys
Disclaimer: Any or all of these events may be completely fabricated, and perhaps nothing should be taken at face value. (Is there a "little angel" emoticon? :rofl) Of course if the mods deem this too adventuresome a journey, I'll be happy to take it down. :thumb

How many of the greatest adventures and legends in mankind's history are based on, caused by, or revolve around a girl? What can I say, you girls are alright. :D

Richard and I woke up this morning to a typical day, roused out of bed for a fire alarm which turned out to be a bad battery (change your batteries folks :thumb). Back at the apartment I fired up the computer and checked my e-mail, glancing over one from Liz. Liz is a former member of our fire department who moved this summer to another town, some 200 miles away. An all-around awesome friend and great person; one of those sorts whom you just don't want to let go of without a fight.

"We should go kidnap liz," I remark off-handedly.

And off we went.

Some 200 miles later and well into the afternoon we find her and steal her away. A couple of unfortunate complications occur relating to "job" and "boyfriend," so we're unable to make this kidnapping permanent, but we settle for a day of adventure instead, and we take off toward where Liz says she's heard there might be an abandoned building to explore. Doesn't sound too promising at first, especially in light of the LAST abandoned building we followed Liz to which turned out to be a bust, but it's a goal at least.

We park at the end of the road and wander off into uncharted territory packed thick with moose sign and animal trails. After a while of meandering in a general direction we finally come across what is indeed an abandoned structure, deep in the Alaskan woods. I don't have a clue what it used to be, so for the sake of adventure we'll call it a former insane asylum. :wink Liz grabs my hand as we slip quietly through the empty doorway into the mysterious darkness within, so I obligingly step in a hole in the floor, lurching over. She gasps. Some girls say I'm mean. :rofl

And then FINALLY I pull out my camera. I bet you thought I was never gonna get there! :rofl

A thoroughly abused Beetle sets the stage, in the heart of the largest room of the building.
sol01.jpg

We wandered through a lot of dark barren rooms before I noticed a ventilation duct overhead. And what little kid has never imagined exploring a ventilation duct? I followed the little kid in me through several rooms until the duct dropped down into a giant double-turbine blowing machine, where I was able to wiggle inside the massive fan through a small access hole. With some coaxing, Liz and Richard followed, handing the camera through as they came.

Someone already had this idea of course, and the way straight up into the duct-work is practically paved for us!
sol02.jpg

Liz follows me into a dead-end inside the ancient ventilation system.
sol04.jpg

We quickly exhausted our avenues of exploration indoors, and migrated to the roof by means of an open roof access port above some conveniently fun climbing, for myself, and a tree outside for the others.

Richard shot this of me. I like to look BACK on some of my decisions rather than ponder them beforehand. :rofl
sol05.jpg

Autumn advertising.
sol06.jpg

For some reason we just weren't getting her to do it. :rofl
sol07.jpg

A nice portrait of Liz in the fall colors.
sol08.jpg

After using up all possibilities for excitement on the roof, we pondered our descent for a bit. Ensuring my camera was packed away nicely I solved the problem by just jumping into the trees and floating gracefully to earth. Richard followed suit. Liz came down much more slowly.
sol09.jpg

We wandered on from there to the quiet shores of a small lake hidden in the woods, where we paused for a while to enjoy the evening light.
sol10.jpg

Liz and the lake. It's quiet here.
sol11.jpg

That done, we wandered back to the car, drove to town, said our goodbyes, and Richard and I drove home again. A day well spent, I say!

To wrap things up, Liz graces the camera with one last smile. :D
sol12.jpg

Hope you all enjoyed my day at least half as much as I did!
John Borland
www.morffed.com

Comments

• Options
    PrezwoodzPrezwoodz Registered Users Posts: 1,147 Major grins
    edited September 28, 2007
    Looks like a really fun day there John. I have been to Soldonta lots of times but never really stay in Soldotna. Always driving around and leaving! Walking the light is a nice pic. ;)
  • Options
    saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    Fun story I'm glad you shared it with us. I especially like the photo of the two of you sitting on the shore of the lake. So peaceful looking. She's a pretty girl, one worth not letting get away IMO. :D
  • Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    AWesome! What was he thinking about while he was on top of that lamp thing?
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    edited September 29, 2007
    AWesome! What was he thinking about while he was on top of that lamp thing?

Hehe... well I can't speak for Richard, but as for myself, I was thinking it's been far too long since I stepped out on anything high like that. When you get in the groove and nail the balance... it's just plain fun! :D

Saurora: That's actually Richard and Liz by the lake, but that's in the running for my favorite of the bunch too! I'm happy with that day's results. Thanks for looking and commenting. thumb.gif
    John Borland
    www.morffed.com
  • Options
    hamsterhamster Registered Users Posts: 361 Major grins
    edited September 30, 2007
    Nice shots! I love the fall colors. Is Richard really for sale? I'd like to put in an offer! iloveyou.gif
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2007
    I love your story and shots! And you are nuts for climbing out on that streetlamp. I hear that some folks on Dgrin think I'm crazy for climbing things but.... eek7.gif

:D
  • Options
    edited October 2, 2007
    Thanks Hamster and Schmooo! As for Richard, he's always happy to entertain offers. Heck, just look at him, he's got flirt written all over. rolleyes1.gif
    John Borland
    www.morffed.com