Options

1st digital for 11 y/o?

mo'mo' Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
edited December 2, 2007 in Cameras
My 11 y/o grandson would like to try photography. Has been interested since he was a toddler. Seems the primary choice is usually between Canon and Nikon, but my purpose is to get him a camera that takes decent shots and is reliable. I just bought myself a Canon A570 IS, and I read reviews on a couple of Fujis. I'd like to spend less than $200 complete if I can do it. Any suggestions?
Thanks.
mo'

Comments

• Options
    RhuarcRhuarc Registered Users Posts: 1,464 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2007
    Are you looking for SLR type, or not? If you are I would say go with a used Rebel XT, but I'm not sure if even that used you could get under $200.
  • Options
    mrscimrsci Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited June 10, 2007
    15524779-Ti.gif with Rhuarc, the Rebel XT. Unfortunately, you can't get it for less than $200. You can only learn so much about photography with a point and shoot. An SLR gives you so much more control over your photo. I remember the time I got my first SLR. It was a lot of fun.
  • Options
    edited June 10, 2007
    Thanks, guys. I realize an SLR gives so much more control, but I got myself a point-and-shoot, and want one for him, for the basics of "seeing" and composing and focusing, etc. I started with a Pentax K-1000 and loved it, especially the darkroom, but it was very confusing at first. Guess I'd liken it to learning to drive an automatic before going to a straight stick. I'll look at a Rebel, too, b/c he could probably figure it all out together.
    mo'
  • Options
    BRATCHBRATCH Registered Users Posts: 45 Big grins
    edited June 10, 2007
    mo' wrote:
    Thanks, guys. I realize an SLR gives so much more control, but I got myself a point-and-shoot, and want one for him, for the basics of "seeing" and composing and focusing, etc. I started with a Pentax K-1000 and loved it, especially the darkroom, but it was very confusing at first. Guess I'd liken it to learning to drive an automatic before going to a straight stick. I'll look at a Rebel, too, b/c he could probably figure it all out together.
    mo'

Don't under estimate what you can do with a point-and-shoot camera. The first cameras I started with were Nikon Coolpixs. I started with a 995 and shot everything that I still shoot to this day. Football, basketball, everything. And with the Nikon models with those swivelling lenses, those things are darn handy in tight places and you can shoot low from the waist really easily too.

That being said, once I was handed a DSLR everything was so much easier, but for the most part the biggest difference over everything else was the speed. With point and shoots you have to be deliberate with each shot. You have to really understand what it is you are shooting, especially sports. With a PnS you don't have the luxury of being able to reel off 3 fps of a drive to the basket. You get one shot.

I would actually recommend a point and shoot over a DSLR for an 11 year old. With a PnS you don't hav to worry about them taking the lens off and rooting around in the body with a stick. It's lighter on the wallet and most of them have very good lenses with low apertures.

And the best part is that if the 11 year old burns out of shooting photos in 6 weeks you won't have a nice DSLR sitting around doing nothing.

As far as what PnS to get, I don't know. I would suggest something with a hotshoe for a possible external flash if they really get into it.
    If they hate you they have a subscription. -- Bratch
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,871 moderator
    edited June 10, 2007
    You might also consider a film 35mm camera. The extra latitude of film gives more tolerance in exposure, the 24 shots per roll will help him learn to think about each shot, he can later graduate to slide film which will challenge correct exposure and you can find decent quality 35mm film cameras, manual and automatic, well within your price range.

A pretty nice fixed lens SLR film camera is the Olympus IS-50 zoom camera. It's a fixed lens camera, and it has somewhat limited exposure modes, Aperture Priority and Program modes but not manual mode, and the focus is all automatic, but a pretty nice builtin flash with FP mode capability.

Not a bad package for a beginner.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/318365-REG/Olympus__IS_50_Deluxe_Date_Camera.html
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2007
    BRATCH wrote:
    Don't under estimate what you can do with a point-and-shoot camera. The first cameras I started with were Nikon Coolpixs. I started with a 995 and shot everything that I still shoot to this day. Football, basketball, everything. And with the Nikon models with those swivelling lenses, those things are darn handy in tight places and you can shoot low from the waist really easily too.

