Options

Question: What *ONE* lens for weddings

Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
edited October 13, 2007 in Cameras
In another thread, I was asked the following. I figured that it was better to move the discussion from the People forum to someplace where it might have better reception and where others could chime in with their more expert opinion.
Hey Scott,

One more set of questions, if you don't mind. I know you have a number of lenses in your bag of tricks, but which are the work-horses of your day when shooting weddings? I am going to make a purchase in the next week or two, and I was wondering, if you had to choose only one or two lenses for your entire coverage, which ones would you bring to the event?

Thanks,

-Howard
Hmm. Having to shoot a wedding next month I will second his questions. I've been doing a ton of research in my spare time to narrow my choices down but I'm not coming up with anything and would love to hear recommendations from someone who does it pro.
I shoot with the 20D and 30D (I have two bodies).

If I were limited on to only one lens that lens would have to be the EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS. No question on this one. I shoot, probably, 90% of my photos with that lens.
  • It has a good, solid (but not "L" class) build.
  • The optics are, IMHO, "L" class.
  • The IS is about as good as it gets.
  • The aperture is a constant f/2.8.
  • Focus is fast and accurate.

However, it's not perfect. It's not weather sealed and, because it extends when zooming, it does tend to draw some dust into the barrel. I have some small dust specks just behind the objective element. I'm guessing that I will have to send it to Cannon to get it cleaned.

If I were allowed a second, it would be the EF 70-200 f/2.8 IS. This is good for the distance shots, some portraits (though it does tend to be a little long for most groups), and for what I call "sniper shots".

Anyone else care to add quality to this thread?

Comments

• Options
    sirsloopsirsloop Registered Users Posts: 866 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2007
    I'd be using a 24-70/2.8L but that 17-55IS isnt a bad choice either....
  • Options
    edited October 9, 2007
    I find that I shoot a lot at the wide end of my 17-55. There are times when I would like a little longer reach. For those instances, the perfect lens would be the EF 17-70 f/2.8L IS :D

To bad there isn't one!
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited October 9, 2007
    For shooting weddings professionally, don't you need a second body???? As backup at least? I would be nervous if I absolutely was dependent on only one body, but that may be just me.

For APS sensored cameras like the new 40D - A 17-40 L on one, and a Sigma 50-150 f2.8 would work pretty nice. I have always felt the 70-200 zooms worked well on full frame bodies, but are just too long for indoors work, that is why I suggested considering the SIgma 50-150 f2.8ne_nau.gif

The Canon 17-40 L is a great lens - but it is not f2.8, so for very dim work, it might not be as good as a 24-70 f2.8 L

Most Full frame shooters will chose the 24-70 f2.8 L and the 70-200 f2.8 IS L I suspect. A fast 85mm is a great lens to use also.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited October 9, 2007
    If you are shooting weddings there's a real good chance you'll have two bodies :D
  • Options
    cwphotoscwphotos Registered Users Posts: 763 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2007
    My lens of choice at weddings is my 17-40 L and my long lens is a 70-200 f/2.8IS

They both work very well. I plan to sell the 17-40 soon to afford the 16-35 mk2. I want that 2.8 fstop
    ====My Gear=====
    Canon 5D Mk.2/Grip || Canon 7D Backup
    17-40 f/4L || 70-200 f/2.8L IS || 100mm f/2.8L Macro || 24-70mm f/2.8L
    Wedding Photographer
    www.cwphotos.net
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,852 moderator
    edited October 9, 2007
    With the Canon 1D MKII body, 1.3x crop, I tend to use the Canon EF 28-80mm, f2.8-f4L, which would now be the Canon Canon EF 24-70mm, f/2.8L.

When I have the luxury of a shooting assistant, they get a Canon XT/350D with a Sigma 18-50mm, f/2.8 EX DC. The Sigma does tend to miss focus a bit more than the Canon "L" lenses I use, but it's still quite good.

A local pro, who no longer does weddings, loves her Canon 5D with a Canon EF 24-105mm, f/4L for event work. She gets very nice results with that combination.

Another local pro, who also uses a 1D MKII, relies on the Canon EF 28-135mm, f/3.5-5.6 IS USM to do pretty much everything at the wedding and reception. (I am not a big fan of this lens because it lacks contrast and that "snap" that most "L" lenses have.) He is the highest paid and most successful photographer in the area, so it's hard to knock his technique.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2007
    Thanks for all the great suggestions Scott, everybody! I have been doing search after search but my head was truly spinning, and I was afraid to post my own thread in here because I figured someone had asked it already and I just wasn't finding it. ne_nau.gif

I think I had been resigned to just bringing my own existing gear and (in the words of Tim Gunn) "making it work."

