Options

Tokina 300mm, advice

thoffthoff Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
edited August 27, 2008 in Cameras
I have a chance to buy a Tokina 300mm Pro for about 1000 us. I really cannot justify the price of a Canon 300 and from what I have read the Tokina is pretty good albiet I cannot find much about it on the web. Just wondering if you think it would be a good buy?
Thank you in advance.
Tom
"It is what you learn after you know it all that really counts"

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,851 moderator
    edited October 12, 2007
  • Options
    edited October 12, 2007
    Yes
    The ones from FM and and the other website is it. The other I guess is the older version. I do not make a living taking pictures so it is hard for me to justify spending this kind of money but the price is very attractive for me and I guess I could resell if necessary. Just on the fence with this.
    Thank you for the reply.
    Tom
  • Options
    BBiggsBBiggs Registered Users Posts: 688 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2007
    Have you tried looking for a USED non IS EF 300mm L ? It is said to be sharper than the IS version and usually can be had for around $700. I think this would be a good option as well.
  • Options
    edited October 12, 2007
    BBiggs wrote:
    Have you tried looking for a USED non IS EF 300mm L ? It is said to be sharper than the IS version and usually can be had for around $700. I think this would be a good option as well.

I have looked for them but never have seen one for 700. Have seen the 300 F4 for about 700 but not the 2.8 non IS version. I have only seen them for about 1700 and the IS version well higher.
    Really hard to justify 1700 or more being it is just a hobby for me.
    Tom
  • Options
    edited October 12, 2007
    thoff wrote:
    I have looked for them but never have seen one for 700. Have seen the 300 F4 for about 700 but not the 2.8 non IS version. I have only seen them for about 1700 and the IS version well higher.
    Really hard to justify 1700 or more being it is just a hobby for me.
    Tom

Oh sorry I had it in my mind the tokina was f4 ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited October 12, 2007
    Not a problem.
    BBiggs wrote:
    Oh sorry I had it in my mind the tokina was f4 ne_nau.gif

Well with the wifes blessing ( not sure what she has in store for me to do to make up for this bowdown.gif ) I went ahead and bought it. If you like I will let you know what it is like when I get it.
    Now I need to sell my Tokina 400mm to help fund this.
    Tom
  • Options
    edited October 12, 2007
    thoff wrote:
    Well with the wifes blessing ( not sure what she has in store for me to do to make up for this bowdown.gif ) I went ahead and bought it. If you like I will let you know what it is like when I get it.
    Now I need to sell my Tokina 400mm to help fund this.
    Tom

Yes please do report on the lens! I doubt I will be getting one as I just bought a 400mm 5.6L wings.gif , but it would be interesting to see how well this one performs.
  • Options
    chozachoza Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited August 27, 2008
    newbie bump to the thread!
    For the moment i made my mind for a 300mm f2.8, the Tokina is an option, but USM is tempting.
    I have an EOS 450D, i decided to start photography with a kind of "low" end body and better lenses, keep the lenses, and upgrade body in the future.

How much slower is the autofocus of the Tokina pro version?
    Anybody willing to do a video from the viewfinder with a Tokina AF´ing?

best regards

Rodrigo
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,851 moderator
    edited August 27, 2008
    choza wrote:
    newbie bump to the thread!
    For the moment i made my mind for a 300mm f2.8, the Tokina is an option, but USM is tempting.
    I have an EOS 450D, i decided to start photography with a kind of "low" end body and better lenses, keep the lenses, and upgrade body in the future.

How much slower is the autofocus of the Tokina pro version?
    Anybody willing to do a video from the viewfinder with a Tokina AF´ing?

best regards

Rodrigo

Rodrigo, welcome to the Digital Grin. clap.gif

Unfortunately, I don't have the Tokina or I would be happy to oblige your request or at least do a comparison against some of my other lenses.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    kini62kini62 Registered Users Posts: 441 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2008
    There is this lens, Tamron 300/2.8 for $1169 from KEH
    http://www.keh.com/OnLineStore/ProductDetail.aspx?groupsku=CE089990337690&brandcategoryname=35MM&Mode=&item=0&ActivateTOC2=&ID=10&BC=CE&BCC=1&CC=8&CCC=2&BCL=&GBC=&GCC=

I looked at this lens many times trying to figure out if it works on digital. Bottom line is, it might, might not. If it doesn't then Tamron will put a CPU in it for $350.

The few reviews I could find on the lens indicate it's an excellent performer.

But not knowing if it would work or not and $350 plus shipping one way made me hesitate- and while I was hesitating I found a good deal on a like new 120-300/2.8 that I took.

I think I'll be much happier with a HSM zoom than I would've with a micro motor fixed lens.

As for the non IS 300/2.8 I haven't seen a nice one for less than $2500.

Gene