That being said, once I was handed a DSLR everything was so much easier, but for the most part the biggest difference over everything else was the speed. With point and shoots you have to be deliberate with each shot. You have to really understand what it is you are shooting, especially sports. With a PnS you don't have the luxury of being able to reel off 3 fps of a drive to the basket. You get one shot.

I would actually recommend a point and shoot over a DSLR for an 11 year old. With a PnS you don't hav to worry about them taking the lens off and rooting around in the body with a stick. It's lighter on the wallet and most of them have very good lenses with low apertures.

And the best part is that if the 11 year old burns out of shooting photos in 6 weeks you won't have a nice DSLR sitting around doing nothing.

As far as what PnS to get, I don't know. I would suggest something with a hotshoe for a possible external flash if they really get into it.

15524779-Ti.gif While I actually started out shooting film SLRs long before digital, those got set aside for years. I got into digital with a 995 myself. There's enough manual controls that you can learn all the basics of photography on it. I only stepped up to a DSLR when I ran the 995 to it's limits & couldn't get it to do what I needed.

So, the P&S idea is a good one, I'd just say make sure that there's the manual modes (aperture-priority, shutter-priority, and full manual) available in addition to the full-automatic modes. Maybe even a slightly used one; I just looked at KEH & they have a ton of digital P&S in the $200 range. Mostly EX & LN condition, which means "looks like it's right out of the box" to the rest of us. A few BGN, which would have a few cosmetic dings on the case, but functions 100%.
  • Options
    edited June 11, 2007
    Thank you, all. Good ideas and lots to think about. I actually have the Olympus film camera. I've suggested he play with his parents' camera for awhile to figure out whether he really likes it (don't remember what they have) and whether he has time, considerig all the other things he also likes.
    mo'
  • Options
    BeachBillBeachBill Registered Users Posts: 1,311 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2007
    mo' wrote:
    My 11 y/o grandson would like to try photography. Has been interested since he was a toddler. Seems the primary choice is usually between Canon and Nikon, but my purpose is to get him a camera that takes decent shots and is reliable. I just bought myself a Canon A570 IS, and I read reviews on a couple of Fujis. I'd like to spend less than $200 complete if I can do it. Any suggestions?

I would recommend the Canon Powershot A460 for an 11yr old. We got our 8yr old son the previous model last year and it's an excellent quality introductory camera. In fact our son is entering an awesome shot of the Yosemite Chapel that he took with his camera last summer in our local county fair.

The A460 is $115 at B&H and I'm sure it's similarly priced elsewhere.

Thinking about getting one of these for our 6yr old daughter.
    Bill Gerrard Photography - Facebook - Interview - SmugRoom: Useful Tools for SmugMug
  • Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2007
    I would get him a $200 point and shoot that has manual aperture and shutter speed like the Canon A630/640, and tell him to leave the dial on M when he wants to learn.
  • Options
    TeamSpeedTeamSpeed Registered Users Posts: 261 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2007
    I would look for the venerable Canon G2/G3, great camera, does movie mode, and takes wonderful pictures. Easy to use and hold for an 11yr old.
    7D, 70-200L IS, 17-55 IS 2.8, 150 2.8 macro, 12-24, 100-400L, 85 1.8, 50 1.4
  • Options
    edited June 11, 2007
    Thank you all for your great advice! There really is SO much to learn, isn't there?
  • Options
    wellmanwellman Registered Users Posts: 961 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2007
    This thread is making me look forward a few years with a grin. My kids are 4 and 2 (with another on the way soon!), and I love the thought of heading out on father/son and father/daughter photography expeditions. So how young is old enough for a first camera? :D
  • Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2007
    wellman wrote:
    This thread is making me look forward a few years with a grin. My kids are 4 and 2 (with another on the way soon!), and I love the thought of heading out on father/son and father/daughter photography expeditions. So how young is old enough for a first camera? :D
    You can start shooting today....mwink.gif
  • Options
    wellmanwellman Registered Users Posts: 961 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2007
    ivar wrote:

Now those are some good gift ideas? Oh the longing a father has to hear his first child say, "Daddy, what's an ISO?" :D
  • Options
    edited June 20, 2007
    wellman wrote:

My kids both have photos entered in the county fair this year. They were 5 and 8 when they took the photos and both are pretty good. We will know next month if the get any ribbons.

I've had a few photo "expeditions" with my son so far. Last year (when he was 8) he wandered around Bodie with me taking pictures (mirroring my every move, tripod and all) and we've been to a couple woodie shows together (up at 5am to get the sweet morning light on the cars at sunrise). It's been fun.

