Options

Dead Tsunami Couple's Camera Found

wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
edited February 26, 2005 in The Big Picture
A man wandering the beach in Thailand has found the camera of a missing Canadian couple. On it are the last few pics of their lives, as the tsunami came crashing in.

The man found the couple's family, who have shared the images.

Link to story.

Link to photos.
Sid.
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au

Comments

• Options
    BodwickBodwick Registered Users Posts: 396 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    A man wandering the beach in Thailand has found the camera of a missing Canadian couple. On it are the last few pics of their lives, as the tsunami came crashing in.

The man found the couple's family, who have shared the images.

Link to story.

Link to photos.

The pictures were published in yesterdays paper over here in the UK. The size of the wave is staggering....Un-survivable......

I wondered what I would have done if I'd been stood on a beach with a wave that size approaching. I like to think I'd have noticed the rapid retreat of the water and realised it was time to go.
    I'd never have gone far enough or fast enough or realised just how bad it was going to be untill too late though. And considering how far into and accross the land it continued if you did not make high ground(just to the left of the beach shots) you had no chance.

Nasty business........

Would I have taken any photo's? I suppose so, having nearly been killed by a car at a Dakar I realised I should watch out for No.1 by being more aware at whats going on rather than keeping on photographing an out of control car thats coming straight at me..
    But somtimes danger is not very obvious untill too late. Wave or a car I'd probably have stood exactly where these poor people stood snapping away thinking I'll be ok it's only a wave...

But in future If I'm ever unlucky enough to be standing on a beach and the water starts draining out to sea I'll be running like the wind......
    "The important thing is to just take the picture with the lens you have when the picture happens."
    Jerry Lodriguss - Sports Photographer

Reporters sans frontières
  • Options
    edited February 26, 2005
    Yeah, I'd like to think I'd take the retreating water as a sign. But I'm pretty sure I would not have, as I've never seen a tsunami before. Maybe I would have run like heck when I saw the big roller in the distance, but again, maybe not. :uhoh
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • Options
    KalamataKalamata Registered Users Posts: 97 Big grins
    edited February 26, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    Yeah, I'd like to think I'd take the retreating water as a sign. But I'm pretty sure I would not have, as I've never seen a tsunami before. Maybe I would have run like heck when I saw the big roller in the distance, but again, maybe not. :uhoh

They would have to be the most graphic pictures that I have seen of the tsunami, and AFAIK the press in OZ haven't picked up on them yet. I grew up in HI in the 50s and 60s recall going to the beach 3 or 4 times to watch tsunami's. That all changed in 1960 when 60+ people were killed in Hilo doing the exact same thing. Seems like most tsunami's i witness hit at night and with all the boats exiting Ala Moana it was strange seeing hundreds of lights off Waikiki. As an aside my son was in Bali end of Jan. and commented that the beaches were covered in rubber foot ware that had drifted down from Northern Sumarta. A sad reminder.
    :cry
  • Options
    edited February 26, 2005
    Kalamata wrote:
    As an aside my son was in Bali end of Jan. and commented that the beaches were covered in rubber foot ware that had drifted down from Northern Sumarta. A sad reminder.
    :cry
    Wow, that is sad.
    Sid.