Options

My First MAJOR Event shoot!!!

Pixel PopperPixel Popper Registered Users Posts: 280 Major grins
edited October 9, 2007 in Other Cool Shots
Until recently, I was employed by a company that does production and special event lighting for major events in and around the Washington, D.C. area. Now that I no longer work there, I actually have the time to attend these events strictly as a photographer.

I'm still close with a number of designers at the firm, so I asked if I could come and shoot an event, for free, after which I would provide them with the images that they could use to help promote their business, and in exchange, I could get some great images to diversify my portfolio to help my fledgeling business along.

The event I got to shoot was for an organization called Charity Works, which took place at the National Building Museum in Washington, D.C.. If you've never seen it, it is an incredible space with a 120 foot atrium than spans the entire building; just perfect for major events.

I shot in two phases. The first was simply shooting the set up of the gig, mainly to capture the work flow of putting it all together, and the second phase was the following evening, capturing the live event.

Here are just a few examples of the work, but please visit my galleries to see the entire collection.

For the set up shots, click here.

For the live event shots, click here.

I would also add that I am very new to this type of work, so please, give me as much critical feedback as you can. My aim is to get better at this, and your commentary is extraordinarily useful.

One last thing. My former employers, after seeing these images I did for free, now want me to shoot many more of their events, and also write articles about them for submission to Industry Magazines, FOR PAY!!! Needless to say, I am thrilled. And now the images...

_DSC0113.JPG

_DSC0137.JPG

_DSC0116.JPG

_DSC0095.JPG

_DSC0147.JPG

_DSC0152.JPG

DSC_0043.JPG

DSC_0010.JPG

DSC_0088.JPG

DSC_0211.JPG

DSC_0144.JPG

DSC_0236.JPG

DSC_0232.JPG

DSC_0163.JPG

DSC_0201.JPG

DSC_0237.JPG

DSC_0093.JPG

Comments

• Options
    photocatphotocat Registered Users Posts: 1,334 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2007
    One last thing. My former employers, after seeing these images I did for free, now want me to shoot many more of their events, and also write articles about them for submission to Industry Magazines, FOR PAY!!! Needless to say, I am thrilled. And now the images...

Great shots, I mean GREAT shots... Have nothing to add... Wonderful colors, good composition, (like the one with the tables in a ladder!) - I bet your bosses are thrilled with them. Keep up the good work!
  • Options
    edited October 1, 2007
    Thank you so much, Photocat! This was a real challenge for me, as I've never had to shoot in a situation where I had to deal with such deeply saturated colors of light, behind very dimly lit subjects. And since I was shooting for a lighting company, it was important that the backgrounds didn't fade into black.

The formula that I found to work best for me in that space was to shoot in manual mode, ISO 800 to 1200, aperture wide open, with a flash, and shutter speed around 1/15 to 1/25. The flash would freeze the action, and the slower shutter speed allowed for the ambient light to fill in behind.

I'm so glad you enjoyed the images. Thanks, again!

-Howard
  • Options
    nicoleshillidaynicoleshilliday Registered Users Posts: 549 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2007
    Love #3. Made me think!

These are some great shots. The room looks fantastic in the pictures.
    Nicole
    D3, and other Nikon goodies
    Shilliday Photography
    Blog
    Facebook
  • Options
    edited October 2, 2007
    Love #3. Made me think!

These are some great shots. The room looks fantastic in the pictures.

Thank you! Lots of my friends have had similar comments about that shot.
  • Options
    PineapplePhotoPineapplePhoto Registered Users Posts: 474 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2007
    Wow... #2 gave me vertigo! and I am (was) not afraid of heights. eek7.gif
    Body: Canon 1D Mark II N | Canon 30D w/BG-E2 Flash: Canon 580EX II | Quantum T4d | Strobes & Monolights
    Glass: Sigma 70-200 f2.8 | Sigma 20 f1.8 | Canon 28-135 f3.5-5.6 IS USM
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,824 moderator
    edited October 2, 2007
    Wow! thumb.gifclap

What a wonderful way to leverage what you know, and "who" you know, along with your skills as a photographer, to capture an event, and to create a position that didn't previously exist. A tremendous success story!

Good work!
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited October 2, 2007
    Wow... #2 gave me vertigo! and I am (was) not afraid of heights. eek7.gif

No doubt!!! I got a little queasy trying to get that shot, as well. The top "floor" of that building is nothing more than a very narrow ledge with a thin rail that tenuously clings to the upper perimiter of the space. I'm glad I got the shot, but I was OH so happy to climb down from there!
  • Options
    edited October 2, 2007
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Wow! thumb.gifclap

What a wonderful way to leverage what you know, and "who" you know, along with your skills as a photographer, to capture an event, and to create a position that didn't previously exist. A tremendous success story!

Good work!

Thanks, Ziggy! Yep, it kinda' seems like the "perfect storm" of events that made everything fall into place here. I was not happy to be suddenly and unexpectedly unemployed, but after just a short while, I am starting to realize it might have been the best thing that could have happened to me. While I was there shooting candids, the Chief Executive Officer of Washington Life Magazine asked me to shoot some photos of VIPs in attendance, and now they are going to be printed in his publication!!! There were also a number of other folks who wanted to "chimp" my pics after they realized I had taken their photo, and some of these are leading to more work for me.

