Options

Horses for Lynnesite

tmlphototmlphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,444 Major grins
edited February 24, 2005 in Holy Macro
I tried my hand at some equine photography today. My daughter has just started taking learning to ride. I found it quite challenging to get any good shots. Here are a couple that turned out ok.

Headshot:
16412960-L.jpg

Bareback dismount:
16412963-L.jpg
Thomas :D

TML Photography
tmlphoto.com

Comments

• Options
    NirNir Registered Users Posts: 1,400 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2005
    'Challenging'? They're great! Especially the headshot!

Nir Alon

images of my thoughts
  • Options
    lynnesitelynnesite Registered Users Posts: 747 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2005
    tmlphoto wrote:
    I tried my hand at some equine photography today. My daughter has just started taking learning to ride. I found it quite challenging to get any good shots. Here are a couple that turned out ok.

Nice, Thomas! Punch up that contrast a little bit. clap.gif He's got that thousand-mile stare we all love so much. Applause for being a great dad, wish my folks had supported my horse addiction. We have a support network for people like you (budding horse photographers)...

Lynne
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited February 24, 2005
    really great shots. punch up the contrast in #1 and make him jump off the page.

your little girl is adorable and her dismount is cute. too bad the wrangler is in the shot.
  • Options
    ShakeyShakey Registered Users Posts: 1,004 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2005
    Ditto on what Angelo saysthumb.gif

Tim
  • Options
    gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2005
    Excellent expression on the first shot, but I agree with Lynn that it needs punching up a touch!
  • Options
    edited February 24, 2005
    Thanks for commenting everyone. I agree with the need to increase contrast in #1. The lighting was very flat overcast and I added more contrast than usual in post, but it definetely needed more. This is as much as I dared add.
    16422222-L.jpg

Here is one that I am not so happy with. I needed a smaller aperture to get more DOF. I'm not totally happy with the framing either. This is the kind of shot that was very challenging for me. I took quite a few and really didn't get any keepers. Any tips?
    16422224-L.jpg

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com
  • Options
    gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2005
    tmlphoto wrote:
    Thanks for commenting everyone. I agree with the need to increase contrast in #1. The lighting was very flat overcast and I added more contrast than usual in post, but it definetely needed more. This is as much as I dared add.
    Thomas,
    I've found the shadows slider on the raw convertor to work well in situations like this ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited February 24, 2005
    gubbs wrote:
    Thomas,
    I've found the shadows slider on the raw convertor to work well in situations like this ne_nau.gif
    Good idea Gubbs. I'll go back to the RAW file again & see if I can get it any better.

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com