Options

Spokes

AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
edited February 25, 2005 in Technique

Comments

• Options
    johnojohno Registered Users Posts: 617 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2005
    I like 1 and 3. thumb.gif On the first shot it looks like you clipped the top of the bike handle bars. I would like to have seen the whole bike in the shot. Not having them there makes me think you missed the shot. Don't get me wrong, it is a great shot, I just wish the whole bike was in the pic.

#3 nice work with the shadows on the bikes. One thing bugs me, MAGNA? Couldn't you find a nice Cannondale in Hollywood? rolleyes1.gif

Peace.
    johno~
    If we have no peace, it is because we have forgotten that we belong to each other.
    ~Mother Teresa

Canon 1D Mark II / Canon 50D / Canon 30D / Canon G9
    Canon 50mm 1.4
    Canon 24-105 f/4 L IS / Canon 70-200 f/2.8 L

blog
    johno's gallery
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,189 moderator
    edited February 24, 2005
    Angelo wrote:
    What do you think of these?

16415895-L.jpg
    I like the last shot the best. Low light can bring out textures that you'll never notice at noon. I would have liked to see more of that shadow though. The juxtapostion of less bike and lots of long distorted shadow at that angle would be real nice. That little bit of shadow on the bottom left from the rack would be best removed from the pic.

Now, to directly answer that question of yours...
    Angelo wrote:
    What do you think of these?
    I would not want to work on any of those (brands shown) bikes there. When those come in to the store, there isn't much we can do but throw new tubes in or lube their drivetrains. But I'd sure like to be riding my custom rig in weather like that you show there! We need to wait another month or two out this way :cry .
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    edited February 24, 2005
    johno wrote:
    I like 1 and 3. thumb.gif On the first shot it looks like you clipped the top of the bike handle bars. I would like to have seen the whole bike in the shot. Not having them there makes me think you missed the shot. Don't get me wrong, it is a great shot, I just wish the whole bike was in the pic.

#3 nice work with the shadows on the bikes. One thing bugs me, MAGNA? Couldn't you find a nice Cannondale in Hollywood? rolleyes1.gif

Peace.
    johno~
    john, thanks for the response. You're so right about #1 and I knew everyone would nail me for it, but clipping that little bit of handlebar was the only way to avoid the cars parked 20' away in the lot.

and #3: Nobody leaves a cannondale locked up at the metro station! Laughing.gif. These are blue collar bikes. Very urban! rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited February 24, 2005
    David_S85 wrote:
    I like the last shot the best. Low light can bring out textures that you'll never notice at noon. I would have liked to see more of that shadow though. The juxtapostion of less bike and lots of long distorted shadow at that angle would be real nice. That little bit of shadow on the bottom left from the rack would be best removed from the pic.
    David; I know what you're suggesting and I'll try that in future. Today, if I had waited another 10 minutes the sun would've dropped behind a building and I would've lost all shadow rather than get longer shadow and yes the rail shadow bothers me too... I couldn't find a better position to shoot it and I don't know how to "erase/clone" it out. I'm just learning the software thang.
  • Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2005
    Angelo, with the title of "spokes" I would have expected spokes to be the dominant objects in the image. But they aren't. It's more like "bikes."

Technically, I think they're fine, but I would have come in really close on the spokes. Maybe even macro.

Something like this...

14752-L-1.jpg

The last shot has a very cool shadow, but with the bike in the shot, I'm not exactly sure what you're after. Again, I'd probably come in really tight on the spokes of the shadow. As far as content of that last image, it looks like a pretty low quality bike...all the more reason to omit it from the composition. Would you rather see a photo of a Porsche Carerra 4 or a Honda Accord?
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2005
    You might also want to consider bumping up the contrast a bit to make it a little punchier.
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    tmlphototmlphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,444 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2005
    fish wrote:
    You might also want to consider bumping up the contrast a bit to make it a little punchier.
    I like #3 the best. I think Fish is correct about trying to bumb up the contrast a little.
    Thomas :D

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com
  • Options
    trippy64trippy64 Registered Users Posts: 55 Big grins
    edited February 24, 2005
    I hope he doesn't own this bike, you guys are brutal. As long as it goes form point a to point b...... I own a Huffy, gues what I'll not be using as the subject in a photo around here...

Michael, for number two, I liked the composition but could you try to tighten up the line a little of the bick to the rack, I think it might work better if you angled a little more and had a line going more top to bottom of the frame?
    trippy64.smugmug.com
    A man can do as he wills, but not will as he wills.

An opinion should be the result of thought,not the replacement of it.:scratch
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,189 moderator
    edited February 24, 2005
    Apology
    trippy64 wrote:
    I hope he doesn't own this bike, you guys are brutal. As long as it goes form point a to point b...... I own a Huffy, gues what I'll not be using as the subject in a photo around here...
    rolleyes1.gif Sorry Trippy. I meant no malice in the comment above. What can I say? ne_nau.gif I come to the forum with a slight bias - 33 years in the cycling industry; 20 of them as a retail dealer outside of Chicago.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    GraphyFotozGraphyFotoz Registered Users Posts: 2,267 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2005
    Someone say SPOKES
    SPOKES my style! :D

69 "YENKO" Chevelle!
    (Done with my 2.1mp Sony FD97)
    No PP done!

DSC01289-vi.jpg

DSC01288-vi.jpg
    Canon 60D | Nikon Cooloix P7700
    Manfrotto Mono | Bag- LowePro Slingshot 100AW

http://www.graphyfotoz.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited February 25, 2005
    fish wrote:
    Fish: Thanks for the advice and for doing it for me.