Tonight and tomorrow, I am shooting another major event at the German Embassy in D.C., and now I have a couple of other event companies that want to talk to me about shooting for them.

Wow. For years, there was nothing, then one night's work generates so much more. Couldn't be happier! wings.gif Thanks for the encouraging words. :D
  • Options
    DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2007
    Congratulations on the serendipity!

I'm glad it's all falling together for you. Best of luck and I hope it continues. I love to hear success stories.
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2007
    WOW! I am impressed and jealous. Way to make lemonade out of lemons!

I think all of us secretly (or maybe not-so-secretly) dream of the day when such a thing could happen - to somehow integrate photography and employment in such a way as to incorporate environments that we already know.

I hope to see and hear more from you about these experiences!
  • Options
    edited October 2, 2007
    schmooo wrote:
    WOW! I am impressed and jealous. Way to make lemonade out of lemons!

I think all of us secretly (or maybe not-so-secretly) dream of the day when such a thing could happen - to somehow integrate photography and employment in such a way as to incorporate environments that we already know.

I hope to see and hear more from you about these experiences!

Thanks, Steph! But don't be jealous. You're a local girl, right? I'd be more than happy to get you access to these places if you want to come and shoot.

BTW, how was the shoot-out in the mountains?
  • Options
    DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2007
    Sweet fortune. Amazing what can happen if one just knocks on the door.
    Then another, and another, and another.... mwink.gif

Really nice series of shots. Well done. thumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gif
    Michael
  • Options
    DesertRatDesertRat Registered Users Posts: 111 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2007
    I absolutely love #8!clap.gif It perfectly shows the animation that exists around a table with a still photo.

Mike
    Looking for adventure in all the wrong places!
  • Options
    edited October 3, 2007
    Dee wrote:
    Congratulations on the serendipity!

I'm glad it's all falling together for you. Best of luck and I hope it continues. I love to hear success stories.

Thank you very much, Dee. I'm trying not to get too full of myself over this turn of events. Wasn't it Steven Wright who said, "When everything in life is coming your way... You're in the wrong lane!" :D

Not that I think I am. Just trying to remain humble.

Cheers! beer.gif
  • Options
    edited October 3, 2007
    DaddyO wrote:
    Sweet fortune. Amazing what can happen if one just knocks on the door.
    Then another, and another, and another.... mwink.gif

Really nice series of shots. Well done. thumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gif

Many thanks, DaddyO! You're so kind to take a look. :D
  • Options
    edited October 3, 2007
    DesertRat wrote:
    I absolutely love #8!clap.gif It perfectly shows the animation that exists around a table with a still photo.

Mike

Hey, DesertRat!

Thanks so much for the comment and the compliment. You know, when I saw the result of that shot, I was instantly pleased. Even though it doesn't really showcase the lighting, it has quickly become a favorite of the designer, as well.

Thanks for taking notice. :D
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2007
    Thanks, Steph! But don't be jealous. You're a local girl, right? I'd be more than happy to get you access to these places if you want to come and shoot.

BTW, how was the shoot-out in the mountains?

That would be cool - if I ever get the time! The mountains (and Dgrinners) were great, but now the busy-ness of Real Life is hitting me full force. :cry
  • Options
    edited October 7, 2007
    It looks like I'll be back in this same building again on Wednesday to shoot a completely different show for a different company. Glad I got the practice run in! I'll also be purchasing some faster glass before the event which should help a lot in the low light situations. Thanks again, everyone, for all your comments. I'll post this week's shots if any of them are worthy of a look-see.

-Howard
  • Options
    HauerHauer Registered Users Posts: 550 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2007
    Nice series, Pixel Popper! Had I been there myself, I would have opted for sitting at the table as featured in shot 8 (forward table). Looks like it was great event...

Cheers - Herman
    My motto: To learn more today, than I knew yesterday!

Nikon gear & some lenses.
  • Options
    leaforteleaforte Registered Users Posts: 1,948 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2007
    Truly a Gala!
    Growing with Dgrin

• Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2007
    Fantastic photos ! clap.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    edited October 9, 2007
    Nice series, Pixel Popper! Had I been there myself, I would have opted for sitting at the table as featured in shot 8 (forward table). Looks like it was great event...

Cheers - Herman

Thanks, Herman. Yup, that was a table of beauties, alright. Too bad I didn't think of going back to get some shots of them without the artistic motion blur. But then again, that would have removed all the mystery.:D
  • Options
    edited October 9, 2007
    leaforte wrote:
    Truly a Gala!

Indeed. They have some blow-out gatherings in that space, night after night. From what I understand, it costs $50,000 USD per night to rent that room. You have to REALLY want to throw an impressive party to go that far!
  • Options
    edited October 9, 2007
    Fantastic photos ! clap.gif

Thanks, Awais. I haven't seen you posting for a little while. Good to see you back in the game! :D