Options

Panning

a-baird-photographa-baird-photograph Registered Users Posts: 45 Big grins
edited November 4, 2007 in Technique
I've been struggling with Panning Technique...so much so I'm embarassed to even post some poor examples...is it a question of practice practice practice, or are there some tips out there to be shared.
Body: Canon XTi
Glass: 85mm f1.8, 50mm f1.8, 18-55mm f3.5-5.6, 70-300mm f4.0-5.6, Sigma 10-22mm f4-5.6

Comments

• Options
    SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2007
    You got the practice part right...
    1. Rotate at the hips for a smoother scroll.
    2. Don't set your shutter speed to long.
    3. Start around 1/30 and go from there.
    4. Make sure you only go in one direction. left to right.. up to down.. don't try to go left to right and up to down at the same time.
    Start w/ that. and POST SOME PICTURES!
    Even if you think they bite, it helps immensly to see an image so ppl can help you out..

-Jon
  • Options
    jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2007
    SloYerRoll wrote:
    4. Make sure you only go in one direction. left to right.. up to down.. don't try to go left to right and up to down at the same time.
    Start w/ that. and POST SOME PICTURES!
    Even if you think they bite, it helps immensly to see an image so ppl can help you out..

-Jon

Better yet , I have had some pretty good results using a mono pod for panning. It keeps you steady in the up/down plane but allows freedom to pan left to right. 1/15 to 1/40 shutter speed will usually be enough to get streaks. Also, use a low ISO and increased DOF to keep from over exposing AND.......make use of 2nd curtain synch and flash exposure compensation to make the subject really pop against the background.
  • Options
    Wet OregonWet Oregon Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited October 11, 2007
    Panning
    Couple of other suggestions when "panning" keeping following thru as you swing from left to right etc., don't stop when you click the shutter..follow thru! Uncuttered background shows off the subject being panned much better than confusing background....
  • Options
    OsirisPhotoOsirisPhoto Registered Users Posts: 367 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2007
    Yep, post the results..

Here's my attempts, with info...

206968955-M.jpg
    1/160s

206163234-M.jpg
    1/15s eek7.gif A bit too slow rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    TanukiTanuki Registered Users Posts: 184 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2007
    I've been struggling with Panning Technique...so much so I'm embarassed to even post some poor examples...is it a question of practice practice practice, or are there some tips out there to be shared.

You have some good advice already. I would add the following suggestions.

- Some cameras have vibration reduction or image stabilization at low shutter speeds, which is usually incompatible with panning. Check your camera's user manual for more info. If in doubt, turn it off for your panning shots.

- Fill flash can help to freeze the subject without affecting the background blur.

Mike
  • Options
    SPACESPACE Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
    edited October 14, 2007
    Wet Oregon wrote:
    Couple of other suggestions when "panning" keeping following thru as you swing from left to right etc., don't stop when you click the shutter..follow thru! Uncuttered background shows off the subject being panned much better than confusing background....

The only thing I might add would be, take more than one shot. Two or three.
  • Options
    IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2007
    Tanuki wrote:
    - Some cameras have vibration reduction or image stabilization at low shutter speeds, which is usually incompatible with panning. Check your camera's user manual for more info. If in doubt, turn it off for your panning shots.

Mike

Nikon's VR technology detects panning and does not try to "correct" for it. SO . . . leave it turned on. I suspect that VR (or IS) technologies that are in-lens mechanisms are more compatible with panning than those inside the camera body. That's strictly a WAG though.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • Options
    TanukiTanuki Registered Users Posts: 184 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2007
    Icebear wrote:
    Nikon's VR technology detects panning and does not try to "correct" for it. SO . . . leave it turned on. I suspect that VR (or IS) technologies that are in-lens mechanisms are more compatible with panning than those inside the camera body. That's strictly a WAG though.

I had a bad initial experience trying to pan with VR, and had assumed that VR was incompatable with panning. But now that you mention it, I do see that Nikon says that it automatically detects panning and will only correct for vibration in the vertical detection while panning. Thanks for leading me to that.

According to the manual, you have to set the VR to "normal" mode rather than "active" mode. I'm now beginning to wonder whether I had my VR incorrectly set to "active" mode at the time. I'll be sure to play with it this weekend and see if that was it.

Mike
  • Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2007
    Tanuki wrote:
    I had a bad initial experience trying to pan with VR, and had assumed that VR was incompatable with panning. But now that you mention it, I do see that Nikon says that it automatically detects panning and will only correct for vibration in the vertical detection while panning. Thanks for leading me to that.

According to the manual, you have to set the VR to "normal" mode rather than "active" mode. I'm now beginning to wonder whether I had my VR incorrectly set to "active" mode at the time. I'll be sure to play with it this weekend and see if that was it.

