Options

Is proof delay still unavailible for DDs?

HindsightHindsight Registered Users Posts: 93 Big grins
edited October 17, 2007 in SmugMug Support
Has SM been updated to allow sellers to retouch digital downloads before they're downloaded by the customers? This is an important feature to me and if not fixed will effect my stay at SM, come resubscription time. Any info is greatly appreciated.

Eric Piercey
Hindsight Video and Photography
My Gear: Nikon D300, D200, D100, 80-200 f2.8, DVX100B
regular site
oo
smug site

Comments

• Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2007
    Hindsight wrote:
    Has SM been updated to allow sellers to retouch digital downloads before they're downloaded by the customers? This is an important feature to me and if not fixed will effect my stay at SM, come resubscription time. Any info is greatly appreciated.

Eric Piercey

Can you describe how you want the user experience to work when you have proof delay on digital downloads? Today, the experience is that the user decides what they want and they immediately download it. Obviously, a user can't have this experience if there's proof delay on digital downloads. Today's experience is consistent with other digital content purchasing on the internet that users might be familiar with (stock photos, digital software downloads, etc...).
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2007
    Hindsight wrote:

Eric Piercey
    I'm sorry this will affect your staying with us!

People want digital downloads now, so we have no plans to allow proof delay for them. I'm sorry I don't have a better answer at the moment for you :(
  • Options
    HindsightHindsight Registered Users Posts: 93 Big grins
    edited October 17, 2007
    Sure there's always a desire for instant gratification, but there's also the simple need of a digital file which is being hampered down in the current state of things. There's a large segment of customers that want the digital file primarily for publication along with the accompanying license. Of course "now" is always desireable, but at the same time customers (typically) want their photos print ready. Furthermore, photogs, at least speaking for myself, don't want customers or publishers altering the images. Not having the ability to retouch prior to customer download means their arguably most significant work; that which is going to be published gets published as uploaded which therefore requires every photo be completely print ready upon upload. This completely negates the whole concept of proofs.

My suggestion is either to:

a. allow proof delay on DD's.

or

b. create another purchasing option geared toward the digital file not the instant aspect. The competition I'm potentially leaving Smug Mug for allows customers to create their own sale items, including digital downloads with customizeable licenses and yes, what smug mug calls proof delay.

The options could be as follows:

Instant File Download (is what is says, works like the current implementation)
    -customer description-
    The [insert chosen size and license] jpeg file you have selected will be availible for download immediately upon purchase, without additional delay for retouching, along with a printable document of "license selected"

Digital Download (allows photographers to sell downloads without necessitating complete print readiness of all uploads, which is frankly a ridiculous expectation)
    -customer description-
    The [insert chosen size and license] jpeg file you have selected will be availible for download along with a printable document of "selected license," however the seller has placed a hold of up to "x" days to finalize this purchased proof during which time the file will not be availible for dowload. When released you will recieve notification and links to download your file via email. In the event the seller does not release the file in the alotted time, the proof will be released as is.

So to answer specifically as to what the customer's experience would be:

The customer would upon selection of the DD recieve a message:

You've selected to purchase a "insert whatever we're calling it, a hi or low res jpeg image with whatever license." The seller has placed a hold of up to "x" days to finalize this purchased proof during which time the file will not be availible for dowload. When released you will recieve notification and links to download your file via email. In the event the seller does not release the file in the alotted time, the proof will be released as is.

<accept and purchase> <decline>

There ya go. Make this happen and I'm otherwise loving SM. The interface is great. The customer service is second to none. I can live without more built in self-fulfilment features for the time being, and can even justify the yearly pro subscription as well as 15% commission. The competition isn't as pretty, but they offer me the ability to retouch my digital downloads, create my own items, 10% comission, $99 yearly vs $150 for pro subscripton.

I've had both for some time and they both do well for me, but will be choosing them over SM when my current subscription wanes. Just a matter of business and it's a shame because I really prefer SM's appearance and other features and I know eventually you'll what I suggest above as it only makes sense.
    My Gear: Nikon D300, D200, D100, 80-200 f2.8, DVX100B
    regular site
    oo
    smug site
  • Options
    photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2007
    I, too, have been frustrated by this... My current way of working is to allow DDs to be purchased and then I immediately let them know that they will receive a second version via email that has been edited. It's not pretty, I don't like it, but it works okay.

As for the other company, I suspect I know who you're talking about. I had looked at them for a variety of reason including packages and digital downloads, but found that SM is still a much higher quality and has a better experience all around. I wish they had that stuff, but they don't and I'm starting to do my business slightly different because there isn't anyone who can match SM's interface - that I've found!

Anyway, PM me if you want more of my take on the company you're looking at - and to see if it's the same company even! - if you're interested in it.