Options

swimming - indoor tips?

thephotophreakthephotophreak Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
edited October 12, 2007 in Sports
:help
Just joined and this is my first post. I am looking for tips or links to photos I can check out in reference to taking photos indoors of Competetive Swimming?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2007
    Welcome to d/grin. What equipment will you be using ?
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2007
  • Options
    edited October 9, 2007
    Gus I will be using a Canon 30D with a 28-135 lens or I can put on a 28-200! I have a 430EX flash. Would I pull off my UV haze filter???

I started looking at some swimming shots and of course in states where the weather is beautiful they hold these events outdoors where the light is beautiful. Here in Michigan it is indoor under incandesent lighting (i think) and it is dark outside by 7:15 right now. I think I can get them to hold a practice in thier competition suits so I can get up close and personal to get some action shots - so that takes off some of the pressure of capturing a specific moment. sorry was that TMI!

Claudette
  • Options
    edited October 9, 2007
    Andy do you miss a beat? You are all over this web-site - I know you are part of the company but do you ever sleep???

Thanks for the links I will check them out.

Am I responding to these correctly??? Just hit the reply button in the corner right, I did not fill in the title is that ok???

Thanks
    Claudette
  • Options
    Mr. 2H2OMr. 2H2O Registered Users Posts: 427 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2007
    Andy do you miss a beat? You are all over this web-site - I know you are part of the company but do you ever sleep???

Thanks for the links I will check them out.

Am I responding to these correctly??? Just hit the reply button in the corner right, I did not fill in the title is that ok???

Thanks
    Claudette

Claudette,
    You're doing fine...no need to put a subject on each response since its contained within the thread.

As for Andy, I heard that Baldy had Apple install a special "cloning" feature in thier Smugmug iPhones so Andy can be "cyber-everywhere" which we in the online world call "cyberwhere"...

- Mike
    Olympus E-30
    IR Modified Sony F717
    http://2H2OPhoto.smugmug.com
  • Options
    DJTDJT Registered Users Posts: 353 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2007
    My nephews are on a local YMCA swimteam and like Michigan, here in NE Indiana they swim indoors. No flash allowed because our Y uses a strobe light to start the races. Hence the flash might confuse the kids.

Make sure your flash can be used before taking a shot or you may find you and your equipment in the pool from some angry parent for confusing their kid.

But I also plan on checking out the links provided as I too will be taking pictures of the meets, since I'm helping with their website. - canon rebel xt
  • Options
    edited October 11, 2007
    This community is so nice I appreciate the responses and will probalbly attend a practice or two too see what kind of results I get.

claudette
  • Options
    edited October 11, 2007
    This community is so nice I appreciate the responses and will probalbly attend a practice or two too see what kind of results I get.

claudette

I was thinking the same thing... can't believe it took me 7months to actually post and 4 months to register.
  • Options
    edited October 11, 2007
    DJT wrote:
    I was thinking the same thing... can't believe it took me 7months to actually post and 4 months to register.

If you have good results and find a method that works - shoot me an email...If I have success I will share too.

claudette
  • Options
    edited October 11, 2007
    Mr. 2H2O wrote:
    Claudette,
    You're doing fine...no need to put a subject on each response since its contained within the thread.

As for Andy, I heard that Baldy had Apple install a special "cloning" feature in thier Smugmug iPhones so Andy can be "cyber-everywhere" which we in the online world call "cyberwhere"...

- Mike

Ok Mike
    I am getting used to this forum thing - I sent you the private email thinking I would be talking to you personally - but I forgot if you don't know what the hell I am talking about it is hard to answer......I was wondering what your photo is on next to your name?????

claudette
  • Options
    edited October 11, 2007
    Ok Mike
    I am getting used to this forum thing - I sent you the private email thinking I would be talking to you personally - but I forgot if you don't know what the hell I am talking about it is hard to answer......I was wondering what your photo is on next to your name?????

claudette

Claudette,
    The Avatar pic you wonder about I refer to as my big gun. Its a Sony F717 camera with a Raynox 1850 teleconverter - the Sony lens goes out to 195mm at F2.4 and the converter adds 1.8x magnification. The camera is great at low light and no matter what focal length I have, I seem to always want more...and more...and more...and more...

- Mike
    Olympus E-30
    IR Modified Sony F717
  • Options
    DblDbl Registered Users Posts: 230 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2007
    If you are interested I can offer you some advice that may help.

1.You will need fast glass to help you out, 2.8 or faster. My preference is to use a 70-200/2.8 and a 300/2.8. I have used an 85/1.8 as well.

2. Flash is not allowed during starts, check with the officials if you can use it at other times. I don't, some do. I don't care for the reflection issues that can happen with flash.

3. Always talk to the officials before the meet to inform them of your presence and where you will be. Find out if there are any areas they don't want you. They own the sides of the pool to judge any infractions by the swimmers.

3. Areas to shoot from, the stands with longer glass will get you nice freestyle shots. The ends of the pool for backstroke, breaststroke and butterfly. These are not hard and fast rules, but are safe shot areas. I prefer to lay or kneel on the pool deck on the ends to get low angles, so dress accordingly, sandals quick dry clothing.

4. Protect your equipment. I carry a towel to dry any splashes off the camera or lens. Chlorine can do some damage to glass when it drys.