But I have a decent idea of what to put on both camera bodies, now. Something fast and adapatable, and something long. Hmmm.
  • Options
    z_28z_28 Registered Users Posts: 956 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2007
    For few years I used at weddings just one set:
    24-70/2.8L
    and
    70-200/2.8L

later I added 16/2.8 and 50/1.8

Actual set is different and contain:
    16-35/2.8L
    and
    85/1.2L II

+ 50/1.8 in a bag

Future set will be different again mwink.gif
    D300, D70s, 10.5/2.8, 17-55/2.8, 24-85/2.8-4, 50/1.4, 70-200VR, 70-300VR, 60/2.8, SB800, SB80DX, SD8A, MB-D10 ...
    XTi, G9, 16-35/2.8L, 100-300USM, 70-200/4L, 19-35, 580EX II, CP-E3, 500/8 ...
    DSC-R1, HFL-F32X ... ; AG-DVX100B and stuff ... (I like this 10 years old signature :^)
  • Options
    edited October 9, 2007
    The guys that shot my wedding recently were using sigma 24-70/2.8's on 30D's...
  • Options
    esc2476esc2476 Registered Users Posts: 354 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2007
    I am in the process of hiring a wedding photographer for my wedding, which will be in Nashville. I always want to ask what they shoot with but I am too chicken.
  • Options
    edited October 9, 2007
    Definitly ask them... you'll find out really quick if they know what the hell they are talking about or not.
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,852 moderator
    edited October 9, 2007
    esc2476 wrote:
    I am in the process of hiring a wedding photographer for my wedding, which will be in Nashville. I always want to ask what they shoot with but I am too chicken.

You have every right to ask (for):

Experience
    Equipment questions
    References
    Sample images
    Technique and Style of photography
    Pricing policies
    Image Ownership

If you don't ask these things up front, you may get an unwelcome surprise afterwards. It is your money and your decision who to hire. Choose wisely.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    esc2476esc2476 Registered Users Posts: 354 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2007
    Valid points guys-thanks.

I have spent a lot of time online looking at their portfolios.

Asking a few other questions can't hurt.
  • Options
    edited October 9, 2007
    ziggy53 wrote:
    You have every right to ask (for):

Experience
    Equipment questions
    References
    Sample images
    Technique and Style of photography
    Pricing policies
    Image Ownership

If you don't ask these things up front, you may get an unwelcome surprise afterwards. It is your money and your decision who to hire. Choose wisely.
    As a wedding photographer, I look for these kinds of questions. It gives me a good idea whether or not the potential client is really interested in the photos and if my "style" (if I have one) will meet their expectations. If the client is limp on these sorts of details, it's a pretty good clue that there is trouble looming on the horizon.

Another way to look at it is this - would you not ask similar types of questions when you are looking to make any sort of significant purchase? You need to know, up-front, what it is you are buying.
  • Options
    jdryan3jdryan3 Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2007
    pathfinder wrote:
    Most Full frame shooters will chose the 24-70 f2.8 L and the 70-200 f2.8 IS L I suspect. A fast 85mm is a great lens to use also.

I'm not a professional wedding photographer, but I have a 5D and those are the 2 lenses I take everywhere. plus my 1.4x since it is so small. Depending upon what I am shooting I may take a wide angle 19-35, fast plastic 50 or 100.
    "Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to. Oh well."
    -Fleetwood Mac
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2007
    shot for years using a Vivatar 70-210 f2.8-4.....my siggy 70-210 f2.8 is still my main lens...my 24-70 f2.8 only seems to come out for the wide shots......guess I just trained myself to be secure with just one lens, but almost always had a 2nd body in the bag (35mm)................
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2007
    You said it yourself
    17-55/2.8 IS and, since you really not supposed to shoot a wedding with one body only, 70-200/2.8 IS.
    You can do as Shay does and switch them, but I really prefer to have two bodies so I don't have to change lenses...:-)
    I mean, 2d body is not that much heavier.. Why limit yourself? ne_nau.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2007
    5d for the 24-70
    5D and the 24-70 & 70-200 2.8 are the ideal set up. Wide is WIDE and 2.8 is wide open. The 16-35 is also a good option and on my wishlist.
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2007
    ChatKat wrote:
    5D and the 24-70 & 70-200 2.8 are the ideal set up. Wide is WIDE and 2.8 is wide open. The 16-35 is also a good option and on my wishlist.
    15524779-Ti.gif for the FF body 24-70 is close to APC 17-55, and 16-35 is nearly identical to APC 10-22. deal.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    dbutchardbutchar Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited October 13, 2007
    What about the 5D with EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM Lens. Would you ever use this one.