Options

Monaco Optix Calibration

DeaconDeacon Registered Users Posts: 239 Major grins
edited March 18, 2004 in Finishing School
I am considering purchasing the Monaco Optix and Monaco color software. Have any on you used this calibration tool and profiler? Need to get this monitor to sync with the printer.

Deacon :scratch

Comments

• Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2004
    So Deacon, didya ever buy this? ear.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited March 17, 2004
    Optix
    Sid,
    I did purchase the Optix. Not having used any other system I cannot do a comparison for you but I found the system extremely easy to set up and use. It took me about a half hour to install software, calibrate my monitor, printer etc. I did have to get a scanner which I never used before to calibrate the printer but I have to tell you, the cost savings from trial and error as well as accuracy was well worth the investment.

Very easy to build profiles for various papers. I stay with Epson inks so that variable is taken out but it would be easy to build a profile for them as well. I store the profiles according to date and redo them every week or so depending upon the numbers of prints. I calibrated the LCD monitor on my powerbook and find it stays pretty constant.

Yes, I would recommend it.

Deacon
  • Options
    edited March 18, 2004
    Thanks. thumb.gif Were you able to tell a difference in your monitor before and after? And are your prints more faithful to the image you see on your monitor?
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • Options
    edited March 18, 2004
    What happens
    Sid,
    You don't really see a "change" in the monitor other than it becomes adjusted based on the software. The steps you go through adjust your white point, color balances, brightnesses etc. When I turn the comp on now the monitor is slightly darker in cast.

Certainly not being an expert on this, I think what the calibration does is not measure what your equipment is doing as much as give the equipment a benchmark to work against/toward. By standardizing the various pieces to the software all pieces are working at the same "levels".

So when you adjust an image on your monitor, the information base is the same on all pieces and if you adjust the input from the processing, then each pieces sees the variance from the standard and reproduces it correctly.

Yes, the monitor matches the prints now....that was my whole goal. I am sure there is a better explaination for this and it is certainloy my explaination. Maybe some of the more technical experters can provide a better explaination of this process.

Deacon
  • Options
    edited March 18, 2004
    Thanks Deac. Glad to hear the setup wasn't too tough... that's not the reputation of Eye One, a wildly expensive option. Good feedback.
    Sid.
  • Options
    patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    Glad to hear the setup wasn't too tough... that's not the reputation of Eye One, a wildly expensive option. Good feedback.

My Eye-One system was easy to use. All you need to do is install the software and it walks you through the process. My prints match a local Nortisu printer very well.