5. Types of shots. Item #3 gives you an idea. On the breaststroke on the breath, head up and looking forward from a head on angle or slightly off to the side. On butterfly arms out to the side head out of water looking ahead. Backstroke swimming away with arms just coming out of the water with water drip and coming out of the turns blowing bubbles under water in calm water makes for good shots. Freestyle from the side with head toward the camera on the breath. You can pick up on each swimmers breathing patterns fairly quick. These are safe shots, by all means experiment with others.

6. White balance. The sodium vapor lighting in most pools will give you fits. You will have to deal with an orange cast in most pools. A couple of things to try. A custom white balance shot of a white tee shirt or white towel filling the frame of the shot. Make sure you do this at 1/30s or slower to account for the cycling of the lights. AWB sometimes gives better results than a CWB. Shoot RAW and set a white point in PP. I don't do this because I shoot high volumes. Set a K temp in your white balance. I actually have had good results with this method. Adjust until you have the skin tones and colors you are looking for. I keep a log for each venue I shoot that tells me what K temp to use. Another good way to obtain this setting is to take a RAW shot or two and open in your favorite editor and see what the K temp is when you set you white and black points. Simple to just dial in that K temp when you go back to the pool to shoot. This works with almost any lighting situation, football fields, basketball courts, volleyball, etc. I keep a log of each venue I shoot with K temp, exposures, WB method, Shutter speeds, etc. makes it easy when I return to shoot again.

7. Exposure modes. I prefer to shoot manual wide open (f2.8) with an ISO setting that will get me a minimum of 1/320s preferably something a bit higher such as 1/500s, 1/800s if I can get it, RARE! Most of the time that will be at least ISO 3200. If you are not comfortable with manual use Av. When shooting high ISO's make sure you are slightly overexposing your shot. If you don't and try and bring it up in post noise will be more evident. This is a hard one for most to grasp, but it is essential to successful high ISO shooting for clean results. This is true for any shot and any sport.

8. Focus. Use AI servo with single point focus. Be aware that splashes of water will throw off focus. There is not a lot you can do about it other then make sure you are focusing on the face and head of the swimmer. You will lose some shots due to this.

9. Other shots to take. Starts (no flashing please), finishing, turns, reaction shots of other swimmers and coaches, handshakes at the end of the races, etc. and whatever else you think will tell a story.

I hope this gets you started. One further tip, a common mistake many make is not shooting tight enough. The best impact shots are ones that are very tightly shot and cropped. If you have any questions about the above tips feel free to ask and make sure you post some results of your shoot.
    Dan

Canon Gear
  • Options
    edited October 12, 2007
    WHOA! Thanks Dbl.... Haven't read the whole thing yet, but it looks like a copy and paster and keep it in the camera bag info. I'll post some someday, the nephews season starts mid November.

HEY thephotophreak! I got Dbl posted some GREAT Info. You told me to email you when I learnt something, so I thought I'd post instead! :D

and 2H2O - I also have a Sony F717. It bit the dust on me at Cedar Point Park 1 1/2 years ago, but found out it that mine was due to have this problem and was fixed by Sony for Free. Took them 1 day to get it done. I've been debating on selling it, I want another lens for the Canon, but parts of me says, "I still lub my sony".
  • Options
    edited October 12, 2007
    DJT wrote:
    WHOA! Thanks Dbl.... Haven't read the whole thing yet, but it looks like a copy and paster and keep it in the camera bag info. I'll post some someday, the nephews season starts mid November.

HEY thephotophreak! I got Dbl posted some GREAT Info. You told me to email you when I learnt something, so I thought I'd post instead! :D

and 2H2O - I also have a Sony F717. It bit the dust on me at Cedar Point Park 1 1/2 years ago, but found out it that mine was due to have this problem and was fixed by Sony for Free. Took them 1 day to get it done. I've been debating on selling it, I want another lens for the Canon, but parts of me says, "I still lub my sony".

DJT,
    I am beginning to think I'm the only one still shooting regularly with my F717 - so many folks are into DSLR now. I had an interesting discovery with mine after the new sensor - the noise at higher ISO was a much finer grain than before so now I feel very comfortable shooting up to ISO800 and with just a little tweek from noise reduction routines, I get really nice images up to 8.5 x 11. I just can't seem to find anything to match the sharpness that awesome lens gives me...

I carry it in my bag along with my Panasonic and switch back and forth to get the shots I want.

- Mike
    Olympus E-30
    IR Modified Sony F717
  • Options
    edited October 12, 2007
    Mr. 2H2O wrote:
    DJT,
    I am beginning to think I'm the only one still shooting regularly with my F717 - so many folks are into DSLR now.
    - Mike

There's others besides you. I was at the Auburn Cord Duesenberg Club event Labor Day weekend and had the Canon and Sony out. Had about 4 ppl come up to me and say NICE Camera with the Sony (as they were all holding one); not a one came up to me with the Canon.

I know we got off subject.... sorry. I'll try the ISO800 setting, but what's the little tweek? PM or djtdesigns (at) gmail (dot) com works too.
  • Options
    mr peasmr peas Registered Users Posts: 1,369 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2007
    Don't drop the camera in the pool. mwink.gif