Options

Wedding: Suzanne & Julian - 23 Sep 2007 (9 images)

Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
edited October 15, 2007 in Weddings
A short introduction - Suzanne and Julian have known each other for a while, dating for more than 2 years. The story as related to me: On the day he proposed to her and she accepted, she announce the engagement to her children (3 from a previous marriage). The eldest, about 8, went running up to Julian and said something like, "Thank you for loving my mommy!" By the time Suzanne had gotten to that point in the story, both she and I had tears and the snuffles. I knew at that point that I really wanted to photograph their wedding day.

The contracted with me and it turned out the be the best one yet; and I've had a couple of really good ones already this year.

As always C&C is encourage/solicited. Thanks for visiting!

1. Daughter of the bride - keeping herself busy.
206606500-M.jpg

2. B&G holding hands; I'm not too sure about this one. It struck a chord with me. What do y'all think?
206607951-M.jpg

3. Father of the Bride with Bride
206610028-M.jpg

4. This one - telling a story on myself here. My eyes were tearing up so bad, I had a very difficult time composing/focusing. It's the way he's holding her and the way she's leaning back into him. It just got to me (does this qualify me as a romantic softie?)
206610542-M.jpg

5., 6., 7. He dropped some icing down her bodice, then when looking for it...
206610888-S.jpg206610923-S.jpg206610964-S.jpg

8. Daughter of the Bride and a guest - they wanted to get into the fun as well
206614281-M.jpg

9. Bride & Groom - last dance of the party - love the look on her face.
206615240-M.jpg

Comments

• Options
    PineapplePhotoPineapplePhoto Registered Users Posts: 474 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2007
    Loved # 3 - touchy moment.

#9... WHAT is that in the back of his head? would he want you to PP it? eek7.gif
    Body: Canon 1D Mark II N | Canon 30D w/BG-E2 Flash: Canon 580EX II | Quantum T4d | Strobes & Monolights
    Glass: Sigma 70-200 f2.8 | Sigma 20 f1.8 | Canon 28-135 f3.5-5.6 IS USM
  • Options
    photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2007
    #2, #4 and #9 are all awesome! The others are good, too, but those really struck me...

In #4, I'd crop closer - I hate (as you know) limbs/hands cropped poorly and you can easily fix it by cropping closer.... But I LOVE that shot.

Him going after the cake is hilarious! Great grouping of shots. They look like they are SO happy together - very cute couple!!
  • Options
    edited October 11, 2007
    Loved # 3 - touchy moment.

#9... WHAT is that in the back of his head? would he want you to PP it? eek7.gif
    Scar tissue. And, no - I don't do that sort of thing without a direct request from the client.
  • Options
    edited October 11, 2007
    #2, #4 and #9 are all awesome! The others are good, too, but those really struck me...

In #4, I'd crop closer - I hate (as you know) limbs/hands cropped poorly and you can easily fix it by cropping closer.... But I LOVE that shot.

Him going after the cake is hilarious! Great grouping of shots. They look like they are SO happy together - very cute couple!!
    Thanks - yep, these were winners in my book as well.

Thanks for looking and posting a comment.
  • Options
    hamsterhamster Registered Users Posts: 361 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2007
    #9 is fantastic.

The hand holding one confused me for a second - it looks like the bride is missing because the dress has no texture...
  • Options
    nicoleshillidaynicoleshilliday Registered Users Posts: 549 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2007
    i mostly agree with everyone else but wanted to give some C&C anyway...

#1~ I think the chair color is very distracting. Don’t think you can crop it out, so maybe try it in B&W.

#2~ At first I liked the shot, but then when I went back to comment I didn’t like how her hand looks like it is floating. But I do like the idea and how the two different skin colors play off of each other.

#3~ Soft tender moment between the two of them.

#4~ Yes you are a romantic softy!! It is funny how I cry at every wedding I have ever been to except my own…hope that is not a sign. I would like to see it with a closer crop.

#5, 6, 7~ Fantastic! Love everything about them.

#8~ Very cute. Everyone likes pictures of children!

#9~ She is just stunning in this photo. I can feel the love. Gleaming with joy! My Fav! clap.gif

Great shots! Thanks for sharing.
    Nicole
    D3, and other Nikon goodies
    Shilliday Photography
    Blog
    Facebook
  • Options
    edited October 11, 2007
    I'm thinking I may have to re-work #2. The more I look at it and the more comments I get about it the more I'm thinking that I missed the mark.

