Options

Astrophotos

gottagotta Registered Users Posts: 81 Big grins
edited March 19, 2004 in The Dgrin Challenges
These were taken with my camera coupled to the eyepiece on my telescope. Focusing is tough and a remote release helps. The Nikon 4300 also has a video out port which I connect to a b&w monitor for focusing. I find these challenging.

Regards, Eric

Comments

• Options
    edited March 17, 2004
    another
  • Options
    edited March 17, 2004
    another
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2004
    brillient mate thumb.gif wish i could do it.
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2004
    Wow, those are fantastic! clap.gif Nice work. It's amazing that things stand out in relief.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited March 17, 2004
    Thanks guys! I really like the different areas of of contrast in this one.

Regards, Eric
  • Options
    TJAmyTJAmy Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
    edited March 17, 2004
    gotta wrote:
    Thanks guys! I really like the different areas of of contrast in this one.

Regards, Eric
    Great work!!! Can I get it in poster size? Hee hee!
  • Options
    Win38-55Win38-55 Registered Users Posts: 57 Big grins
    edited March 17, 2004
    I would travel in space in a heartbeat. Would not think twice. If aliens landed and said lets go I would.mwink.gifthumb.gif Nice photos.
  • Options
    SeamaidenSeamaiden Registered Users Posts: 339 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2004
    WOW Eric!

Humun.. I'm curious.. being south of the equator, when you look at the moon, are you looking at its backside, or underside? headscratch.gif

lol3.gif
    Youth and Enthusiasm
    Are No Match For
    Age and Treachery
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,911 moderator
    edited March 18, 2004
    gotta wrote:
    These were taken with my camera coupled to the eyepiece on my telescope. Focusing is tough and a remote release helps. The Nikon 4300 also has a video out port which I connect to a b&w monitor for focusing. I find these challenging.

Regards, Eric
    Eric, could you elaborate on the method? Do you use a thread-on eyepiece
    (like a scopetronix) for the magnification? I have experimented with the camera
    holder, eyepiece mount and most recently with a T-ring.

Thanks!
    Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited March 18, 2004
    Ian, I use ScopeTronix digi-T system of eyepiece projection. It mounts the camera directly to the eyepiece of choice. My Nikon 4300 is fairly light, so the weight on the eyepiece is no problem. My scope uses 1.25" lenses. The procedure is as follows: I orient the scope and get the tracking system going. I mount the adapter ring to the camera, which is really a tube since the 4300's lens extends out from the camera a bit. In eyepiece projection, your camera is actually taking a picture of the image as in passes through the eyepiece, where it is focused. The adapters are set for the closest possible focus of whichever camera you have. Mine ends up about 1 1/2" from the eyepiece. The rubber is removed from the eyepiece and the mounting ring is clamped on the eyepiece. It's threaded on the outside to recieve the camera. Without the camera, I take great care in focusing with just the eyepiece, when that's set, I remove the eyepiece and thread it on to the camera. The the whole set up goes onto the scope. I have a remote release cable for the 4300 which will do everything I need so you don't have to bother the scope. I shoot in manual mode, MACRO. Macro because you are taking a picture of the eyepiece image. I manually focus either using a large magnifying glass on the cams view screen, or I hook up the camera to a 9" black and white security monitor. I bracket the exposures usually starting at 1/60th at f/4, ISO 100. I sometimes will bracket the focus on the scope, making minor adjustments as I go.

I also have some pictures of a forrest fire I shot at night through my scope. This yielded some interesting pictures which I'll post in another thread. Thanks for your interest.

Regards, Eric
  • Options
    edited March 18, 2004
    WOW Eric!

Humun.. I'm curious.. being south of the equator, when you look at the moon, are you looking at its backside, or underside? headscratch.gif
    I'm north of the equator, so I look at the side facing me.:D Actually Sea, I don't know...I think the whole world looks at the same side. Hmm.

Regards, Eric
  • Options
    edited March 18, 2004
    This was about the best picture I got of Mars last summer.

Regards, Eric
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,911 moderator
    edited March 19, 2004
    gotta wrote:
    This was about the best picture I got of Mars last summer.

Regards, Eric
    That's a nice picture.

Have you tried using Astrostack?

Allows you to mung several images to make one. Most useful if you shoot
    video or make a number of images.

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited March 19, 2004
    I've tried using Astrostack, and had some problems trying to figure it out. I need to spend some more time with the program.

Regards, Eric