Just the other day, my just turned 2 year old had my wife's camera, her arm through the wrist strap. I watched her turn on the camera, hold it up, look at the LCD and snap a picture. It came out pretty good too! Maybe she will have a photo in the fair next year. It's amazing what these young ones learn just by watching everything their parents do.
    Bill Gerrard Photography - Facebook - Interview - SmugRoom: Useful Tools for SmugMug
  • Options
    CathieTCathieT Registered Users Posts: 56 Big grins
    edited June 21, 2007
    Grandma and Grandpa bought our 7 year old a Canon A430 for his birthday this year. He started of with a Kodak 1mp brick given to him a year ago, persevered and learnt.

He's happy now - he has a viewfinder like mum's, zoom (that was most important) and a hole for a tripod!!
    Cheers,
    Cathie

My Smugallery
    My Blog

If at first you don't succeed - you're doing about average!
  • Options
    RhuarcRhuarc Registered Users Posts: 1,464 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2007
    CathieT wrote:
    Grandma and Grandpa bought our 7 year old a Canon A430 for his birthday this year. He started of with a Kodak 1mp brick given to him a year ago, persevered and learnt.

He's happy now - he has a viewfinder like mum's, zoom (that was most important) and a hole for a tripod!!

If he is loking for a good tripod I'm sure there are plenty of threads here to help him pick out a good one! thumb.gif

THat is awesome though. I can't wait to have kids and force my hobbies on them! :D j/k at least a little!
  • Options
    edited October 15, 2007
    BeachBill wrote:
    My kids both have photos entered in the county fair this year. They were 5 and 8 when they took the photos and both are pretty good. We will know next month if the get any ribbons.
    I just realized I posted this, but never posted a follow up. My son's photo of the chapel in Yosemite Valley got a nice blue first place ribbon for his age group and a massive purple ribbon for winning the entire division. thumb.gif Now if only I could do that good at the fair. ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,871 moderator
    edited October 15, 2007
    BeachBill wrote:
    ... My son's photo of the chapel in Yosemite Valley got a nice blue first place ribbon for his age group and a massive purple ribbon for winning the entire division. thumb.gif ...

Bill that's wonderful! thumb.gif Please tell your son "congratulations" for me. clap.gifclap
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    sirsloopsirsloop Registered Users Posts: 866 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2007
    Olympus Stylus 720 SW

Waterproof to 3m* and resistant to falls from up to 1.5m*, this attractive yet incredibly robust camera can take pretty much anything life throws at it – whether that’s being showered with champers or dropped into a mountain stream.

thumb.gifthumb

We are talking about an 11yr old here. It will get dropped, it will get wet, it will get banged around in book bags. Fits the budget pretty well... they are around 250 new. Lol.. I wouldn't buy a used one of these cause someone may have tested out that drop-resistant rating on it! HA!
  • Options
    k2butterk2butter Registered Users Posts: 259 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2007
    I learned digital on a fuji 5200, I thought it was great, had many manual setting options, great zoom... there were plenty of things to learn from that point and shoot!
  • Options
    grassygrassy Registered Users Posts: 27 Big grins
    edited December 2, 2007
    I bought my daughter a *isd-ds kit...marvelous camera...I had a few legacy lens that we played around with....the second year, bought her a decent flash and 70~300 Sigma...she now makes more spending money in the summer selling pics than I ever did mowing lawns and shoveling walkways...

Her pics now grace other web sites and have make it into print media.

I am now looking a Pentax K10 for her...an incredible camera for the dollars..and built to be used in any environment..

I would suggest starting off the little fella with a K100...it is a great kit at the right price..

BTW, I think it was suggested here but make sure you put a camera in the hands of the user...when we went out shopping, I am glad we did...sarah found the rebel to be too big and ackward..

Ian :)
  • Options
    RayManganRayMangan Registered Users Posts: 55 Big grins
    edited December 2, 2007
    I'm going to have to agree with the suggesting of getting him a used manual film slr. It would give him such an advantage learning the rules of lighting and metering and it would really encourage him to think about that only having 24-36 exposures. Plus when/if he moves to digital he would have a new found respect for the 500+ pictures and instant feedback of the LCD.

You have to pour a foundation before you can build a house!