I really appreciate the comments. Thanks.
  • Options
    jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2007
    Scar tissue. And, no - I don't do that sort of thing without a direct request from the client.

My name is Jeff and I approve of this message!!!!

I will do scrapes, bruises, and pimples- but draw the line at scars, moles, and freckles.

Wow, stunning bride, and a very happy couple. Nice work.

5,6,7 almost look as if shot in a studio. Must be the BG and lighting.
    9 is my favorite. I like the expression, the angle and the treatment.
  • Options
    DavidSDavidS Registered Users Posts: 1,279 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2007
    These are great. I love her expressions in the dance with her father and the dance with the groom. You caught some great expressions on both of them in the icing series.
  • Options
    evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2007
    #2, his side of the picture looks fine, the hands together look fine, but her dress... I can't figure it out. I don't know if it's the color or lack of detail?

#4 I couldn't figure out at first why her lower arms seemed so full of blood. I got it now :)

#9 is my favorite. I like 5,6,7 and 8 - just wonder how 8 would have looked had went down to their level, but doesn't matter because you caught the smiles.
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • Options
    SenecaSeneca Registered Users Posts: 1,661 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2007
    Ahhh Scott...those are really great. The last one is very touching, very romantic...very sweet. Good job!thumb.gif
  • Options
    leaforteleaforte Registered Users Posts: 1,948 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2007
    two struck a chord with me too. How cool is that. A bit grainy, but thats ok.
    Growing with Dgrin

• Options
    saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2007
    Lots of great emotion in these shots! I think they are some of your best yet in that regard! I really like the gentle way he holds her hand in #2, but the rest of her gets very lost in the shot. I wonder if you could perhaps vignette the hands and use a blur on the rest of the shot? Just a thought. #3,4 & 9 are super and the cake shots are hysterical! Would love to see some tighter cropping on some of these, but I understand the need to leave room for frames. rolleyes1.gif Great job, Scott!
  • Options
    edited October 13, 2007
    Hands, a second time
    By popular demand from my adoring fans (ok, maybe not much demand, and maybe no fans :D)

I decided to take some time to re-work this photo. The more I looked at it, the more I decided that I didn't like the 2x3 aspect ratio, so I tried 4x5 and that seemed to work better. The next job was to attempt to work it so that I didn't blow all the detail in her dress (which is what happened with the first version). Then, per suggestion from saurora (thanks) I applied a huge vignette action that I developed some time ago that incorporates both a vignette and some blurring and a bunch of other stuff (I'll share the action with any that ask for it) and then applied the "Greg Gorman" B&W action (see Action Central here for that one). Anyway, this is what I came up with the second time around....

207581479-L.jpg

So, any comments???
  • Options
    evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2007
    I like that much better!
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • Options
    nicoleshillidaynicoleshilliday Registered Users Posts: 549 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2007
    love it! 100% better. i am not looking at his private parts so much rolleyes1.gif and also can tell where the brides dress starts and stops.
    Nicole
    D3, and other Nikon goodies
    Shilliday Photography
    Blog
    Facebook
  • Options
    kombizzkombizz Banned Posts: 267 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2007
    Thank you for sharing the introductory story behind your images.
    Love it.
    I hope these beautiful people live happily. Also I hope the groom take of those lovely kids.
    I WAS VERY SURPRISED that this beautiful bride was married 3 times without any success in her own private life.
    Love your emotional shot in your last image.
    Thank you for sharing.
  • Options
    edited October 15, 2007
    kombizz wrote:
    Thank you for sharing the introductory story behind your images.
    Love it.
    I hope these beautiful people live happily. Also I hope the groom take of those lovely kids.
    I WAS VERY SURPRISED that this beautiful bride was married 3 times without any success in her own private life.
    Love your emotional shot in your last image.
    Thank you for sharing.
    I have no doubt they will be very happy. He's a great guy and I know she went into the relationship quite carefully this time.

As for the number of prior marriages (I feel a need to set the record straight ne_nau.gif ) - only 1.
    she announce the engagement to her children (3 from a previous marriage)
    She has three children from a previous marriage.

Thanks for looking