Options

More from Necedah NWR

Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
edited October 6, 2007 in Wildlife
Mostly because of the terrible light I had to work with, I didn't get any really good shots. Here are three I thought were interesting.

There are 22 birds in this shot. See Baldy back there conducting the orchestra?

203945185-L.jpg

One goose couldn't figure out that the sun rises in the east!

204063906-L.jpg

Necedah's claim to fame...the Whooping Crane. They raise them from chicks and a fellow with an ultra light aircraft shows them the way south. This spring all returned! They are very protective of these guys. This is as close as 300mm will get you.

204070666-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    PrescottPhotogPrescottPhotog Registered Users Posts: 1,174 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2007
    Ric Grupe wrote:
    Mostly because of the terrible light I had to work with, I didn't get any really good shots.

Hi Ric,
    Putting aside the dull days you had that looks like a good place to capture some great shots. I always love it when there is an eagle lurking around cause then you know it is a popular area (at least as far as the food chain is concerned).

Is it hard to get close to the birds. Are the areas roped off. The tall grass you show in your shots looks like what I have to deal with here.. all grass no cover.
    '
    Prescott Photog, Chris - " One Shot, One Still "
    '
    Canon CPS Member
    SmugMug Pro User - www.PrescottOutdoors.net
    NAPP Member..Click for Info
  • Options
    edited October 4, 2007
    Hi Ric,
    Putting aside the dull days you had that looks like a good place to capture some great shots. I always love it when there is an eagle lurking around cause then you know it is a popular area (at least as far as the food chain is concerned).

Is it hard to get close to the birds. Are the areas roped off. The tall grass you show in your shots looks like what I have to deal with here.. all grass no cover.

A dike road splits the marsh where I took these. Perfect sun rise or set. Your choice...open or cover. I may buy a cabin up there...there are several other areas near this one. All I needed was some light, I didn't get any.:cry

I still loved being there, though.:D

I will be going back at least one more time this fall. Colors were only 20% out while I was there.
  • Options
    dbaker1221dbaker1221 Registered Users Posts: 4,482 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2007
    good ones ric!thumb.gif
    **If I keep shooting, I'm bound to hit something**
    Dave
  • Options
    GiphsubGiphsub Registered Users Posts: 2,662 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2007
  • Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2007
    You did handled the lighting conditions very well. thumb.gif
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    leaforteleaforte Registered Users Posts: 1,948 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2007
    204063906-L.jpg

The static vertical lines of the swamp grass in your 'Facing Sunrise' picture, compared to the round lines of the geese, bring out the composition of the Geese. The haphazard lean of a few grass strands is cool, loners, and a great comparison to the one goose gazing in the opposite direction. As you mentioned, the one goose looking in the opposite direction adds a storyline to the composition. The viewer (me, in this case) gets to have fun with the character of the oddball. And it was fun. The four geese on the left could easily be percieved as unbalancing the photo, but contrary, they are the perfect balance to the single goose on the right, and it totally works. The darkness that is the collected stocks of grass meeting at the waters edge in each grass pod, are a great match to the darkness at the center of the Geese bodies. In another photograph I may want to see more detail in the Geese, but the exposure of the grass, and darker centers, make it all feel right. The reflections of the Geese on the water, with their lateral lines are a nice contrast to the vertical lines of the grass. My reaction to this photo is that I feel the sunrise, and that quiet, solitude, found in wetlands at sunrise. I believe the photographer did a super job capturing that moment they saw, and thanks for sharing it with me. Just my thoughts. Thanks for letting me practice my critiqueing on this great photograph.
    Growing with Dgrin

• Options
    edited October 5, 2007
    dbaker1221 wrote:
    good ones ric!thumb.gif

Thanks, Dave. :D
  • Options
    riddim_makerriddim_maker Registered Users Posts: 1,835 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2007
    You did manage to capture some winners even on an overcast day
    especially #2 clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
    Russ
  • Options
    BigAlBigAl Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2007
    Bad light (and weather) is always a bummer when you make the effort to go out to take pics. I really like the dramatic effect the poor light gave in #2 thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited October 6, 2007
    Giphsub wrote:
    Nice ones! But I count 23... :D

Thanks. :D