Options

Carrying a Tripod/Monopod in NYC

MooreDrivenMooreDriven Registered Users Posts: 260 Major grins
I'll be traveling with the family to NYC in a few weeks and plan to stop at B&H to check out the tripods and monopods (and other stuff). I've researched online until I'm blue in the face and decided to wait and purchase one at B&H. I'm 6'4" so I want to get my hands on one and get a better idea what will work best for me.

How realistic is it to carry a tripod/monopod around the city?

Obviously there are pro's and con's to both. I'm thinking a tripod will be a bit more cumbersom, but a mono more limiting. We'll be seeing all of the tourist spots, walking a lot, taking cabs, riding the subway, etc.. I would prefer a compact tripod so I can pack it for future trips, but I'm unsure if they make one tall enough. The monopod is a viable option for almost everything except long exposures.

I'm not sure if there are restrictions on where you can use them. For example, we plan to see a play on Broadway. I would like to take a few shots inside, but unsure if I can even take in a camera, much less a tri/monopod. Any feedback would be helpful.

I have read that backpacks are not allowed for the Statue of Liberty/Ellis Island tour. I just puchased a Tamrac Adventure 7, so I'll have to leave it in the room that day. I'm not sure about tri/monopods.

I appreciate any feedback or suggestions.

Comments

• Options
    thegridrunnerthegridrunner Registered Users Posts: 235 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2007
    Well, in busy areas like Time Square, the police don't allow tripods. It is considered a tripping hazard on busy sidewalks. Monopods are iffy, sometimes they do, sometimes they don't but mostly they do.
    I just brought the Manfrotto #680B monopod (60") with a Manfrotto #486RC2 tilting ball head quick release mount (4"). I love it, the thing works like a charm, is stable and secure. But I would say that it is good for someone about 72" tall or shorter so it may be a little short for you. Manfrotto make a monopod thats a little longer which should be prefect for you. You will see it at B&H Photo when you go there.
  • Options
    joeynickjoeynick Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited August 13, 2007
    I echo everything thegridrunner said.

However, you can get away with a tripod in the early morning or at night, as long as you aren't causing a hazard. It's discretionary for the police so use common sense.

Be wary of taking pictures in the subway, too. The Transit Authority has had no photography rules, on and off, over the past 20+ years. Shooting a flash into the motorman's face while he's pulling into the station will get you into a lot of trouble but a casual shot near a staircase usually doesn't gather much attention.

Many museums also don't allow photography and the ones that do generally frown on tripods and monopods. Most of them also frown on ANY backpack so be prepared to leave it behind.

Broadway shows generally don't allow pictures so expect that, too.
  • Options
    edited August 14, 2007
    I appreciate the replies and information joeynick and thegridrunner.

Sounds like I don't need to worry about carrying either around, at least most of the time. Fortunately, I have a VR lens, so I should be fine for 90+% of my shots.

I must say that I'm a bit dissapointed about the restriction of backpacks. Especially for the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island tours.

Again, thanks for the info. I'm excited about the vacation and opportunity to take a lot photo's!wings.gif
  • Options
    edited August 27, 2007
    I thought I would provide an answer to my own question now that I've returned from NYC. The answer, at least for me, is that I would not recommend carrying a tripod or monopod in the city. I sure could have used one for many of the shots I took hand-held, but logistically it would have been a nightmare. Especially during the busy summer season.

I did purchase a new tripod at B&H. Being able to get my hands on every model made my choice a lot easier. I ended up spending more than I had intend, and purchased a heavier tripod than planned. I purchased the Manfrotto 055XPROB with 488RC2.

I want to clarify one comment I made above regarding backpacks at the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island. You can bring backpacks with you, however, they are only restricted inside the Statue of Liberty. You have to make reservations in advance to go inside. Otherwise, backpacks are allowed on the ferry and both islands.

Dale
  • Options
    sirsloopsirsloop Registered Users Posts: 866 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2007
    If you simply want to buy and walk around with a tripod there's no problem. There's people walking around with all sorts of crap all day. I go into the city with like 10 1U rack mount servers and cart them around a few blocks. Thats way more cumbersome than a tripod. As far as using them... like others mentioned the police may tell you to not use a tripod. If you are real real quick you may be able to setup your shot, pop out the tripod, and get your photo before the cops see you. Fair warning they are all over the place in times square. Don't expect anyone to move for you and don't expect anyone to really care if they are walking infront of you.
  • Options
    klnycklnyc Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited September 20, 2007
    I work only 2 blocks from the smack down of TS 42nd st. You can take pics early in the morning like 6am, after that is chaos.. Forget about the evening shots, I wont do it atleast past 2am.
    Obtw, this was my 1st post and Hellloooo ya!!
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    klnyc wrote:
    I work only 2 blocks from the smack down of TS 42nd st. You can take pics early in the morning like 6am, after that is chaos.. Forget about the evening shots, I wont do it atleast past 2am.

Welcome to dGrin wave.gif

check out my signature for some direction and also please visit:
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    klnyc wrote:

Welcome to dGrin wave.gif

check out my signature for some direction and also please visit:

http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=41933

to introduce yourself to the whole grinner family.
  • Options
    cpagilitycpagility Registered Users Posts: 82 Big grins
    edited October 7, 2007
    Nyc
    Hi - I'm heading to NYC October 15-19 and will be staying in a hotel on Time Square and another about 2 miles away near Central Park. I have a Canon 30D with various lenses. Any suggestions on equipment or where and what to shoot?

I've never been to NYC and I'm very excited!

Karen
  • Options
    edited October 7, 2007
    Karen,

Having just returned from my first trip, I will give you a few of my favorite locations. I'm sure others will provide you with some additional information as well.

1. Grand Central Station. It's very interesting to see so many people traveling from one location to another. It's one of those photo's I look back on knowing it's been taken thousands of times, but now I have one of my own.
    2. Central Park. This was a personal favorite. After a week of crowded streets, taxi's, subways, etc., Central Park will be a shock to the system with many places to take some good shots.
    3. Ellis Island/Statue of Liberty. Again, another icon that is fun not only to visit, but good to photograph. Ellis Island can be a challenge to shoot, but there are plenty of places to capture some good shots.
    4. China Town, Little Italy, and SOHO all have interesting spots.

I guess my list is more than just a few locations, but one place I would recommend you avoid is the Empire State building. Instead, go to Top of the Rock at Rockefeller Plaza. I opted for the ESB and regretted it.

The one photograph I had hoped to take was a night shot of the skyline with Brooklyn Bridge in the foreground. I ran out of time. Trust me, it's not a hard thing to do in NYC.

Have a great time, and post some shots when you get back. Here are a few of my favorites.

Grand Central Station:
    191677262-S.jpg

Lady Liberty:
    191666257-S.jpg

Central Park:
    191668680-S.jpg

Unfortunately, it was very overcast and rainy every day we were there. Hopefully you have good weather.

Have fun!!

Dale
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2007
    Just about anywhere really, there are so many surprising finds in NYC. I also enjoy walking around the upper east side and photographing some of the homes, doors and other finds along the relatively quiet streets. Basically go to central park and the museums, and head to the East River, can't miss them.

NYU area is interesting as well, plus Times Square at nite is a challenge.

I walk the city often with my monopod and backpack, without any trouble. I do carry my camera off the monopod, and if I am traveling far, I put my camera in the backpack. But I keep the monopod in hand. The Monfrotto 680B makes an imposing defensive 'weapon' mwink.gif