Options

Opening RAW (CR2) files in PHOTOSHOP CS???

christiechristie Registered Users Posts: 31 Big grins
edited October 12, 2007 in Finishing School
I just upgraded from a Rebel to a 30D. I shoot in Raw and have Photoshop CS on a MAC.

My Rebel saved my RAW files as CRW and I just had to open Phototshop, click on Browse and I'd see all of my raw files there and could edit the white balance, exposure etc and when I was done, clicked OK and the file was imported into "regular" photoshop.

My 30D saves RAW images as CR2 files and when I go to photoshop it can't open them!!

What do you do? I don't want to use their software the camera came with because that will add a lot of time to my workflow.

I am freaking out about this just thinking of the extra hours this is going to be as I edit photos not being able to just stay in photoshop sad.gif

Thanks so much!!!

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,848 moderator
    edited October 10, 2007
    An upgrade to PSCS2 or PSCS3 is your best real solution (or LightRoom).

Anything else would require an intermediate file format and extra step.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    CatOneCatOne Registered Users Posts: 957 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2007
    You need to upgrade. The RAW converter that comes with Photoshop CS doesn't support the 30D RAW files. You need at least CS2 -- but at this point I'd recommend CS3 :-)

Once a newer version of Photoshop ships, Adobe stops adding new RAW support to their older Camera Raw versions.
  • Options
    geezergeezer Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited October 10, 2007
    Convert the 30D RAW files (CR2) to DNG using the latest converter (4.2), then open in CS. An extra step, yes, but free. Though I would upgrade to CS3 if you can.
  • Options
    BinaryFxBinaryFx Registered Users Posts: 707 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2007
    geezer wrote:
    Convert the 30D RAW files (CR2) to DNG using the latest converter (4.2), then open in CS. An extra step, yes, but free. Though I would upgrade to CS3 if you can.

Have you tried this Geezer? In my experience, DNG will only work if the original camera model/format is supported - although I would like DNG to be the holy grail of raw camera formats, it appears that one still needs the latest version of Photohsop for an unsupported camera, whether or not the file format is the camera format or DNG.

At least it is free and easy to test if this will work for the original poster.

DNG should be a 'rosetta stone' that any version of ACR can open, but this is not the case (otherwise some would never upgrade, so I guess that Adobe give users an incentive to upgrade).

Stephen Marsh.
    http://members.ozemail.com.au/~binaryfx/
  • Options
    claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2007
    Of course another solution is a different converter that the developers maintain & add current camera models to. Adobe is obviously using ACR as a stick to force people to pay for the PS upgrades.
  • Options
    edited October 11, 2007
    Of course another solution is a different converter that the developers maintain & add current camera models to. Adobe is obviously using ACR as a stick to force people to pay for the PS upgrades.

Yep. You pay to play. Factor another $199 into the price of that new camera you get every 3 years, to pay for the Photoshop upgrade to read the files.

That is, unless you LIKE the built-in software :-)

LR is currently "current" so it will decode the RAW files. As will Aperture (well, save the 40D right now).
  • Options
    claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2007
    There's lots of other options. My copy of Bibble supports the 1D Mk III--and I last paid for it when my 20D was the new hotness. It's mainly Adobe that uses new gear churning as a revenue stream. :nah There are viable options other than Adobe or Canon for working with your RAW files.
  • Options
    edited October 12, 2007
    There's lots of other options. My copy of Bibble supports the 1D Mk III--and I last paid for it when my 20D was the new hotness. It's mainly Adobe that uses new gear churning as a revenue stream. :nah There are viable options other than Adobe or Canon for working with your RAW files.

True. But the workflow eats balls.

Er, did I say that?
    rolleyes1.gif