Mike
    Some Canon lenses with IS have mode 1 and 2, the latter being the one to choose for panning, I think.
  • Options
    sirsloopsirsloop Registered Users Posts: 866 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2007
    You can't expect to pan a dog running and have it look like a dog with a streaked background. What you have is about the best you'll get with a dog running... or anything running for that matter.
  • Options
    HarveyMushmanHarveyMushman Registered Users Posts: 550 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2007
    SloYerRoll wrote:

If I may add:
    5. Support the camera/lens. I always have my left hand under the lens, at the furthest-forward point, which is usually the lens hood.
    6. Squeeeeze the shutter. Don’t jab.
    7. Take many photos—the slower the shutter speed, the lower your keeper ratio will be.
    Tim
  • Options
    edited October 16, 2007
    sirsloop wrote:
    You can't expect to pan a dog running and have it look like a dog with a streaked background. What you have is about the best you'll get with a dog running... or anything running for that matter.

TBH, it wasn't much of a surprise when I first viewed the image.. was shooting in aperture priority mode, and wasn't expecting such a slow shutter speed. One thing I was wondering though, would a flash (sync'd for 2nd curtain) add more 'dog detail' to the image?
  • Options
    Bill_MBill_M Registered Users Posts: 119 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2007

f5.6, ISO 200. Stacked a .6 ND filter & a Polarizing filter on the front of
    the lens to deal with the noon high-sun. Camera was set to AI-Servo mode on a tripod.
    Basically I focused on the train as it came into view & panned the camera
    along with it as it passed by.

Good luck...
    Bill

213968180-M.jpg
  • Options
    RaphyRaphy Registered Users Posts: 431 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2007
    Here are my attempts... from what others have pointed out, I was at the wrong place... the sun is hitting the backside of the rider and the face is in shadow... another mistake of mine was not using a slower shutter speed... these were shot at 1/320 and 1/400.... what was i thinkingne_nau.gif !!! lol rolleyes1.gif

1683054520_3ab55d6fac.jpg

1682195235_7cd7f34f43.jpg

rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    Antonio CorreiaAntonio Correia Registered Users Posts: 6,241 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2007
    Please have at look here.

Not stong enought here on the 1.st photo but good on the second one.
    210637441-S.jpg210513977-S.jpg

and some previous attempts

112206900-S.jpg111375036-S.jpg
    All the best ! ... António Correia - Facebook
  • Options
    RaphyRaphy Registered Users Posts: 431 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2007
    I went out last night and finally got a panning shot that i think works...even though my iso is high ... it was practically night time.. lol

1805904929_a825832e68.jpg

Exposure: 0.077 sec (1/13)
    Aperture: f/4.5
    Focal Length: 90 mm
    ISO Speed: 800
    Exposure Bias: 5 EV
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited October 31, 2007
    Good job, at 1/13th sec

This is mine at f10, 1/320th, but at 500mm of focal length

212212386-L.jpg
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    GiphsubGiphsub Registered Users Posts: 2,662 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2007
  • Options
    bhambham Registered Users Posts: 1,303 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2007
    Hyperbaric wrote:
    Yep, post the results..

Here's my attempts, with info...

206968955-M.jpg
    1/160s

206163234-M.jpg
    1/15s eek7.gif A bit too slow rolleyes1.gif

Nice job on the car, a good panning on a dog I think would be very hard. Certain things tragectery (sp??) can be predicted easily, while some can't. Also a dog, besides going left to right, may have some up down movement that could throw off a good panning. The car with a good panning will only have movement on the wheels, where with a dog, the legs, tail, ears, etc could all have movement. Getting a good animal panning I think is going to be significantly more difficult.
    "A photo is like a hamburger. You can get one from McDonalds for $1, one from Chili's for $5, or one from Ruth's Chris for $15. You usually get what you pay for, but don't expect a Ruth's Chris burger at a McDonalds price, if you want that, go cook it yourself." - me
  • Options
    edited November 4, 2007
    bham wrote:
    Nice job on the car, a good panning on a dog I think would be very hard. Certain things tragectery (sp??) can be predicted easily, while some can't. Also a dog, besides going left to right, may have some up down movement that could throw off a good panning. The car with a good panning will only have movement on the wheels, where with a dog, the legs, tail, ears, etc could all have movement. Getting a good animal panning I think is going to be significantly more difficult.

Cheers Bham.. I agree that it is hard to take a panning shot of dogs.. exactly for the reasons you mention. Couldn't resist the challenge though...

212009537-L.jpg

And I love the way it can be just plain silly (and fun) :D ...

212009165-L.jpg

Been experimenting with 2nd curtain flash too, but nothing much yet.