Options

Dragging the flash

ccpickreccpickre Registered Users Posts: 385 Major grins
edited May 11, 2008 in Technique
So, I've been wanting to master the technique of using a slow shutter speed and getting the flash to flash at the end, so that you get all that blur but you get a vivd frozen pic as well.

but whenever I do that, it's all just one big blur (as if the flash didn't go off) or it's just a ghost.

Are there specific settings to use? Are some shutter speeds better (ie: 1/5 sec or 5 sec)? Do you need magic fingers?

Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici

Comments

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited October 8, 2007
    Hi Chris,

You need a shutter speed in the range of 1/8th to 1/30th I think, and an EOS external flash ( not the one built in your camera ) that is set to second curtain shutter synch. Set your camera to Manual Mode.

On your 430ex, the second button from the right on the upper row of buttons controls High Speed Synch, and 2nd curtain shutter. Press that button and the flash will cycle from normal mode, to High Speed Synch, and then on to 2nd curtain shutter. That is what you want.

Now when you trip the shutter, the focal plane shutter will open, and the flash will not fire until the end of the exposure and then fire just before the shutter closes.

Bingo - now you have a blurred car in motion with the headlight streaming forth in the right direction.

Let me know if this helps.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited October 8, 2007
    pathfinder wrote:
    Hi Chris,

You need a shutter speed in the range of 1/8th to 1/30th I think, and an EOS external flash ( not the one built in your camera ) that is set to second curtain shutter synch. Set your camera to Manual Mode.

On your 430ex, the second button from the right on the upper row of buttons controls High Speed Synch, and 2nd curtain shutter. Press that button and the flash will cycle from normal mode, to High Speed Synch, and then on to 2nd curtain shutter. That is what you want.

Now when you trip the shutter, the focal plane shutter will open, and the flash will not fire until the end of the exposure and then fire just before the shutter closes.

Bingo - now you have a blurred car in motion with the headlight streaming forth in the right direction.

Well, I knew all that :D I meant I can't get the ending part to be captured. They come out all ghosting
  • Options
    rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2007
    ccpickre wrote:
    Well, I knew all that :D I meant I can't get the ending part to be captured. They come out all ghosting

Can you post a pic so that we can see?
    Randy
  • Options
    edited October 9, 2007
    ccpickre wrote:

lol3.giflol3.giflol3.gif

Was is dark enough to really need some flash?

• Options
    edited October 9, 2007
    pathfinder wrote:
    lol3.giflol3.giflol3.gif

Was is dark enough to really need some flash?
    Well, I was shooting between 1/160 and 1/100, f2.8 and ISO 800 (I learned to avoid 1600 unless absolutely necessary.

The event was a bunch of people dancing.

206153379-L.jpg
  • Options
    jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2007
    pathfinder wrote:
    Hi Chris,

Not quite right....

The built in pop up flash on your XTi can be operated in @nd curtain synch also. It is hidden in the custom functions. I use the 580EX now, but have used 2nd curtain successfully before with the pop up. It does require a shutter of preferably 1/30 or 1/40 and slower. You can then play with Flash Exposure Compensation...FEC...to control how bright that last pop is over your ghosts. I have an example of a panning shot I caught at a basketball game that earned me 2nd in a challenge at another forum. I used the pop up flash and a monopod. It isnt a great example, but was a giant leap for me at the time. Good luck!!!

large.jpg

Hope it helps!!!
  • Options
    jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2007
    ccpickre wrote:
    Well, I was shooting between 1/160 and 1/100, f2.8 and ISO 800 (I learned to avoid 1600 unless absolutely necessary.

The event was a bunch of people dancing.

206153379-L.jpg

Try a smaller aperature, and lower ISO. You will have to get the SS down to make it work.
  • Options
    edited October 9, 2007
    I think you needed a bit longer shutter speed - the image looks under exposed abit and that is controlled by shutter speed. The flash needed a bit more oomph, too. Move the flash closer since you were at f2.8 already, perhaps?

Looks like a good start for 2ned curtain though. Dancing in a club would be a good place for 2nd curtain synch I would think. Good idea!!

I sse Jeffreaux caught me in the custom function menu. I did not realize that 2nd curtain could be done with the built in flash off the top of my head , but I seem to remember that now:D :D:D

Thanx Jeffreaux.

• Options
    edited October 9, 2007
    I avoid my on board flash anyway :)

Yeah, that picture was 1/13 sec, at f13, and 800 ISO? And my flash was probably 1/32 or 1/16
  • Options
    ZanottiZanotti Registered Users Posts: 1,411 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2008
    In McNally's book, "The Moment it Clicks" he says to always stay in second curtain sync, because it adds a lot at low shutter speeds and doesnt matter at 1/250.

My question is: Is this a camera adjustment by C.Fn. or a flash adjustment, using the buttons on the rear?

Is is a seperate flash trick only, or can it be done with the build in?

I shoot a 30D and 580Ex if that matters.

Z
    It is the purpose of life that each of us strives to become actually what he is potentially. We should be obsessed with stretching towards that goal through the world we inhabit.
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,853 moderator
    edited May 9, 2008
    Zanotti wrote:
    In McNally's book, "The Moment it Clicks" he says to always stay in second curtain sync, because it adds a lot at low shutter speeds and doesnt matter at 1/250.

My question is: Is this a camera adjustment by C.Fn. or a flash adjustment, using the buttons on the rear?

Is is a seperate flash trick only, or can it be done with the build in?

I shoot a 30D and 580Ex if that matters.

Z

I believe you have to choose second curtain flash from the custom function #15 in the Canon 30D camera.

I believe both internal and external flash are affected by the change.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,931 moderator
    edited May 9, 2008
    ziggy53 wrote:
    I believe you have to choose second curtain flash from the custom function #15 in the Canon 30D camera.

I believe both internal and external flash are affected by the change.

You can also set it with a button on the 580EX.
  • Options
    edited May 11, 2008
    I don't even remember what photo I was referring to now :D